2015 / 2016 Line Up

2slowtogofast

He's not. But he's a damn near close to the perfect depth roster player.

Exactly. I hope he's here for a long time.

Sure but are guys like Gallagher, Garbutt, Maroon, Dupuis, Eakin, etc? All top 6 guys on top teams. Some very successful teams' approach is balance, and we're getting closer to being afforded the depth to follow that lead. All I'm saying.

Guys like Dupuis, Gallagher and Eakin have a lot more offense to their game and fit into a top-six role. Garbutt is on Chicago's third line. But you're on point with what you're saying. Guys can play in the top-six even if they're not a top-six talent, but they've got to have the type of game that fits there long-term. I don't think Delo does.

Neither is Justin Abdelkader. He has a very similar style of play and talent level to Deslauriers. Yet there he is on Detroit's top line.

I think you're under rating Abdelkader. He's an occasionally dirty but very talented player. He's got a finishing touch.

Deslauriers has certainly passed my expected ceiling already. I'll give Murray credit for seeing something there.

The guy only started playing his position a little over two years ago.

Sometimes unexpected players just keep getting better and smash all our expectations.

Not saying that's Nick, but it happens. Remember Bobby Nystrom and John Tonelli?

Schaller is a guy you use in emergency situations sparingly.  He's a McCormick type of kid.  I don't really think there's much more outside of that.  McCabe has improved each and every game since his insertion into the top six under Bylsma.  He's entering the rush and making clean passes.  He's always had the physical upside that you need to make Mike Weber irrelevant, which is what you ultimately want.  All their missing on the back 6 is a bona fide number one defensemen.

Ryan Ellis would be a perfect fit from Nashville who has long term contracts on everyone but Seth Jones at this point.  He's undersized, but his puck movement and speed are off the charts.  

I know Gorges has his detractors, but I like the combination of he and Risto.

Seems to be a good match and they've been pretty effective against some tough matchups.

The McCabe/Franson combo has also looked like a pretty good complement.

My question is what happens when Bogo comes back?

If it's me, I stick with the above pairs, shift Pysyk to the left side and match him up with Zach.

McCabe and Risto's maturation is actually creating some depth.

The Bogo return, if it ever happens, will be interesting. My gut tells me Colaiacovo goes down. My brain tells me Weber should (wouldn't be shocked to see a team claim him on waivers). If Murray knows ahead of time that Bogo will be returning for sure he should shop whichever vet he plans to send down. You're not going to get much (if anything), but it's worth that rather than waiving them.

The Bogo return, if it ever happens, will be interesting. My gut tells me Colaiacovo goes down. My brain tells me Weber should (wouldn't be shocked to see a team claim him on waivers). If Murray knows ahead of time that Bogo will be returning for sure he should shop whichever vet he plans to send down. You're not going to get much (if anything), but it's worth that rather than waiving them.

...Reinhart gets sent down, and Andrew Peters' dreams come true  :ph34r:

Deslauriers has certainly passed my expected ceiling already. I'll give Murray credit for seeing something there.

The guy only started playing his position a little over two years ago.

Sometimes unexpected players just keep getting better and smash all our expectations.

Not saying that's Nick, but it happens. Remember Bobby Nystrom and John Tonelli?

The other thing about Nic that I really like is he gives you defensive depth on the bench.  There was a game last year when the Sabres had 3 Dmen in the penalty box.  No worries, just roll two D pairs, one of which had Deslauriers.  Even this year I noticed defensemen joining the rush, the puck turning over and Deslauriers with the remaining Dman backing up and covering as if he'd been playing D all game.  You'll see other forwards covering a pinching D, but when they do they look like forwards.  Deslauriers just snaps into Dman mode.

This team really needs a bump defensively.

Bogo is the hard-nosed type they need.

He's in line to help this team.

Plus he'll be right there if the other team decides to snow our goaltender.

I just hope this injury isn't something serious (i.e. I hope he didn't blow his knee).

The Sabres have a sweettooth and Bogo is the sugar to fulfill their needs.

Since Bylsma is such a line tweaker we might have to look into the eightball to see who Bogo is paired with.

He's also got an awesome personality, occasionally making teammates snort with laughter.

Edited by Hoss

This team really needs a bump defensively.

Bogo is the hard-nosed type they need.

He's in line to help this team.

Plus he'll be right there if the other team decides to snow our goaltender.

I just hope this injury isn't something serious (i.e. I hope he didn't blow his knee).

The Sabres have a sweettooth and Bogo is the sugar to fulfill their needs.

Since Bylsma is such a line tweaker we might have to look into the eightball to see who Bogo is paired with.

He's also got an awesome personality, occasionally making teammates snort with laughter.

I can wait for him to come back, the hero riding his white horse.

I know Gorges has his detractors, but I like the combination of he and Risto.

Seems to be a good match and they've been pretty effective against some tough matchups.

The McCabe/Franson combo has also looked like a pretty good complement.

My question is what happens when Bogo comes back?

If it's me, I stick with the above pairs, shift Pysyk to the left side and match him up with Zach.

McCabe and Risto's maturation is actually creating some depth.

When Bogo returns, I think he jumps pretty quickly into the top pair with Risto.

Then Gorges-McCabe

Then  Franson-Pysyk, with Franson still getting #1 PP time (unless Bogo grabs it).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.