Will Eichel be an immediate contributor?

PromoTheRobot

BU. Your post is the equivalent of saying Jim Kelly was the best Dolphins QB of all time.

Yeah BU my bad. Don't hate me for saying this but I don't pay any attention to the NFL so I don't know how to take that comment.

This will never happen. 

I will bet you money Jack Eichel does not do that.

Didn't say he was going to, didn't even imply it actually. I was just saying that if he was going to go back there for another year he would do so before signing(like my post said). You said there's a 0% chance of it happening so I'd throw $1 at 1000000-1 odds if your interested?

(I've only skimmed this last page, but I'm seeing signs of hysterics.)

An Islanders blogger clarified the CBA pretty well when Islanders fans were shitting themselves about Anders Lee a year after Justin Schultz went to Edmonton:

CBA gibberish, skip it if you like:

Clarification:

However, this ability to go UFA as described in the clarification only applies to players that have not been signed as of four years or more since the date they were drafted.  Eichel won't reach the four-years-since-drafted mark until June 2019, which will be one year after his graduation date.  He couldn't escape Buffalo's rights until then.  That's the part of the CBA that I bolded.  So if Eichel wanted to escape Buffalo, he would graduate in 2018, and then be a holdout for one full year.  That would give us plenty of time to shame him and trade him.

In Schultz' case, he played a year of juniors after his draft year, then joined Wisconsin, then was eligible to escape Anaheim as a UFA by deregistering after four years has passed since the draft but before his senior year had started.  This eligibility isn't met by most players and won't be met by Eichel.

But there's a strong motivating factor for Eichel, who will likely have the option to go pro well before 2019, not to do this.  The biggest reason why he won't do this?

MILLIONS OF DOLLARS.

Everyone- the GM, the coach, his former coaches, NHL players, his family, his friends, and his agent especially will tell him how important it will be to start his professional career ASAP and to sign a guaranteed contract BEFORE HE SUFFERS A CAREER ENDING INJURY.  While the chances of this are slim, it is the most important consideration for young athletes.  Yes, it's an honor and a dream come true to be drafted.  Yes, they want to live their dream of playing pro.  Yes, they want to play as hard as they can to win at the pro level.  Yes, they want to play toward their dream of winning the Stanley Cup.  Those are the dreams.  But they perceive a very real need to be compensated for the extremely risky profession they've undertaken and worked towards since their youth.  Suffering a career-ending injury without compensation would be a life-altering disaster.  Those are the nightmares.

Great post, although I wouldn't say "without compensation" he would have a education to fall back on. I'm aware that wouldn't be the same amount of money, or anywhere near it, but there is something to gain.

I like anyone who can pound a beer and than scream "I'm coming for you Buffalo!!!"

Side thought, wonder if Eichel gets suspended for said video.

Nothing will come of it. Far worse has been explained away a million times in college sports. From the NCAA point of view, there is no actual proof there.

Any level of contribution or how quickly they can contribute from any top pick will be based on how well Tim Murray can build around these young kids and protect them, and I just don't mean physically. There have been just as many, if not more, blue chip busts as there have been success stories. Mismanagement of a talent of that level is easy and can be devastating to a franchise.   

Any level of contribution or how quickly they can contribute from any top pick will be based on how well Tim Murray can build around these young kids and protect them, and I just don't mean physically. There have been just as many, if not more, blue chip busts as there have been success stories. Mismanagement of a talent of that level is easy and can be devastating to a franchise.   

Do you think Kane was a good step in the right direction for either one, if we get them?

Do you think Kane was a good step in the right direction for either one, if we get them?

Absolutely Yes! People can question Kane's maturity and he may just be an a-hole, you can't question his desire and passion for the game. After years of watching this team roll out fragile players, I want a player like Kane, who has great talent and knows it, to instill some swagger into the young kids coming in. As Alice Cooper sang, "No more mister nice guy!" I want a team that fans from other teams complain about like we here complain about the Bruins.    

Absolutely Yes! People can question Kane's maturity and he may just be an a-hole, you can't question his desire and passion for the game. After years of watching this team roll out fragile players, I want a player like Kane, who has great talent and knows it, to instill some swagger into the young kids coming in. As Alice Cooper sang, "No more mister nice guy!" I want a team that fans from other teams complain about like we here complain about the Bruins.    

:) I agree. 

Yes sir. Been waiting for this type of team for years.

Eichel is our density.

Err, destiny?

Both.

And I loved the shout-out. I'm actually now sorta quietly hoping McDavid goes to the Oilers or 'Yotes or wherever. (I'd probably prefer he stay out west -- I'm not a fan of the idea of him being a Leaf.)

And here I thought I was the only one who randomly quoted 'Back to the Future'. Just remember, put your money on the Cubs winning the world series this year!

Yes sir. Been waiting for this type of team for years.

Jim Kelly was an immature a-hole when he was that age too.... but a damn good player.  People put way too much into personalities, if the player is a beast the main concern is if he's a cancer in the room.  Even then teammates will tolerate it if he produces.  

Players have been doing this dumb ish for years, it's just easier to get caught. 

And here I thought I was the only one who randomly quoted 'Back to the Future'. Just remember, put your money on the Cubs winning the world series this year!

:w00t:

Jim Kelly was an immature a-hole when he was that age too.... but a damn good player.  People put way too much into personalities, if the player is a beast the main concern is if he's a cancer in the room.  Even then teammates will tolerate it if he produces.  

Players have been doing this dumb ish for years, it's just easier to get caught. 

Kelly was doing a whole lot more than drankin' beer. And I see no indication that there's anything amiss with Eichel's personality -- looks like the sort of guy that other fellas like to hang out with. That is a good thing.

I posted my opinion on Eichel months ago.

In light of this new information, I'll say it again: there's nothing I don't like about Jack Eichel.

Hear fookin' hear.

I'm coming for ya? Sounds vaguely threatening.

Also, for the tinfoil hat-wearers (you know who you are; hi; oh, hi; who are you talking to?; why?; why would I do that?), the idea that Eichel already knows McDavid is not going to Buffalo could be took and ran with.

It sounded like a cocky assurance of help is on the way.

As for the conspiracy stuff, I took it more to mean that the kid believes he should be the #1 pick. Which, in turn, would mean that we'd get an elite prospect on a gotdamn mission if we lost the lottery and got him at #2.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.