Neuvirth to Isles for Chad Johnson & 2016 3rd

Taro T

Well with johnson we got our back up for next year, allthough i'd rather see makarov get a shot there next year.

I don't see Johnson being on the team beyond this season. He may be in Rochester but not here. I think Murray wants a clean slate at the position going into next season. Maybe he brings back one of Neuvirth/Enroth but I think at least one will be somebody who hasn't played here (Niemi, Subban, Smith from LA, Driedger/Lehner from Ottawa, Reimer/Bernier from Toronto, Allen/Elliot if St. Louis wants to change that position, Lack/Markstrom from Vancouver, etc...) there are tons of options.

I don't see Johnson being on the team beyond this season. He may be in Rochester but not here. I think Murray wants a clean slate at the position going into next season. Maybe he brings back one of Neuvirth/Enroth but I think at least one will be somebody who hasn't played here (Niemi, Subban, Smith from LA, Driedger/Lehner from Ottawa, Reimer/Bernier from Toronto, Allen/Elliot if St. Louis wants to change that position, Lack/Markstrom from Vancouver, etc...) there are tons of options.

Yeah just seen his press conference he pretty much said he was looking for trade partner with a backup goalie he thinks can be starters.

This is the only trade that I question. You need a goalie no matter what people would like to believe, and I hope they think they have one in the system for when it's time to start winning again.

They just traded away two UFA goalies. Decent chance of resigning one of them back; it may be their only chance at being a starter. I'm sure GMTM kept the door open for either of them to return and will pursue one or both (ultimately probably signing only one) this summer.

They just traded away two UFA goalies. Decent chance of resigning one of them back; it may be their only chance at being a starter. I'm sure GMTM kept the door open for either of them to return and will pursue one or both (ultimately probably signing only one) this summer.

I just think it's a risk that we didn't need to take just so that Schoop and Jeremy can sleep more easily for a month.

I just think it's a risk that we didn't need to take just so that Schoop and Jeremy can sleep more easily for a month.

It wasn't just for Schoop and Jeremy.  I'm sure GMTM was sweating in a bit, too (not that you'd know it.)  I know I'll sleep better having made that move.  Heck, even after making it, I'm not confident.  If we hadn't made it, I would have all-but-guaranteed drafting 3-4 this year.

What's the risk? That you may have more competition to sign two mediocre goalies with some potential to be better?

Neither of these guys are anywhere near proven starters so dealing them away doesn't change much aside from giving up more assets. Somewhere in this thread or another I listed some options Murray will have for acquiring goalies going forward. It'll be fine or it won't. But I don't think having Neuvirth would've made a huge difference between fine and not.

This whole situation is embarrassing, but that doesn't make it untrue, Johnson was not brought in because hey think he is a better option then Neuvirth, they got rid of him because they didn't want to come up with an excuse for sitting him the rest of the year and he was playing well enough to possibly cost them the precious #30th spot. If they didn't care about that and they felt he was their goalie of the future he would have been made an offer to stay. This move was a dump to continue to lose and get another pick

Actually, by trading away Neuvirth you give him a shot at the playoffs and a chance at the Cup.  You are rewarding him for playing on your team and putting up with everything. In return the Sabres get a safety net at the moment and a draft pick.  If Neuvirth wants to be in Buffalo he can come back (assuming Murray wants him).

No risk.  It's a standard hockey move and if the Sabres were in 24th position no one would even be questioning it.

Neuvirth made himself available by winning and playing well.  He did this for a chance to be moved and Murray moved him.  It does help the Sabres as well, there's no doubt.  But there are more aspects to this.  People are getting caught up in the finish last mode but the moves made are all standard hockey moves made by a selling team every year.  Just because it brings them down for the rest of the season does not automatically mean it's a tank move.  

It has multiple purposes to be certain.  But teams trade UFAs all the time... regardless of position.  Halak was shipped twice last year.

This trade of the four yesterday seemed the most obvious.  He was playing very well and he had played his way onto the trade market.  It makes sense for the Islanders with the lack luster performance of Johnson, though his last 3-4 starts have been more encouraging.  Either way they got an additional asset in a weak goalie market.  It seemed to me that Murray in some cases found good fits for these four guys and let the assets be a little more flexible.  I was surprised Flynn was traded. 

I believe since you started the thread you should be able to change the title at will

I can. But, I didn't change the title to make the pick incorrect and would appreciate it if whoever altered the title put it back to what it correctly stated before.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.