SabreSpace responds to trade deadline deals

Doohickie

Hypothetically speaking, the Sabres shouldn't ever again be any worse than what they're about to be for the next 19 games.

But first, Tim Murray must kill Colonel Kurtz.  The horror.

(nsfw, maybe nsfl if you're vegan)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGTe1vF679U

He should do it in the conservatory with the candle stick.

Any one of us could have gotten what Murray got today. He didn't have a good day.

What did you expect for the players traded? Be realistic, please. Murray already made his big trade for Kane. Today was dumping garbage that was not going to be here next year.

I think we got rid of some cannon fodder…Mitchell and Flynn. Mitchell couldn't be happier and maybe he'll make some noise with the Habs. But these two were going nowhere fast in Buffalo. 

Stewart -- I'm meh about that deal. A second is very good but in 2017?…that's a long time to wait. At least the Sabres didn't get hosed as in years past when a player's contract expires to get nothing for it.

And I think Chad Johnson might surprise some people. He was 17-4 with the Bruins a few years back and has a higher lifetime save percentage than Neuvirth. And throw in a 3rd round pick, that's good too.

Mostly this giving up somewhat useful players to sacrifice for the tank. I'm more than ok with it if the Sabres get McDavid. Even Eichel will be fine. The 2 games remaining vs.  Arizona should be interesting.

I expect he got about right value for Neuvirth.  Didn't expect any market for Flynn, so he probably got about right / a bit of a good deal for him.

Expected Mitchell to be worth about a 5th, so a junk prospect and a 7th next year is comparable / slightly low.

Thought Stewart would have gotten a 3rd this year or a 2nd next, so hisvreturn was low.

I'd like to see McEichel here next year, so my preference was to see Mess and Beano here through April.  That happened.  Thought there was an outside chance Strachan could have been moved.  Probably good that that didn't happen.

Definitely interested to see what TM will do once he no longer has 1 hand tied behind his back.   IMHO, jury's still out, but he has potential.  No way DR would have pulled the trigger on the Jets deal.  Probably wouldn't have made the Gorges deal either.

Okay. If the goal was to hit the cellar, then mission accomplished.  But we didn't get back anything close to what Stewart was worth. Not a big deal, I guess, but don't fart and tell me it's roses.

Well most people think stewart was worth a second.  We got a second....so I think that is "close" to what he is worth.  If it wasn't close, do you think GMTM was just laughing and refusing to take a better return?

Today we got a 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 7th, and a low level prospect for Stewart, Neuvirth, Flynn, and Mitchell.  IF that isn't close to value, then you should also be really confused how this team is in 30th with those studs

Well most people think stewart was worth a second.  

Today we got a 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 7th, and a low level prospect for Stewart, Neuvirth, Flynn, and Mitchell.  IF that isn't close to value, then you should also be really confused how this team is in 30th with those studs

So how many NHL players do you think we will get with picks from trades?

I think advanced statistics say .45 NHL player, in exchange for 4 NHL players.  I am just trying to be realistic.  

What do you advanced stat experts think?

Murray cleared the way for next year. Most people couldn't find a spot for Mitchell or Flynn on next year's roster anyways, atleast he got something for them. Also now they have a capable backup signed for next year which they didn't have prior. I trust GMTM.

Heavier, grittier harder to play against players are on the way.

I think advanced statistics say .45 NHL player, in exchange for 4 NHL players.  I am just trying to be realistic.  

That is why i was disapointed with Stu deal, would rather a porospect back not pick. The rest are questionable as well.

Okay. If the goal was to hit the cellar, then mission accomplished.  But we didn't get back anything close to what Stewart was worth. Not a big deal, I guess, but don't fart and tell me it's roses.

This is the Promo the Robot I grew up watching:

600_wrs_6.jpg

This is the one that posts to this forum:

bender-drunk-robot.jpg

2nd: ~45%

3rd: ~30%

5th: ~15%

7th: ~15%

Add it up, and you're at 1.05 players if you want to look at it that way.  However, those are numbers for players that played at least 100 NHL games.  

The players we traded were guaranteed the following (based on number of games left):

Flynn - 19 (RFA)

Stewart - 19 (UFA)

MItchell - 19 (UFA)

Neuvirth - 19 (UFA)

So, that's 76 games total we were guaranteed.  All on a team that is tanking and not going to go anywhere.  And the only RFA (Flynn) is likely never going to be more than a 4th-line option on a playoff team.

I'd rather have the picks.

Edited by Bluefire

My first TBDrive/SabreSpace post was props to PTR.  

Still, it would be empty space without SDS.   

They are good people.

Come next fall this will all be behind us and we will love each other. Well mostly.  And maybe we'll at least tolerate the rest.

Murray cleared the way for next year. Most people couldn't find a spot for Mitchell or Flynn on next year's roster anyways, atleast he got something for them. Also now they have a capable backup signed for next year which they didn't have prior. I trust GMTM.

Heavier, grittier harder to play against players are on the way.

I like this post and I agree with you. I don't get why anyone is down on GMTM after today. Start judging him by what he does on draft day. He has us in a quick transition that's already started. Kane, Bogo, McEichel hopefully, another big trade for ROR possibly, a couple of good free agents and this team should be fun to watch and hard to play against. I like the path he has us on.  

After losing out there will be a bleaching of the crap that has been all over the locker room walls. They need to decontaminate. There will be a new vibe next season.

For all we have endured over the last few years, he will make the payoff worth it I believe. We got rid of people who while not all that great, but were good enough to screw up the McEichel chance over the next 19 games. Got rid of them to further cause and if it works, is well worth it and the returns from today are a moot point anyway.

I think we did well to get what we got. These are all rental players and we have no reason to rent them! Everybody knows the situation we were in so the value was going to be limited.

A second and third are good picks and a serviceable goalie. How do you think we got the best farm system? By stockpiling picks. Hopefully in a couple years we will be trading those picks/players for pieces to complete a really strong team for the first time in a decade or longer. I don't like all these teams complaining about us tanking. We didn't create the stupid draft rule that automatically gives the worst team the first or second pick in a year when there are two highly rated players. We aren't losing on purpose - we are just getting anything we can get for players that won't be here next year.

As an aside, how many "own" goals do you think we'll see in the 2 games versus Arizona? Has anyone ever pulled their goalie when leading?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.