OT - all things bae

inkman

I'm old and white also I guess. 48  Don't know anything about bae but I did find them with a bing search. Seems they make tanks lol. I'm guessing the bae you refer to has some entirely different meaning though.

http://www.upi.com/Business_News/Security-Industry/2015/02/27/BAE-Systems-Hagglunds-delivers-CV90-infantry-fighting-vehicle/9151425050727/

I still don't understand what's going on in this thread. :) The only BAE I've heard of before has a facility (or did) near Binghamton where they make, among other things, hybrid-electric busses and trucks. Used to be British Aerospace Engineering (I think) but now it's just BAE with no meaning.

I still don't understand what's going on in this thread. :) The only BAE I've heard of before has a facility (or did) near Binghamton where they make, among other things, hybrid-electric busses and trucks. Used to be British Aerospace Engineering (I think) but now it's just BAE with no meaning.

Be thankful.   I feel dumber for knowing the pop culture reference to bae.

I'm white (if that matters lol) and nearing 30. I have heard this for about 20 years. My aunt used to call my uncle it. It is just short for babe or baby. Nothing more.

it's funny because all the people i know (white)that used to say it all the time now hate it once other races started using it. I wish I could post my sisters Facebook and MySpace pages. It's bae this and bae that and next thing it's I hate people that use Bae lmao

Edited by Kr632

I'm white (if that matters lol) and nearing 30. I have heard this for about 20 years. My aunt used to call my uncle it. It is just short for babe or baby. Nothing more.

I know what it's short for, I'm old not stupid. I'm fairly certain your family would not have spelled it bae. It looks like bye or buh to me, certainly not Bay which is the way it should have been spelled.

Edited by Inkoslav Manilov

I know what it's short for, I'm old not stupid. I'm fairly certain your family would not have spelled it bae. It looks like bye or buh to me, certainly not Bay which is the way it should have been spelled.

I had an aunt Mae.

Don't you teach college students? If they are letting that level of student into UB I fear for our education system. :bag:

I have had a handful of students use internet/texting abbreviations on short papers and short-answer test questions.

the bold words indicate your acceptance of the evolving nature of language.

And the bold is you trying to start your own trend :P

I accept language evolves (I use literally the "wrong" way...or used it until Oxford decided to accept it)...but at least I use words!

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Only reason I knew what it meant is because of this song (which is catchy, dammit):

But I agree that it's really stupid that people feel a need to abbreviate something that's already short.

Edited by biodork

Only reason I knew what it meant is because of this song (which is catchy, dammit):

But I agree that it's really stupid that people feel a need to abbreviate something that's already short.

Well didn't know it was in that song even, Only thing my short attention span hears is something about riding a motorcycle :p

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.