Trade: Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux, + Low 1st for Kane, Bogosian, and Kasdorf

dudacek

He played just under 25 minutes a game last year and Maurice played him in a shut down role when he had him for Team Canada. This is what the The Hockey News has to say about him...

"Is incredibly big and lanky, but also a very good skater for his size. Can play in all game situations and also boasts very good offensive upside. Can also be a big-minute shutdown defender."

With respect to you and the hockey news, we know Tyler Myers better.  He was the only defenseman on the Sabres last year (save for maybe the short stints of Pysyk and Bogosian) who reliably tilted the ice in our favor, but he is at is worst beneath the circles.  That does not a big-minute shutdown defender make.

Yea, it is no longer the day of the trade where players I liked or was excited about suddenly were no longer here.  We have had time to digest, discuss, analyze, and otherwise evaluate.  I don't like the trade at the moment but I can live with it.  If all the prospects we traded you flame out, Myers continues to be Myers and Stafford goes back to his usual standards, then Kane and Bogosian help us win a cup I will love the trade. 

And if Kasdorf turns out to be something? We will be deep at G hopefully soon with development.

I'll bet anyone that Kasdorf doesn't start 10 NHL games for the Sabres. A goalie in that league with a .902 sv% does not look promising.

All due respect immerman... I will take what Paul Maurice says about him and he says he played Myers with Braydon Coburn in a shut down role at the worlds and was very happy with him. He shut down Ovie last year like he was a Norris candidate. Myers will be the 2nd RHD on this team for a long time and will play very well in the system. Our problem is finding a 1LHD to play with Trouba. I would be ecstatic if they moved Buff to LHD and it clicked for them. Myers with Enstrom is a good pairing.

sidenote:              not kissing azz or anything but I was/am surprised by the knowledgeable posters on here. It is the first forum other than the Jets I have ever visited and I was probably biased or prejudiced about American's knowledge of hockey. The way most flip flopped on this trade at the beginning few days added to this judgement; however, after being on here for a half year or so I have to come to realize that many of you are more knowledgeable than me (not hard) about the game and some are not as knowledgeable. Same as the Jets' forums I frequent. You even have an intruder that roots for a different team (me). You guys have a team for the future and I am glad to see it. It's about time you guys quit suffering. I know all about it. If you don't believe me, google our local CFL team. effin pathetic. Anyway, I like visiting here as there is less infighting and whining than most sites I visit. I was warmly welcomed, and enjoy the banter as well. I hope to beat you guys in OT of the 7th game for the cup in a couple of years. (Staf gets the goal...)

jk

All due respect immerman... I will take what Paul Maurice says about him and he says he played Myers with Braydon Coburn in a shut down role at the worlds and was very happy with him. He shut down Ovie last year like he was a Norris candidate. Myers will be the 2nd RHD on this team for a long time and will play very well in the system. Our problem is finding a 1LHD to play with Trouba. I would be ecstatic if they moved Buff to LHD and it clicked for them. Myers with Enstrom is a good pairing.

Well, we have watched Myers a good couple more hundred games than you have... Agree to disagree  :)

I'll bet anyone that Kasdorf doesn't start 10 NHL games for the Sabres. A goalie in that league with a .902 sv% does not look promising.

I don't have much hope in the kid, but it's not completely fair to judge him by those stats.  That RPI team was truly awful.  They weren't 2014-2015 Buffalo Sabres bad, but they brought very little to the table.

Our 1st and 2nd pairing D men should all get about 24-25 minutes a game.

That leaves our 3rd pairing D men with 10 minutes of ice time per game and that is enough.

Murray should have pushed for Jamie Philips (.933 sv%) instead of Kasdorf, you probably would have got him.

All due respect to you, of course, but Myers and Norris candidate should never be mentioned in the same breath. Unless it includes the words "will never be" in it. Seriously, he's a capable 2nd paring D. Probably will be quite a good one. But he will never be Norris caliber. The sports media in Winnipeg is ridiculously rose-colored right now, with the Jets still being in the honeymoon phase. I have personal experience with it. Some Winnipeg analysts were talking like they may go to the conference final or final last year. They didn't win a single playoff game. When the deal was made, the analysts like Lawless and others were acting like they gave up nothing in the deal and acquired the next Bobby Orr.  It's not happening. I get it, they are thrilled with the team being back and winning some games, so it's understandable that's it's all sunshine and daisies right now in the Peg. It'll change.

As for Byfuglien, he was a defensive liablity in the playoffs last year when the competition got serious. He's a good defenseman but having him on your top pair is a surefire way to guarantee you are not a consistent hockey team.

Well, we have watched Myers a good couple more hundred games than you have... Agree to disagree  :)

Yes.

Why is this thread even active?  Who cares about any of the players we traded?  Honestly, I hope they all ###### the bed, Winnipeg misses the playoffs for the next decade, and Kane and Bogosian lead the Sabres to a Cup.

I am pretty much at this point now, too.

Oh, Myers is going to be your 2nd pairing defender?  He'll be fine then.

Agreed.

Our 1st and 2nd pairing D men should all get about 24-25 minutes a game.

That leaves our 3rd pairing D men with 10 minutes of ice time per game and that is enough.

Murray should have pushed for Jamie Philips (.933 sv%) instead of Kasdorf, you probably would have got him.

Murray should have contacted you then, you would have been able to let him know!

Edited by Thorny

Look, Myers for Bogo was basically a straight swap. Myers has more offense, Bogo is better defensively/Physical.  Winnipeg fans should think of Myers with the same regard they thought of Bogo.  Myers lacks the hockey brain to win a Norris, he just isn't that consistent.  I have watched him shut down players for 1 week or 2 weeks or even half a season but eventually teams figure him out.  For instance you should throw the puck at his feet because he loses it.  You should pressure him along the wall because he can't think fast enough.  His point shot takes far to long to wind up. Those are his flaws.  His positives are his size, skating/passing, and ability to play solid 2nd pairing minutes without blinking an eye.  Unless something drastic changes, Tyler Myers will never be nominated for a Norris. 

The rest of the trade is up in the air. We hope Kane will be back to peak health and with good centers play great hockey. Frankly we should be critical and skeptical of Kane until he shows us why he could be a 30g guy. Winnipeg hopes that at least one of Armia, Lemiuex or whatever else they got pans out. 

Kasdorf, if he is a decent AHL GT that's a win. If he makes the show, color me impressed.

I know Myers isn't about to win the Norris, I was mentioning it in context to how he played against Ovie. Maurice has a system here that Myers took to immediately.

Myers for Bogo is not a wash. Think what you will but if you believe that, I have some swamp land up by Lake Winnipeg I can sell you.......actually took a drive by there today, lotsa ducks.

quack quack

I know Myers isn't about to win the Norris, I was mentioning it in context to how he played against Ovie. Maurice has a system here that Myers took to immediately.

Myers for Bogo is not a wash. Think what you will but if you believe that, I have some swamp land up by Lake Winnipeg I can sell you.......actually took a drive by there today, lotsa ducks.

quack quack

The thing with Myers Ducky is: hes all about potential, and nothing else. He'll show you flashes of shutdown, flashes of physical/big hits, and then he'll score like Karlsson, but they are exactly that, only flashes. He'll easily be the most frustrating player on your team because you'll want him to be more, and see that he can be, but then he'll lose it the next week

All I need to know about Bogo was answered in his first game with us after the trade. In that one game, ONE GAME, Bogo equaled 25% of Meyers' hit totals for the entire season at that point.

ONE GAME!

GO SABRES!!!

I give all new players a clean slate. Myers was consistent for the time he was here last season. Ask me again around the All Star Break and I will give you my honest opinion on his game. I think he will do well in Maurice's system. I've heard nothing but bad things about Staf from 98% of the posters on here and he played very well, in my opinion. Sometimes a change is good for an athlete. The players going your way are carrying baggage as well but they too should be given a clean slate.

quack quack

The fact that Bogosian is even close to Myers when Bogosian wasn't the centerpiece of the deal from our point of view, is quite the plus. Myers is the centerpiece for the Jets in the trade. Our secondary piece is nearly as good as the primary piece for the Jets.

If we come out of the trade with the 1st and 3rd best players in the deal, likely, we win the trade.

Edited by Thorny

A few quick comments about Myers. IF you find him the right partner, he will play very well. It appears that in Enstrom the Jets have given him that partner.

As immerman mentioned, while he can be solid defensively, he has too many issues down low to be considered a true "shut down" D-man. If Maurice truly considers him a "shut down" D-man, he wouldn't be 2nd pairing - especially when you consider what he can bring outside his zone. But he is more solid in his own end than many here might want to admit. (A fair portion of the Sabres issues the past 2 seasons was being forced to use not just Myers in a "shut down" role, but using Mike Weber in a "shut down" role as well. ;))

And individual guys can have a particular player (or players) that they are inordinately good against. Smehlik was not a disaster when playing against the Phlyers. It's the total body of work that they get judged on. And Myers will be judged to be good because he's solid to good in both ends & in transition, not sure that he'll be a true Norris candidate (guys finding themselves on the 2nd pairing are rarely judged to be the best in the league) but do expect him to get mentions. But it would be surprising if his play in 1 tourney against Ovie is what gets him the mentions. ;)

I fully expect the Jets to be happy w/ Myers and the Sabres to like Bogosian - they both bring something their new teams needed. And I still expect Myers to be (at least slightly) better than Bogosian when all is said & done. I'm ok w/ that. It's been a reeeeeeaaaal long time since the Sabres have had a Bogosian and there weren't any guys in the pipeline that project to what he brings (barring the "concept of Zadorov" ;) ).

Just wondering, can a team not have two pairings of D men they consider shut down pairs.

Enstrom is one of the smartest D men in the game and usually makes anyone he plays with look better.

If he plays with Myers and Trouba pairs with Buff, We have, arguably, the best 4 starting D men in the NHL.

Just wondering, can a team not have two pairings of D men they consider shut down pairs.

Enstrom is one of the smartest D men in the game and usually makes anyone he plays with look better.

If he plays with Myers and Trouba pairs with Buff, We have, arguably, the best 4 starting D men in the NHL.

Some people in Nashville might dispute your claim. ;)

I would say that it is possible to have 2 shut down pairs, but that Myers is not a shut down D-man. (Paul Maurice's comment not withstanding.) Please note, that is not saying he isn't good in his own end.

All I need to know about Bogo was answered in his first game with us after the trade. In that one game, ONE GAME, Bogo equaled 25% of Meyers' hit totals for the entire season at that point.

ONE GAME!

GO SABRES!!!

Myers, with the Jets (15), got 75% of the points Bogo did all year.

Bogo with Sabres 0-7 for 7 points and a -7

Myers with Jets 2-13 for 15 and a +9