All Hasek's Eve, your memories, rants and raves

PASabreFan

I'd like to start with how I'd like to see the ceremony begin. SabreTooth, as is his wont (or as his wont used to be), rapels down from the rafters. There's the schpiel, yada yada yada, and they call Dom's name. He doesn't come out. They call again. No Dom. As the crowd murmurs (has the flake flaked on us again?), Tooth rips off his head and it was Dom all along! One final crazy antic. Someone email TNB.

I'm sort of ambivalent about Hasek at this point. My anger about how he left has receded to meh. He deserves this night, no doubt. I would stand and applaud, but no tears and no hoots and hollers.

Maybe Judge Smell, after he's pounded back his third nightcap, will regale us in the tale of seeing Dom up close and personal, almost a bit too personal.

The rest of you peasants, carry on...

I'd like to start with how I'd like to see the ceremony begin. SabreTooth, as is his wont (or as his wont used to be), rapels down from the rafters. There's the schpiel, yada yada yada, and they call Dom's name. He doesn't come out. They call again. No Dom. As the crowd murmurs (has the flake flaked on us again?), Tooth rips off his head and it was Dom all along! One final crazy antic. Someone email TNB.

I'm sort of ambivalent about Hasek at this point. My anger about how he left has receded to meh. He deserves this night, no doubt. I would stand and applaud, but no tears and no hoots and hollers.

Maybe Judge Smell, after he's pounded back his third nightcap, will regale us in the tale of seeing Dom up close and personal, almost a bit too personal.

The rest of you peasants, carry on...

Interesting............

My favorite thing about Dom is the confidence that I will never see another goalie like him ever again. We had the pleasure of watching the Bobby Orr of the Goal Crease. Once in a lifetime great.

The man would make a save and clear the zone all by himself.

And my Brother and Father met him earlier this year. He was signing autographs during his little HoF night in buffalo, and time had run out with several dozen people left in the line. The PR folks let him know that time was up and tried to move him along to the next event. He shut them down and said (in his fantastic accent), "No, I want to make sure all these people get their items signed." And he stayed to see it through. And it wasn't just signing, "Next", sign, "Next". He was taking the time to chat will each fan who wanted to share their favorite Dominator memory.

So he is an awesome guy in addition to being the greatest Goalie of all time. The Sabres fans who are still upset that he told a bunch of criminals to ###### off are really missing out.

My favorite thing about Dom is the confidence that I will never see another goalie like him ever again. We had the pleasure of watching the Bobby Orr of the Goal Crease. Once in a lifetime great.

And my Brother and Father met him earlier this year. He was signing autographs during his little HoF night in buffalo, and time had run out with several dozen people left in the line. The PR folks let him know that time was up and tried to move him along to the next event. He shut them down and said (in his fantastic accent), "No, I want to make sure all these people get their items signed." And he stayed to see it through. And it wasn't just signing, "Next", sign, "Next". He was taking the time to chat will each fan who wanted to share their favorite Dominator memory.

So he is an awesome guy in addition to being the greatest Goalie of all time. The Sabres fans who are still upset that he told a bunch of criminals to ###### off are really missing out.

well being retired can change a person. I would say i got to meet Dom during his playing days. but he was such a standoffish prick he wouldn't even come down to ice level to meet a bunch of 12 year old kids that thought he was the greatest. Ray was even giving him ###### for it as he came out to skate with us. But Dom was the greatest.

I have no reason to be mad at Dom. He did what any of us would have done.

His attitude towards signing stuff at events like that has definitely changed. One year, at one of the then mandatory signing events, he'd only sign his last name. He did sign fully @ a couple of others.

He was definitely a different breed of cat.

Way too many memorable moments to mention them all. 1 good, 1 bad that stand out were the famous robbing of the Lemieux 1 timer from the slot w/ his glove and losing a race to a lose puck against Messier that sealed a win for the Strangers back in the Aud.

I like to think there would be some among the human race who would be loyal to the franchise that gave him a chance and, oh, nine to 10 million dollars a year for awhile there.

Yeah sure and I'll just stay at a job that pays me well and offers nothing else. Money ain't everything. Dom wanted a Cup and he knew he wasn't going to get one here. He was a smart man.

I have many great memories about Hasek's play, was told many off the record stories about his off ice antics and never blamed him for leaving.

The best memory however, was very personal. I was fortunate enough to take my son into the locker room after a Sabre victory. Hasek could not have been better. He talked to my son for almost ten minutes, signed his jersey and posed for pictures. it was one birthday my son will never forget.

well being retired can change a person. I would say i got to meet Dom during his playing days. but he was such a standoffish prick he wouldn't even come down to ice level to meet a bunch of 12 year old kids that thought he was the greatest. Ray was even giving him ###### for it as he came out to skate with us. But Dom was the greatest.

I got his autograph a few times in the 90s after games. He seemed still in a zone from the games, but other than that, he still signed.

I got his autograph a few times in the 90s after games. He seemed still in a zone from the games, but other than that, he still signed.

he was to busy getting himself in "the zone" for the morning practice for the first day of training camp. looking back chances are good he was hung over and grumpy. but still dick move to do to a bunch of kids that are clearly in awe of you.

For thous that remember sabreland in wheatfield. Dom stayed up on the top of the stairs refusing to come down until my peewee summer league team left the ice. the entire rest of the team was down by the boards cheering us on or out skating with us.

There was never a more dominant goalie. Never will be.

My favourite thing about Dom was that smug feeling of invincibility he gave me as a Sabre fan in a part of the world where there ain't many. He crawled into the head of other team's fans just like he did to shooters.

It was a privilege and a treat to watch him play.

I used to be very bitter about Hasek leaving and saying he's going to the HOF as a Red Wing plus the way he orchestrated the Kozlov trade made him a villain for a long time in the Buffalo area. Over time, I've come to think that Hasek badly wanted Buffalo to win the cup but Buffalo's management was not committed to winning the big one and that's why he bailed. But I have mixed feelings. All those years he was being paid $10 mil/year and the highest paid other player was maybe $4 mil unfortunately was a big reason, as was his quirky relationship with his coaches and teammates and the failure to sign Peca. I always wondered if he gave up a few choice goals on purpose as if to prove a point. (Kasperitis)

I hold a grudge. This ceremony does nothing for me. Hate me for it.

Me too.

And not because he demanded and then dictated the terms of his trade to the Red Wings. I do not fault him for that, no sir, I don't.

I will say it one last time for the record, in case any member is not clear on my feelings, he quit on his team and the fans a few years before the trade. That is when I soured on Dom.

I do believe he was the greatest goalie in the history of the sport.

One memory that sticks out in my mind, for some reason, is when the puck deflected really high straight up in the air.... Dom was looking around trying to find it.... it finally comes down, deflects off the back of his head and into the goal.

Aside from that, one time when I was ~10 years old, my dad had a goalie stick signed by Steve Shields. He painted over his autograph so I could get it signed by Hasek at an offseason signing I went to with my uncle.... but I never ended up getting it, haha!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.