GDT Buffalo@Florida 3:00pm EST

WildCard

Come on, man... you had it right with your earlier post in this thread, so why not let it go?  Don't confuse the fact that some of us aren't happy with losses means we don't see the endgame.  I'm not doing this again.

The game is over, so it's not the tank bit that irritates me.  It's the continued need by tankers to essentially insult the non-tankers for not agreeing with them.  ###### that ######.

Was truly curious. No insults from me. Just an exploration of psyche. 

As I said the last time this came up: only IF you think McEichel are the only path to success. It's fine that you do. I do not. I believe GMTM will find a way to turn the Sabres around, whatever hand he's dealt. It's okay that we disagree on this; I'm just sick of people acting like their way is the only way and mocking people who disagree.

I've gone on record many times stating that McEichel isn't the only way, I do however believe it always was and continues to be the best course of action.

We're almost there...

Was truly curious. No insults from me. Just an exploration of psyche. 

The thought behind it is quite simple.  It is wrong to set up to lose on purpose.  I find it hard to believe you didn't see that as the point behind the opinion before it was told to you..

Until the season has ended I will refuse to root for this team to lose. Once the season has concluded I will join the McEichel bandwagon should the Sabres be in the running for the top pick in the draft. Until then I will take every loss like a man and enjoy any win that comes along. My constitution is strong. 

May the hockey gods have mercy on anyone fist pumping for Sabres losses. These are truly dark times. 

I didn't fist pump the loss. I fist pumped the goal, and I didn't even mean to. It just happened. I pulled the fist back out as soon as I realized the skankiness of it all.

As I said the last time this came up:  only IF you think McEichel are the only path to success.  It's fine that you do.  I do not.  I believe GMTM will find a way to turn the Sabres around, whatever hand he's dealt.  It's okay that we disagree on this; I'm just sick of people acting like their way is the only way and mocking people who disagree.

Me, too.

Sorry, Bio, don't agree w/ that. McDavid and Eichel are expected to be truly generational talents. The couple of times I've been able to watch them play (on TV), they have been amazingly entertaining to watch. The possibility of seeing one of the 2 of them in person 20+ times per year and on the tube for another 60+ for hopefully the next decade plus is what this is about. Either one (rather than, say, Marner) surrounded with the exact same pieces will necessarily (in all reasonable likelihood) be more entertaining than pick 3-5 would be.

We've suffered this long, I want that reward for it. And however it works out, there is no guarantee of a championship regardless. This is about the journey, and the ride IMHO will e much more enjoyable w/ 1/2 of McEichel on the bus. The entertainment value, now that Darcy cast the die to send us down this rut filled road, gets a lot higher, again IMHO, if the tank reaches fruition.

And I rarely post during games because I don't cheer against them while their playing, but a little bit dies inside each time they take the lead right now. And that really stinks.

Edited by Taro T

The thought behind it is quite simple.  It is wrong to set up to lose on purpose.  I find it hard to believe you didn't see that as the point behind the opinion before it was told to you..

I understand the prideful sentiment I guess yes. Although losing on purpose is different from losing. And in typing that sentence, I realize my error and apologize for the leading question (considering tank intends purpose). What I really wondered is if there were people honestly disappointed with a loss with 20 games left. But I understand if this has been beaten to death. 

I think we can agree that almost an entire year of this can make a fanbase act in peculiar ways.  

I didn't fist pump the loss. I fist pumped the goal, and I didn't even mean to. It just happened. I pulled the fist back out as soon as I realized the skankiness of it all.

I'm guessing that fist was skanked well before that goal was scored.

I understand the prideful sentiment I guess yes. Although losing on purpose is different from losing. And in typing that sentence, I realize my error and apologize for the leading question (considering tank intends purpose). What I really wondered is if there were people honestly disappointed with a loss with 20 games left. But I understand if this has been beaten to death. 

I think we can agree that almost an entire year of this can make a fanbase act in peculiar ways.  

I'm always disappointed when my team loses.  The existance of McEichel can't change that for me.

Sorry, Bio, don't agree w/ that. McDavid and Eichel are expected to be truly generational talents. The couple of times I've been able to watch them play (on TV), they have been amazingly entertaining to watch. The possibility of seeing one of the 2 of them in person 20+ times per year and on the tube for another 60+ for hopefully the next decade plus is what this is about. Either one (rather than, say, Marner) surrounded with the exact same pieces will necessarily (in all reasonable likelihood) be more entertaining than pick 3-5 would be.

We've suffered this long, I want that reward for it. And however it works out, there is no guarantee of a championship regardless. This is about the journey, and the ride IMHO will e much more enjoyable w/ 1/2 of McEichel on the bus. The entertainment value, now that Darcy cast the die to send us down this rut filled road, gets a lot higher, again IMHO, if the tank reaches fruition.

I agree with Claude that they're likely the quickest path to success, but I don't think they're the only one.  Look how many teams have won the Cup without a Crosby or Gretzky.  Look how close the Sabres themselves have gotten without one!  And I saw McDavid in the last two games on the World Juniors, and yes he is quite impressive.  So were Reinhart and Domi (I didn't see Eichel play).

Ain't that the truth.

###### Darcy. This whole mess is his fault. 

He deserves some of the blame for the condition of the franchise in February 2011 — an overestimated core, nothing down the middle, a coach who had been around too long, and a team about to make the playoffs for the second straight year. If Terry could ever pull off the latter, they'd be pulling down the statue of the French Connection Saddam-style and replacing it with Terry crossing the Buffalo River in January. Everything after the spring of '11, that's on Terry. The spending spree was Terry ("it was my decision") and the decision to rebuild/tank, that's on Terry. It's why Lindy and Darcy are gone, why Pat is gone and why a first-time GM in Murray is here. Blame Darcy, blame W. The statute of limitations eventually runs out on such things.

There's no right way and there's no wrong way to do this thing but there'll be a whole lot of I told you so's no matter how this ends up judging by the holier than thou stance many have taken on this thing. I have no problem stating that high end draft picks are the way to go here and I think many from both sides would agree. Thats all that matters. This team will improve and will be an exciting team to watch again. That benefits everyone. Thats what counts. I'm excited about the team building that will take place going forward regardless of where we pick. I've enjoyed the tearing down of a failed core. Its a process and as someone else said its a journey. We will resemble a team next year and we will make incremental steps towards being a great team and a contender for possibly years to come. Screw the arguments about fandom. Its stupid.

Until the season has ended I will refuse to root for this team to lose. Once the season has concluded I will join the McEichel bandwagon should the Sabres be in the running for the top pick in the draft. Until then I will take every loss like a man and enjoy any win that comes along. My constitution is strong. 

May the hockey gods have mercy on anyone fist pumping for Sabres losses. These are truly dark times.

I'm with you. For me, The Tank is my comfort and my consolation when the Sabres lose, but I still root for the guys to do well.

That said, I am pretty sad (though not surprised) with what recent GDTs have become.

I'm not. The Tank will succeed. Or it won't.

Regardless, next season GMTM will be fielding the best possible team and we will all be rooting for wins. I forgive everyone ahead of time for any ugliness to come between now and the end of the season.

I love you all because you all love the Sabres.

He deserves some of the blame for the condition of the franchise in February 2011 — an overestimated core, nothing down the middle, a coach who had been around too long, and a team about to make the playoffs for the second straight year. If Terry could ever pull off the latter, they'd be pulling down the statue of the French Connection Saddam-style and replacing it with Terry crossing the Buffalo River in January. Everything after the spring of '11, that's on Terry. The spending spree was Terry ("it was my decision") and the decision to rebuild/tank, that's on Terry. It's why Lindy and Darcy are gone, why Pat is gone and why a first-time GM in Murray is here. Blame Darcy, blame W. The statute of limitations eventually runs out on such things.

I think if Darcy had begun to tear this team apart in the summer of 2008 we'd never have reached this point. His opportunity was golden. We watched them crumble in 2007 and that should have been a sign, the way they coasted into the playoffs and got trounced by the Sens in the ECFs. They should have been given 2007-08 to get their sh*t together. 

But Darcy did what Darcy does best: overvalues players and fails to observe the ebb and flow of the league. He should have realized right away his team was no longer built to compete in a league that had all but forgotten about the rejuvenated rules of 2005-06. Finesse hockey got 1.5 seasons and then disappeared. He never saw it happen. Missed it. 

But we all saw it. 

Dear lord I need to confess my sins.

Although I cheered for every Bufallo goal in todays game I felt relieved when the

Panthers scored 4:3 goal. I felt happy and deeply ashamed. Please let us be great next season so that such things never repeat.

Back to GDT.

This is what I hate in the US sport system ( Don't understand me wrong, I love the balance in NHL the trade dead line and the playoffs). But when you are bad, you really need to be bad to draft high. My favorite soccer club Borussia Dortmund really sucked during the first season half. They were even on last place, which means to go down one league at the end of the season (to a league like ahl level).

Now they won 4 games in a row and I am relieved that they are back in the mid field.

Buffalo on the other hand needs to lose so we get even more better with McEichel next seasons. How can I cheer to win games without any sense?

I am looking forward to next season when the lottery changes even more.

By the way if I remember correctly Alexander Daigle was also a generational talent during his draft, when Ottawa won the race of shame. He was a bust, so this can happen.

I'm with you. For me, The Tank is my comfort and my consolation when the Sabres lose, but I still root for the guys to do well.

I'm not. The Tank will succeed. Or it won't.

Regardless, next season GMTM will be fielding the best possible team and we will all be rooting for wins. I forgive everyone ahead of time for any ugliness to come between now and the end of the season.

I love you all because you all love the Sabres.

Well said.

Take comfort that this is the final tank.. The league will have mediocrity cured by lottery luck once the rules change even more..

I said yea when the panthers scored , mainly for relief ...that the trade deadline surge shouldn't derail two years or more of abuse.. 18 games of apathy and we get a chance to attract some good hockey ..

We have been kinda spoiled in the sense that we never endured this before..

If they didn't try to get a top line this year the chances of tanking for a top two pick are gone.. Can't blame the strategy if guys they are hiding (developing) from this like pysyk proves that will to win, heart hunger and character are almost as important as talent to push the guys that have it.

Yagr and Bogosian have huge effects on both teams.. As well as desire to be traded.

Go tank and have a couple balloons

Edited by K8prisoner

Dear lord I need to confess my sins.

Although I cheered for every Bufallo goal in todays game I felt relieved when the

Panthers scored 4:3 goal. I felt happy and deeply ashamed. Please let us be great next season so that such things never repeat.

Buffalo's Catholic heritage on display.

I've gone on record many times stating that McEichel isn't the only way, I do however believe it always was and continues to be the best course of action.

We're almost there...

I agree.  I really enjoyed watching the guys play during December and like this mini streak as well.  I was shocked I did the yes for a FLA goal.

Not much more of this left to go.  I want a unified fan-base as much as anyone, but this isn't a subtle strategy the Sabres have been following.  The deeper into it we all go, I guess the more I am surprised at the divisions amongst the people.

STOP WITH THIS KIND OF THING, SERIOUSLY!  You cheer the way you want to, and let us cheer the way we want to.  God, I hate this season.

The game is over, so it's not the tank bit that irritates me.  It's the continued need by tankers to essentially insult the non-tankers for not agreeing with them.  ###### that ######.

It took until March to piss Bio off to this point? That's impressive right there; I think this is the first time I've ever seen you mad, not that it's not understandable.

In fairness, tankers have had plenty of "fake fan" insults tossed our way. While some individuals have stayed above the fray, both sides as a whole dived head-first into the muck a long time ago.

That said, I am pretty sad (though not surprised) with what recent GDTs have become.

Agreed.

And I rarely post during games because I don't cheer against them while their playing, but a little bit dies inside each time they take the lead right now. And that really stinks.

I do the same thing. I check here for people's opinions/analysis on how they're playing, but if a goal happens I treat the Carrion like my GDT.

Seriously, can we all go back to our usual names?

No.   :nana:

Honestly I like my avatar a lot right now, stoic bear has grown on me; I may keep it.

How far back? I could go back to Neuvirth's Glove, but I started on this board (and post in several other ones) as Doohickie.

Holy ###### this hit my like a ton of bricks. I completely forgot you were Doohickie 

Edited by WildComrade

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.