Hockey Analytics

BagBoy

• 6 months later...

http://www.rit.edu/science/moneypuck

TrueBlue is going right? IKP?

Maybe I can get an old grumpy person who hates stats and will yell at panelists to be my +1?

Seriously though I am 80% sure I'm going, will know by Friday for sure (had another commitment I'm making sure I can reschedule).

One of my favourite hockey follows on Twitter will be there.

https://twitter.com/RegressedPDO/status/643421126257963008

Since Dellow and Tulsky got hired by teams, I think she's pretty clearly the best stats blogger out there.

Since Dellow and Tulsky got hired by teams, I think she's pretty clearly the best stats blogger out there.

Her content and methodology are intense. On Twitter, she does a nice job of connecting #fancystats to a normal fan's enjoyment of, frustration with his/her favourite team.

All self-taught, too, IIRC.

Her content and methodology are intense. On Twitter, she does a nice job of connecting #fancystats to a normal fan's enjoyment of, frustration with his/her favourite team.

All self-taught, too, IIRC.

Self-taught? You don't say. That would be the only way to learn something they're making up as they go, no?

Self-taught? You don't say. That would be the only way to learn something they're making up as they go, no?

Yea, it'd be impossible to have a formal education in statistics and apply those principles and methods to hockey analysis :rolleyes:

I meant self-taught.

IIRC, she's a law school grad who has a good grasp of how the game is played and also has a good mind for gathering and crunching numbers. She may have taken a stats class, but she's not a statistician per se.

Say what you will, her approach is intellectually rigorous and her conclusions are analytically defensible (and, I would say, sound and insightful). 

I meant self-taught.

IIRC, she's a law school grad who has a good grasp of how the game is played and also has a good mind for gathering and crunching numbers. She may have taken a stats class, but she's not a statistician per se.

Say what you will, her approach is intellectually rigorous and her conclusions are analytically defensible (and, I would say, sound and insightful). 

Oooh, sounds like Kim P. has some competition in the Heart of Smell.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.