GDT:Flyers at Sabres 7:30PM NBCSN

Brawndo

I'm tired of excusing Ted Nolan for this team.

As bad as Cody Hodgson has been, he hasn't played on the power play in a month and I don't know if he has been on the first unit all year. Sure he sucks 5 on 5, but, given time and space, he can create better than most of our roster.

Instead, Brian Flynn — who works hard, but will be lucky to score 40 goals in his NHL career — centres our 2nd power play and Zemgus, who has three PP points all season is unchallenged as our number one PP pivot.

Balls played the point on the Colorado PP. Like Hodgson, he can't play in traffic, but he has some skills on the point.

Matt Moulson is good complementary PP forward, but no one sees him as a point man on any team's power play. He's not a great passer or playmaker and he doesn't have a big shot. But hey, the guy he's replacing is Josh Gorges, you know, the guy with 13 PP points in 10 NHL seasons. At least Risto and Zads get a look on unit two.

Johan Larsson is a solid, hard-working prospect who has mastered the AHL and is at the point in his career where he needs to show what he has at the NHL level. He gets less than 7 minutes. Torrey Mitchell, a career 4th-liner and UFA to be, gets nearly 17.

I would think at this point in the season, Tim Murray would like to see some marketability salvaged to Hodgson's tarnished reputation, to remind other GMs that Benoit might be a useful depth pickup for the playoffs, and to give some kids a chance to show what they can do. Or maybe he would just like to see us score on the PP sometime.

Instead, Ted continues to favour veterans and "reward hard work" with ice time, regardless of how ineffective his strategy has been in winning hockey games or developing assets.

Yes, Benoit is one of many fringe hockey players on this squad and Hodgson is a dishcloth, but Ted has not done a good job of developing talent or effectively utilizing it.

He clearly is not on the same page as his GM.
He is great guy and I will give him credit for holding the room together.
But I will be very disappointed if he is not fired as soon as the season is over.
Edited by dudacek

As bad as Cody Hodgson has been, he hasn't played on the power play in a month and I don't know if he has been on the first unit all year. Sure he sucks 5 on 5, but, given time and space, he can create better than most of our roster.

Instead, Brian Flynn — who works hard, but will be lucky to score 40 goals in his NHL career — centres our 2nd power play and Zemgus, who has three PP points all season is unchallenged as our number one PP pivot.

Balls played the point on the Colorado PP. Like Hodgson, he can't play in traffic, but he has some skills on the point.

Matt Moulson is good complementary PP forward, but no one sees him as a point man on any team's power play. He's not a great passer or playmaker and he doesn't have a big shot. But hey, the guy he's replacing is Josh Gorges, you know, the guy with 13 PP points in 10 NHL seasons. At least Risto and Zads get a look on unit two.

Johan Larsson is a solid, hard-working prospect who has mastered the AHL and is at the point in his career where he needs to show what he has at the NHL level. He gets less than 7 minutes. Torrey Mitchell, a career 4th-liner and UFA to be, gets nearly 17.

I would think at this point in the season, Tim Murray would like to see some marketability restored to Hodgson's tarnished reputation, to remind other GMs that Benoit might be a useful depth pickup for the playoffs, and to give some kids a chance to show what they can do.

Instead, Ted continues to favour veterans and "reward hard work" with ice time, regardless of how ineffective his strategy has been in winning hockey games or developing assets.

Yes, Benoit is one of many fringe hockey players on this squad and Hodgson is a dishcloth, but Ted has not done a good job of developing talent or effectively utilizing it.

But I will be very disappointed if he is not fired as soon as the season is over.

There was a post here about a year ago about how the Penguins tanked to get Mario Lemieux. Part of the reasons people felt they were obviously tanking was the db coaching decisions. Talented players being benched, bad defensive players starting in the d zone while bad I players starting in the I zone...

This season just reminds me exactly of that 30 minute show.

I would think at this point in the season, Tim Murray would like to see some marketability salvaged to Hodgson's tarnished reputation, to remind other GMs that Benoit might be a useful depth pickup for the playoffs, and to give some kids a chance to show what they can do. Or maybe he would just like to see us score on the PP sometime.

Good post. His style of both coaching and motivating will not work as this team moves forward. Sooner the better as far as I am concerned.

There was a post here about a year ago about how the Penguins tanked to get Mario Lemieux. Part of the reasons people felt they were obviously tanking was the db coaching decisions. Talented players being benched, bad defensive players starting in the d zone while bad I players starting in the I zone...

So you're saying he is on exactly the same page as his GM.

This.  All of this.  I'm all for awarding guys who work hard, but there is no rhyme or reason to which guys are playing in which situations.  I have no problem with playing a defensive system given the lack of scoring talent on this roster.  But, at least put the guys who have had a history of scoring in this league on lines together.  Don't mix them in with career 4th liners.

Great post Dudacek, but I'm thinking it's the same thing as the Pens tank for Mario that Sherman mentioned

So you're saying he is on exactly the same page as his GM.

It is very similar to the video in that thread. While I can't say that Nolan is or isn't on the same page the tear down and rebuild of the team and the very "curious" coaching decisions are all part of the reason people thought the Penguins were tanking.

I would look it up but I only have access to sabrespace on my phone.

Fantastic post. He's getting nothing out of nothing. It's what we want for the tank but not the future. I want to see somebody like Luke Richardson get a shot. Move Ted to the scouting department or something.

I'm going to break forum decorum and talk about the tank.

We're approximately 2/3 through the season and we all know the team is tanking.  All season, the organization has dropped nuggets confirming so, yet officially denying it.  The most recent stroke being the Myers/Kane trade.  But here we are, folks are still fighting against it.  I'm not saying you have to like it, I'm still conflicted personally, but I do suggest accepting it.

For my brothers and sisters who still resist the tank and all the pain it brings, I give to you Tool's Prison Sex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5sIXUbMgF0

Edited by sizzlemeister

I'm going to break forum decorum and talk about the tank.

We're approximately 2/3 through the season and we all know the team is tanking.  All season, the organization has dropped nuggets confirming so, yet officially denying it.  The most recent stroke being the Myers/Kane trade.  But here we are, folks are still fighting against it.  I'm not saying you have to like it, I'm still conflicted personally, but I do suggest accepting it.

For my brothers and sisters who still resist the tank and all the pain it brings, I give to you Tool's Prison Sex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5sIXUbMgF0

Good post. Great video.

If we add some top-six talent, I'm interested in seeing what a Deslauriers Zemgus Foligno third line could do next year.

I had the exact same thought during the game tonight.  That line would be impossible to play against.  At the beginning of this year I thought Deslauriers might be able to grow into a 3rd line role.  After watching him this season I am sure of it.

Bogo was fantastic tonight,  and showed the fans that he wants to be here with aggressive hits.  He wasn't anything special on the PP, but he has decent offensive instincts.  

Nikita and Rasmus on the PP.  Awesome.

I have no idea why people are clamoring for Chris Stewart to be re-signed.  He's big, but he barely ever wins battles.  He made a nifty sauce to Ennis tonight, but elsewise I saw nothing from him.

Who cares at this point. Lose 'em all.

I value rivalries over losing on purpose, thank you very much. Sad that the guy who's only been a full-time hockey fan for like 6 years cares more about his team's rivalries than lifelong fans.

###### Philadelphia.

Edited by TheMatrix31

Ellis has no business on this team (he reminds me of Chris Taylor). Mezzaros needs to be put on waivers, Larson does not belong up(reminds me of Luke Adam). I would rather see Grigorenko up and playing 2nd/3rd line minutes.

So Nolan's just that incompetent then? Was he like this when he was with the Isels/Sabres before?

He is a great motivator, but not an Xs, and Os guy. This team needs that. I wouldn't be surprised if Trottier takes over the team next year. 

Edited by DirtDart

Ellis has no business on this team (he reminds me of Chris Taylor). Mezzaros needs to be put on waivers, Larson does not belong up(reminds me of Luke Adam). I would rather see Grigorenko up and playing 2nd/3rd line minutes.

He is a great motivator, but not an Xs, and Os guy. This team needs that. I wouldn't be surprised if Trottier takes over the team next year.

Trottier isn't taking anything over.

As for TN being a great motivator. I don't buy that. He is the journeymans best friend. The only guys that play motivated for him are the stiffs that realize he is probably the only coach in the league that would play them in the role that TN does.

He is more worried about head f'ing players than he is developing them.

Instead, Ted continues to favor veterans and "reward hard work" with ice time, regardless of how ineffective his strategy has been in winning hockey games or developing assets.

Great post, I'm starting to feel the same.  I'm really tired of him playing guys like Benoit when there are more deserving guys like potentially Pysyk.   The fringe guys need to move out of the way.  Larsson needs to stay the rest of the year regardless of injuries/health.  

Great post. By the way, who is the #3 guy in this draft?

Noah Hanifen or Mitch Marner depending on who you ask.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.