Grigorenko

DirtDart

Or we could give him a fair contract and a steady spot with two talented line mates and give him next year to prove his stuff.  That's a tough spot for TM to be in when our roster is already looking to be quite inexperienced, so a Grigs trade seems quite likely, as you've said in the past. 

Oh, and "wreak" is the word you're looking for.  Reek pertains to smell.

You know the overwhelming majority of his minutes this year are with Stewart and Hodgson right?  He's spent twice as much time on the ice with them than anyone else.  

So the Grigo never plays with anyone talented thing needs to stop

I would hate to lose Nikita in a trade this early in his development. In a scenario where we get one of McEichel in the draft, I would hope GMTM doesn't make this deal. If we end up in a situation where we are drafting Hanifin at 3, I would be a lot more open to a Grigorenko and Zadorov for O'Reilly deal. That is if the trade is even to the Avs liking. 

I agree.  Zadorov has so much raw talent still that I would hate to see the 19yr old get traded.  

You know the overwhelming majority of his minutes this year are with Stewart and Hodgson right?  He's spent twice as much time on the ice with them than anyone else.  

just keep in mind he only played 13 games averaging 12minutes on the worst team in the NHL.  

just keep in mind he only played 13 games averaging 12minutes on the worst team in the NHL.  

And also remember that was "early in the season" Stewart.  The one that had attitude issues and butted heads with Nolan.  When most people think of Stewart, they think of "if I play well enough they'll trade me off this damn team" Stewart.

And also remember that was "early in the season" Stewart.  The one that had attitude issues and butted heads with Nolan.  When most people think of Stewart, they think of "if I play well enough they'll trade me off this damn team" Stewart.

It was december/jan and Stewart had 7 pts in the 12 game stretch that Grigo was up. 1 of those came when he was on the ice with him. So not really. 

Edited by Patty16

I think if Larsson played well the rest of the way you could say Larsson, Grigorenko, the late 2015 1st for ROR as a good starting point. 

With the Islanders doing a late slide that #1 could be around 20. I'd place Pysyk, Grigs and that #1 for ROR.

Then with a little change in paradigm the 3 lines could look like...

Z.Girgs..... ROR.... Ennis

Kane.....McEichel..... Reinhart (right hander) When this lines ready, move them to #1

Foligno.... Larsson..... CoHo (another RHer)

Moulson.... PickSomeone....Gionta

I'd be excited to watch them again!!!! Especially after the past 2 years.

We've sparred on this quite enough.  We both know where we stand.  And Stewart and Hodgson both suck balls.  There's not a lick of defense in either of them.

With the Islanders doing a late slide that #1 could be around 20. I'd place Pysyk, Grigs and that #1 for ROR.

Kane.....McEichel..... Reinhart (right hander) When this lines ready, move them to #1

That lineup relegates Moulson and Gionta useless. I'd rather see Moulson in my top 6 and Gionta in Hodgsons place. Really hoping Murray buys him out.

That lineup relegates Moulson and Gionta useless. I'd rather see Moulson in my top 6 and Gionta in Hodgsons place. Really hoping Murray buys him out.

Gionta's what 36 now, will be 37 next year??? I could see Moulson moving up but at some time you have to let the young guys have their chance. Besides the top 2 lines would be a major upgrade over anything we have now. In a short time frame, I've been impressed with Larsson, Foligno has been coming around, CoHo might be ok if last year wasn't an aberration.

I don't think Reinhart and McEichel shouldn be on the same line.  Both are rookies and Reinhart seems to me to be an assist guy more than a scorer.  I actually think Kane and Moulson should be on the same line.  From what i've heard Kane likes to carry the puck to the net and Moulson is the kind of player that cleans up around the net or works best from feeds on the drive to the net. Foligno, Larsson and Reinhart might work.  I wouldn't be surprised though that Reinhart spends some time in the AHL because he may need to and because he can.

Gionta's what 36 now, will be 37 next year??? I could see Moulson moving up but at some time you have to let the young guys have their chance. Besides the top 2 lines would be a major upgrade over anything we have now. In a short time frame, I've been impressed with Larsson, Foligno has been coming around, CoHo might be ok if last year wasn't an aberration.

I'm not advocating for Gionta, he should probably hang em up after this season. Which is even more reason to not have him on Moulson's line. Hodgson might regain his scoring if used properly but to escape that contract with such little penalty is too tempting.

It's the Tim Murray way.

I still have a bad taste in my mouth due to that alleged quote attributed, all be it by someone with questionable credibility, to Murray, but I will say this.

I have no problem if he overpays for a player whom he thinks will make the Sabres a better team.

I don't think Reinhart and McEichel shouldn be on the same line.  Both are rookies and Reinhart seems to me to be an assist guy more than a scorer.  I actually think Kane and Moulson should be on the same line.  From what i've heard Kane likes to carry the puck to the net and Moulson is the kind of player that cleans up around the net or works best from feeds on the drive to the net. Foligno, Larsson and Reinhart might work.  I wouldn't be surprised though that Reinhart spends some time in the AHL because he may need to and because he can.

Rookie year will have both of them adjusting but if they're as good as advertised, teaming up with Kane should have them rolling by mid-year. My other portion of madness comes from us having so many LHers that placing 2 of our RHers on two separate lines makes sense (to me anyway). Also the Girgs-ROR-Ennis line has enough of vets on it to compensate for a lack of it but they wouldn't be the first line in the NHL built that way. Also with Reinhart knowing McDavid and having played with him would give them both some confidence and Eichel has the size to hold his own. Third line might work because Foligno is a bruiser, Larsson appears to be a possession guy and hopefully CoHo can regain his scoring touch. If you'd prefer Moulson it's the 3rd line, anything you get out of it will all be good compared to this years.

I'm not advocating for Gionta, he should probably hang em up after this season. Which is even more reason to not have him on Moulson's line

And as for the 4th line, after the past 2 years is that really a priority for next year??

I'm not advocating for Gionta, he should probably hang em up after this season. Which is even more reason to not have him on Moulson's line. Hodgson might regain his scoring if used properly but to escape that contract with such little penalty is too tempting.

If Hodgson regains his scoring touch we can get out of his contract with an asset.

Sam Reinhart is not going to be a winger. He is a puck distributing center.  RW would suit him ill.  It makes the most sense to keep Kane where he is best, lw and to move either Girgensons or Ennis to the right.  

I agree with you in principle but if they trade for a vet Center, you're going to play this guy the 2nd pick of the draft, especially on this team on the 3rd line??? Who's he going to pass to??? He needs to play with talent to get better to reach his potential. Sticking him as a winger early in his career is not the death sentence playing on the 3rd line could be plus possibly playing for Nolan, GOD FORBID.

I agree with you in principle but if they trade for a vet Center, you're going to play this guy the 2nd pick of the draft, especially on this team on the 3rd line??? Who's he going to pass to??? He needs to play with talent to get better to reach his potential. Sticking him as a winger early in his career is not the death sentence playing on the 3rd line could be plus possibly playing for Nolan, GOD FORBID.

I am going to put ROR on the wing or on the 3rd line. He isn't a 1st line center but Reinhart has that ability. 

Okay Reinhart is a puck distributor, that is why I do not want him on the wing.  I want him in the middle doing what he does best, controlling the flow and distributing the puck.  I am fine with Reinhart getting protected minutes or occasionally being used on the wing but I don't want him playing wing the majority of his rookie year because he is going to look like crap there. 

Okay Reinhart is a puck distributor, that is why I do not want him on the wing.  I want him in the middle doing what he does best, controlling the flow and distributing the puck.  I am fine with Reinhart getting protected minutes or occasionally being used on the wing but I don't want him playing wing the majority of his rookie year because he is going to look like crap there.

Just because a player plays wing in his own end, he isn't precluded from roaming once he's over his own blue line. Unless Sam got significantly stronger this past year, I'd prefer to see him getting the easier assignment of wing rather than having to battle down low in his own end. In October, he did not have the strenght to win those battles.

He's as close to a natural center as you'll ever get. Are we really gonna mess with another one of our prospects? If he can't play center in the big leagues, send him to the Ahl where he can; don't call him up and put him out of position, it will only hurt him. I think he can play center here next year, and fully expect him to play well in a 2nd / 3rd line center role.

I get it's easier, and yes forwards roam around the ice more so than other positions in sports, but that doesn't change the fact that wingers and centers have certain responsibilities/roles, and I think making Reinhart go back and forth isn't good for him. 

Starters and closers both pitch, but they're drastically different roles, and forcing a closer to become a starter or vice-versa can mess with a player. 

I get it's easier, and yes forwards roam around the ice more so than other positions in sports, but that doesn't change the fact that wingers and centers have certain responsibilities/roles, and I think making Reinhart go back and forth isn't good for him. 

Starters and closers both pitch, but they're drastically different roles, and forcing a closer to become a starter or vice-versa can mess with a player. 

I'm not sure about messing with players long-term, but it seems like there are going to be centers that have an easier time on the wing than others. A center that's equal parts shooter, passer, and defender will have it easier on the wing than a center who's mostly a passer and defender. It seems like Reinhart is the latter, where McEichel collectively is the former.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.