GDT: Buffalo at Nashville. 3/21/2015 8:00 MSG

Doohickie

Buffalo has lost eight of its past nine games (1-6-2). The Sabres recalled forward Mikhail Grigorenko on Friday. He was minus-2 in 8:09 against New Jersey. "Right now, guys are vying for jobs, and (we're) seeing how they respond," coach Ted Nolan said. "You look at (Johan) Larsson, he's made a good name for himself and really taken advantage of it. (Philip) Varone's doing it. Grigorenko, his first game here [since March 6], he has to learn how do that also."

Predators center Colin Wilson, who has 40 points (20 goals) in 68 games, is day-to-day with a lower-body injury. Nashville recalled Viktor Arvidsson from Milwaukee of the AHL on an emergency basis. The Predators have not played since losing 3-2 in overtime to the Minnesota Wild on Tuesday, their ninth loss in 11 games (2-8-1). Despite its recent struggles, Nashville enters Saturday two points behind the St. Louis Blues for first place in the Central Division. Coach Peter Laviolette gave the Predators the day off Wednesday before holding full practice sessions on back-to-back days. "[We] look to take all of that and bring it to the game on Saturday."

Who do you think wins the Battle of the Sabre Toothed Mascots?

2012+NHL+Star+Game+Mascot+Portraits+XB7l  GNASH+2012+NHL+Star+Game+Mascot+Portrait

By the way, did anyone out there realize that the Preds and the Sabres both have a sabre-tooth cat as a mascot?  I didn't until I tripped across the pic above while trying to think of something intelligent to post.  (Obviously I came up empty and resorted to the pictures.)

Sabretooth looks like a guy you could tell some dirty stories, while drinking a couple a beers and trying to pick up some ladies.

The predator looks like he's gonna get caught by Chris Hansen. 

See, I get the opposite vibe. I feel like Tooth has Skittles, flavored lube and a cordless power drill somewhere in that get-up.

Gnash puts Sabretooth to shame.  The Preds use him for all sorts of in-game marketing.  That's not a coincidence since the guy inside the costume's day job is in the Preds Marketing Department.

Anyone reading this going to the game tonight?

I think Kim Pegula's job is in game stuff and honestly, there are a ton of things done around the league we can't be bothered with. Yes I am openly questioning Kim's ability.  

If I wanted to drive 5 hours I could totally go tonight.

I think Kim Pegula's job is in game stuff and honestly, there are a ton of things done around the league we can't be bothered with. Yes I am openly questioning Kim's ability.  

If I wanted to drive 5 hours I could totally go tonight.

Leave now and I will give you a ticket.  I have an extra!

Nashville is an interesting story. A couple of seasons ago they lose Ryan Suter and end up drafting 4th overall and here they are today a legit Cup contender 3rd in the Western Conference. For those hoping for a quick Sabres turnaround, Nashville offers a little hope. Different circumstances overall, still a glimpse of hope.

Who's playing in net for Nashville tonight, Turd Ferguson?

They're in danger of slipping out of home-ice advantage, haven't played since Tuesday and won't again until next Tuesday, so I can't imagine them starting anyone but Rinne. 

Nolan suggested Hackett might go, but Lindback used to be a Pred, so who knows who we'll have in net.

Pekka is always in net unless he in injured or there is a back-to-back.  The Preds need this one so they will be motivated.

I'm wearing my new Zadorov jersey to the game tonight.  I was on the fence about wearing Preds gear vs. Sabres gear (I have Preds playoff tickets, so I want them to win out down the stretch).  But, pre- and post-game it is better to wear Sabres stuff since there will be a ton of Buffalonians at the game and around town, especially for a weekend game.

Nashville is an interesting story. A couple of seasons ago they lose Ryan Suter and end up drafting 4th overall and here they are today a legit Cup contender 3rd in the Western Conference. For those hoping for a quick Sabres turnaround, Nashville offers a little hope. Different circumstances overall, still a glimpse of hope.

The Preds draft exceedingly well in the middle and late rounds.  This forum seems to ignore anything other than high first-round picks.  But, you can build a very good team if you "hit" on some of those later picks.  Shea Weber, Mattias Ekholm, Roman Josi, Pekka Rinne, Craig Smith, Taylor Beck, Gabriel Bourque, Cody Franson, etc. are all very good players drafted 2nd round or later.

Our goalie Lindback was a 7th round Preds draft pick (as was former 30-goal scorer Patric Hornqvist).

The Preds draft exceedingly well in the middle and late rounds.  This forum seems to ignore anything other than high first-round picks.  But, you can build a very good team if you "hit" on some of those later picks.  Shea Weber, Mattias Ekholm, Roman Josi, Pekka Rinne, Craig Smith, Taylor Beck, Gabriel Bourque, Cody Franson, etc. are all very good players drafted 2nd round or later.

Our goalie Lindback was a 7th round Preds draft pick (as was former 30-goal scorer Patric Hornqvist).

Which is why the pens fail at winning cups and why the oilers are mired in last place year after year.

I really don't think we ignore mid-round picks, as there's been plenty of talk about Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching et al. It's just that most of those players are so far away from contributing in the NHL when they get drafted that they're not the most interesting conversation pieces. It's pretty natural to focus on the guys and picks 1-2 years away rather than 3-4.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.