Puck Daddy says GMTM's desire for Luke Richardson as coach

SDS

Yeah, I lived there for a few years when I was growing up (7th-9th grade)... can't say I miss anything about it....

My brother went to SUNY Bing, and I was contemplating doing the same thing.  His words were "It's one of the most depressing places to live in the country."

EH, Binghamton is like a small Buffalo (of 4 years ago, not the current kinda-rebuilding version). It's fine if you have friends that like to drink at neighborhood bars. And you're close to a lot of good hiking and camping. Outside of that, you're looking at driving to Syracuse (1 hour) Ithaca 45 minutes away (which I didn't take enough advantage of), or, NYC is 3 hours away. I liked it well enough, I was sad to get transferred out, but in hindsight I'd consider moving back but not before moving to Buffalo.

I'm stuck on what is up with Hodgson, especially because it is just THIS YEAR his production has fallen.

As for his lack of goals, the obvious thing is it is simply his shooting percentage that is down.

Is it how Nolan is using him? Is it a coaching issue?

Is there an injury that the team knows he has and thinks is minor, but it is bothering him a lot more?

My opinion would be he is just a very poor skater. When I watch him play it is ALWAYS like he is just 1/2 second late to be in the position where he needs to be, and it effects his offense and his defense. The problem with that is, the NHL didn't become a much faster league from last year to this year alone.

Can a new coach help Hodgson out?  The general thinking is Nolan is one of the best players coachs out there.  But, as much as I can't see Hodgson turning it around now, this is a guy who was/is about a 25 goal per 82 game guy with the Sabres before this year...on pretty bad Sabres teams at that.

Edited by mjd1001

Vancouver traded Hodgson because he was a slacker. I don't understand why this reflects on Nolan and why it's worth more than a line in an interwebz post.

Because it is a message board and that is what is done here.   There are thousands of other points brought up on this board that have less to do with the Sabres than if a coach may be helping or hurting a young former first round pick who went from being a 20-25 goal scorer yearly to one that can't even get you 5.

Vancouver traded Hodgson because he was a slacker. I don't understand why this reflects on Nolan and why it's worth more than a line in an interwebz post.

Not true.  They had too many centers, especially after acquiring Malhotra, and not enough third line grit, so they made the move for Kassian.  Regier made the move to acquire skill over size.

Hodgson's real boogeyman has always been his defensive game.  That's what pisses off the coaches.  He's tried to improve some of his tools to help that part of his game (training with Roberts to up his conditioning and skating, etc), but he's definitely been having a hard time with it, and it's been getting him into the doghouse quite a lot

Bucky railed him earlier this week, but he fails to put a label on Hodgson's problems - which is unusual for that clown...

It’s hard to know with any certainty whether he’s cruising or lacking confidence. When players aren’t sure of themselves, they often stop moving their feet. Fans see laziness, but he could be laboring through a lost season. Regardless, he hasn’t skated hard enough to warrant more ice time.

That all said, your point's valid.  Nolan's going to try to push and whatever will be will be.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

The thing is he was a 20-goal slacker, now he's a two-goal slacker.

He's on the same bad team. What's changed?

dudacek, on 13 Feb 2015 - 8:59 PM, said:

Uhhmmmm...he was on Vancouver with a far better talent base?

And, to the point that they had too many centers: that's true to an extent.  If he was worth keeping what with his production, they would have kept him.  He's a passenger who feeds off the talent around him.  Without someone clearing a path for him he's nothing.

Uhhmmmm...he was on Vancouver with a far better talent base?

And, to the point that they had too many centers: that's true to an extent.  If he was worth keeping what with his production, they would have kept him.  He's a passenger who feeds off the talent around him.  Without someone clearing a path for him he's nothing.

He scored twenty for the Sabres. I think he's in on the tank.

This is basically where I'm at. Hodgson and Nolan are oil and water. It doesn't mean Nolan ruined him, but Hodgson either can't or won't do what Nolan wants, and Nolan either can't or won't use Hodgson in a way that maximizes his skillset because Hodgson can't or won't do what Nolan wants...and so on.

This is basically where I'm at. Hodgson and Nolan are oil and water. It doesn't mean Nolan ruined him, but Hodgson either can't or won't do what Nolan wants, and Nolan either can't or won't use Hodgson in a way that maximizes his skillset because Hodgson can't or won't do what Nolan wants...and so on.

In other words a coach killer

Yeah, that's pretty much where I am too.

Still want him off the team, but I think I'd rather give him a chance to restore some of his value first and sell at a higher price.

Unless we can trade him now in some kind of "my problem for your problem" kind of deal.

Not saying any of that story is wrong, but another headline could read:

Ex-Canuck Mike Gillis bad GM and ######, 'no one wants him to be here,' says Canuck fans

Edited by dudacek

It's straight from the horse's mouth, the same kind of crap we're dealing with here. They spent more time on Hodgson's issues than any other player. Then, when they decided to dump him, THEY PADDED HIS STATS by giving him easy starts - how else do you "(build) him into something (they) could move"? A spade is a spade; a Hodgson is a Hodgson.

Edited by sizzlemeister

It's straight from the horse's mouth, the same kind of crap we're dealing with here. They spent more time on Hodgson's issues than any other player. Then, when they decided to dump him, THEY PADDED HIS STATS by giving him easy starts - how else do you "(build) him into something (they) could move"? A spade is a spade; a Hodgson is a Hodgson.

The horse that in speaking wants to make himself good.  I'm not going to defend Hodgson, but a GM that traded away a player (CH) for a player (ZK) that isn't living up to what the Canucks hoped (5G, 9P, 29 games played this year, I can only assume that's not what they expected) isn't going to say (to the media at least), "Man, I boned that one. I wish I had CH back; ZK isn't getting it done."

This Richardson news is quite old. I always liked Nolan.....until the other night against Ottawa after Weber's non goal call. Nolan should have been going apeshit after that BS call. He didn't even flinch. He has lost any fire he may have had. He just doesn't seem to care anymore, even with the positive outlook this team has. Still not sure how I feel about Richardson as an NHL coach though. But I have faith in Murray, as he has been in the Senators organization.

I don't think you're wrong, but I can't help but wonder if it's partly somehow due to playing on a team that's this . Lack of quality linemates, no drive to win, too much pressure/no confidence?

Edited by IKnowPhysics

I don't think you're wrong, but I can't help but wonder if it's partly somehow due to playing on a team that's this ######. Lack of quality linemates, no drive to win, too much pressure/no confidence?

I think it's a lot of things put together. All I know is if I were coaching he'd at least be getting some power play time.

This is ridiculous. With all due respect. If they were "in lock step" then they would absolutely make it appear like the tank is intentional and there would be no plausible deniability.

There is no way, right now, Nolan and Murray can be seen as "being on the same page". It has to look like an internal cluster-f*#k for this to work.

So you think their perceived relationship right now is all a ruse and they are going to be lighting cigars and slapping each others backs in late june? I'll believe it when I see it.

Not true.  They had too many centers, especially after acquiring Malhotra, and not enough third line grit, so they made the move for Kassian.  Regier made the move to acquire skill over size.

Vancouver didn't trade him because they had too many centres, and really you can never have too many centres, because they can often be converted to the wing when needed.

They traded Cody because him, his agent and his dad were too much baggage and drama to deal with.  Gillis said himself that he spent more time on "Cody issues" then the rest of the teams issues combined.  

Cody wanted to play a bigger role on the team right out of the gate without paying his dues, and the team was simply too stacked at that time for it to happen.  There was also bad blood with management/coaches over the assessment of a back injury he had.  

Unfortunately Kassian hasnt worked out much better here.  The difference is that I dont feel Kassian has been given the opportunity to succeed here, which I am assuming Cody has in Buffalo.  It sucks because I really like Kassian and the way he plays..

Edited by NucksFan82

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.