2015 / 2016 Line Up

2slowtogofast

Yep.

Unless DB sees this as a way of messing up the Nucks' 2nd & 3rd lines there isn't much to be gained w/ these lines other than reinforcing 'd*mn it Eich, you've gotta start shooting the puck.'

Which would be a mistake, I think. Yes, we want Eichel to be shooting the puck, he obviously has a great shot. But his best asset is his playmaking. It would be an error to actively try to minimize that aspect of his game. He needs wingers that can finish.

I didn't like the Eichel and Kane pairing, but I find myself longing for even that now.

On Larsson and Eichel:

"When Larsson got a chance to play there, 4 games ago, he's played his best hockey. More tenacious, more with an edge, skating ability on par with Jack" 

Sure. But the focus for that line needs to be on Eichel. I don't care if it's helping improve Larsson's game, if it's suffocating Jack's. I'm sure Eichel would be able to elevate Deslauriers's game too, but we need someone there who will maximize Jack's.

That first line is a shut down line. The reason Gionta is there is because he's a vet, and all coaches lean on vets when they need to counter a line like the Sedin's line.

I would rather Eichel be paired with Reinhart. The problem for Bylsma is that they're both rookies (effectively, in Samson's case).

What we're seeing with these line combos is Bylsma's conservatism.

I also think Bylsma might consider himself to be in a dilemma: all of his puzzle pieces aren't fitting together as smoothly as he had hoped. So, he's like an obsessed kid trying to make his Legos work for him. At least that's my interpretation of the constant line juggling.

I think we might want to officially start figuring out who isn't fitting. My nominees are Gionta, Ennis, and Larson.

That first line is a shut down line. The reason Gionta is there is because he's a vet, and all coaches lean on vets when they need to counter a line like the Sedin's line.

I would rather Eichel be paired with Reinhart. The problem for Bylsma is that they're both rookies (effectively, in Samson's case).

What we're seeing with these line combos is Bylsma's conservatism.

I also think Bylsma might consider himself to be in a dilemma: all of his puzzle pieces aren't fitting together as smoothly as he had hoped. So, he's like an obsessed kid trying to make his Legos work for him. At least that's my interpretation of the constant line juggling.

I think we might want to officially start figuring out who isn't fitting. My nominees are Gionta, Ennis, and Larson.

The problem with the first line being a shut down line is that it contains Matt Moulson. He's as far from a strong defensive forward as we have.

Ennis fits he's just starting off slow, give it a couple months.

Larsson is a conundrum since he's ineffective as a 3rd / 4th liner and not quite skilled enough for the top 2 lines.

Gionta needs to have 3rd/4th line minutes, he seems to need time before he starts playing any better

Seems like they have a date in mind

https://twitter.com/BuffNewsVogl/status/663781649935527936

Sabres' Bylsma on Bogosian: "There is a date when you will see him. Eventually, you will see it come to fruition." http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/11/09/bogosian-still-absent-from-sabres-practice/

"He’s doing well, on progression, building a foundation," the coach said. "There is a date when you will see him. Eventually, you will see it come to fruition. He’s not going on the trip with us here. He will be skating back here and has ramped up where he’s at. He’s in some higher-level stages than three days ago."

All season long, when Bogo's return has been discussed it always appeared to be one or two weeks off.  That's pretty much what I'm getting from that.  So he's been a week or two out for close to two months.  I'll curb my enthusiasm until I see him in the lineup, if you don't mind.

As for the lines in that report,

Matt Moulson-Ryan O'Reilly-Brian Gionta

Jamie McGinn-Jack Eichel-Tyler Ennis

Johan Larsson-Zemgus Girgensons-Sam Reinhart

Nicolas Deslauriers-David Legwand/Tim Schaller-Marcus Foligno

I'm okay with them.  ROR will be fine with any wings I think.  Looking at the other lines, I like the idea of the younger guys on lines with the younger guys.  Build some team chemistry with the pieces that will be here longterm.  I can see ROR shifting over to another line at some point but for now I kind of like what I see.  I just wish Moulson would bury some more pucks.

#Sabres lines at practice:

Moulson-O'Reilly-Gionta

McGinn-Eichel-Ennis

Larsson-Girgensons-Reinhart

Deslauriers-Legwand/Schaller-Foligno

I suppose I should give Moulson more time before mentally writing him off, but I'm getting impatient with him. 

At this point I'm ready to drop him to the 4th line and bring Foligno up with ROR and Gionta.

I suppose I should give Moulson more time before mentally writing him off, but I'm getting impatient with him.

At this point I'm ready to drop him to the 4th line and bring Foligno up with ROR and Gionta.

You don't think Moulson should be given a shot with Eichel? Warum nicht?

I don't understand how anybody can be up on Gionta and down on Moulson.

You don't think Moulson should be given a shot with Eichel? Warum nicht?

I don't understand how anybody can be up on Gionta and down on Moulson.

Moulson did get that shot, vs Vancouver, and missed converting a perfect feed from Eichel.

So that's it -- he's dead to me.

I wouldn't mind flipping Foligno for Gionta instead of Moulson, but I'd slightly prefer dropping Moulson.

Moulson missed once and he's all of the sudden 4th line fodder? Moulson is at his worst in a grinder role and at his best when he can set up in the O zone. Gionta is much more of an effort player who's game makes sense on our 4th line.

You were quick enough to defend Eichel-Kane despite one glorious opportunity that I can remember being squandered by Kane.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Here's a good example where Wild's post about today's lines could be a new thread instead of getting tacked on to a thread that started in March. The thread title is generic and many, many people won't open this thread to see this interesting chat. Just my two cents...

Moulson missed once and he's all of the sudden 4th line fodder? Moulson is at his worst in a grinder role and at his best when he can set up in the O zone. Gionta is much more of an effort player who's game makes sense on our 4th line.

You were quick enough to defend Eichel-Kane despite one glorious opportunity that I can remember being squandered by Kane.

I'm exaggerating, but not by that much.

And my conclusion on Moulson is based on all of last year, plus the start of this year.  He's supposed to be a finisher.  He's supposed to convert loose pucks "in the dirty areas" into goals.  If he's not doing that, he's pretty much JAG.

I suppose it's fair to give him a few more games with Jack-Jack before throwing him over though.

Kane squandered at least three open nets that I can remember on feeds from Eichel. Moulson deserves to be up there. I'm thrilled to see Ennis with Eichel though, and that Larsson is finally off of his wing

Why?

Here's a good example where Wild's post about today's lines could be a new thread instead of getting tacked on to a thread that started in March. The thread title is generic and many, many people won't open this thread to see this interesting chat. Just my two cents...

So start one.  Does the government have to do everything?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.