Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

What did Buddy say on that secretly recorded telephone conversation? "Bad time to need one" - referring to the QB position. It really was. But I'm not so sure there have been many good times to need one in league and/or a given franchise's history.

Anyone else see this quote from Dareus re the new DL coach? Ummm.

+++

“It’s just kind of a clash” between “the way I play and the way he coaches,” Dareus said. “And I’m just trying to incorporate what he wants into what I do to kind of just make it work so I can do what I know he wants and make it work for me as well. We’re just trying to fit the puzzle pieces right now.

“I still feel like he doesn’t understand me and is just trying to figure me out. But we’re trying to work together. We’re working closer. I’m a free player. I like to mess plays up. I like to just be all-out with it. If I can knock down three” blockers, “I can knock down three. I’m going to do whatever it takes to get to the ball. He kind of wants me to be more of a technical player, stay in your gap, fundamentals.”

So it seems like my entire point was missed by a mile.

I wasn't talking about specifics. At all. I was purposefully general. Get me a QB. Whatever it takes. I don't care who is available. Make somebody available within the next year. What I said is still prefaced with "within reason." The talent you give will be similar to the talent you receive in all logical situations.

On not being able to afford a QB if we want to keep Dareus: disagree. We can have both. Hopefully we eventually do. They've set the team up to succeed with a QB on a rookie contract, but the team can make the necessary moves to pay a veteran if it came down to that and the opportunity presented itself. Anybody that's getting paid is movable on this team.

Also: I do like Cousins. Would've been interested in him this offseason, but I suspect Washington wasn't selling him when his value was this low.

I never said a team was going to move their QB if he's the only quality QB they had.

My point is that there are no excuses. If a guy is available and you don't have a lot of questions about his ability you make it happen.

That's a very small box you're in at this point. 

“It’s just kind of a clash” between “the way I play and the way he coaches,” Dareus said. “And I’m just trying to incorporate what he wants into what I do to kind of just make it work so I can do what I know he wants and make it work for me as well. We’re just trying to fit the puzzle pieces right now.

“I still feel like he doesn’t understand me and is just trying to figure me out. But we’re trying to work together. We’re working closer. I’m a free player. I like to mess plays up. I like to just be all-out with it. If I can knock down three” blockers, “I can knock down three. I’m going to do whatever it takes to get to the ball. He kind of wants me to be more of a technical player, stay in your gap, fundamentals.”

Easily my biggest concern why Ryan was hired: how is he going to handle the classic 4-3 d-line we have with his usual scheme of package blitzes and schemes 

Edited by WildCard

What did Buddy say on that secretly recorded telephone conversation? "Bad time to need one" - referring to the QB position. It really was. But I'm not so sure there have been many good times to need one in league and/or a given franchise's history.

Anyone else see this quote from Dareus re the new DL coach? Ummm.

+++

Saw the quote, and while it raised an eyebrow, the last thing I'm concerned about is the coaches not figuring out how to use Dareus in the defense. I can't imagine this develops into a lasting issue with Rex around.

Why would any team with only one quality QB trade him? Insert any cliche you want, but it takes two to tango, and there is no logical reason for any team to trade their QB if he's good. Brees makes some sense next offseason because of potential cos savings and some logic in the Saints blowing it up...but I'd still be utterly shocked if he gets moved.

If you're willing to move literally anything for a QB because the position is that important, it makes sense that any other team isn't willing to move their QB for anything .

Because a team like the Saints will have to rebuild at some point and that's where the Bills jump in. ..

Because a team like the Saints will have to rebuild at some point and that's where the Bills jump in. ..

Yes, they have to rebuild, and it will start when Brees retires. There's a reasonable argument they should trade Brees next year to kick start the rebuild, but in reality, I just can't see it happening. I'm sure they believe that as long as Brees is there, they have a shot; in other words, no rebuild.

Just taking from 26CB over at TBD

@SalSports

Bills owner Terry Pegula and Coach Rex Ryan are both signing autographs on their way to the field this morning.

CLaHsheVEAA7XP1.jpg

John Miller just held his own in back to back 1on1 attempts versus Dareus and Kyle Williams. What a way to start for the rookie #Bills

Edited by WildCard

Sounds like Cassel is the number 1 QB. Rex tipped his hand early..

???

Alright, I'll lob in my predictions for the season now:

AFC East: Miami Dolphins (4)

AFC West: Denver Broncos (2)

AFC North: Pittsburgh Steelers (3)

AFC South: Indianapolis Colts (1)

AFC Wild Cards: Baltimore Ravens (5), Buffalo Bills (6) (New England and San Diego just miss, Oakland surprises with a good year)

NFC East: Dallas Cowboys (3)

NFC West: Seattle Seahawks (1)

NFC North: Green Bay Packers (2)

NFC South: Atlanta Falcons (4)

NFC Wild Cards: Minnesota Vikings (5), Arizona Cardinals (6) (St. Louis just misses)

Wild Card: Pittsburgh (3) over Buffalo (6), Baltimore (5) over Miami (4); Dallas (3) over Arizona (6), Minnesota (5) over Atlanta (4)

Divisional Round: Indianapolis (1) over Baltimore (5), Denver (2) over Pittsburgh (3); Seattle (1) over Minnesota (5), Green Bay (2) over Dallas (3)

AFC Championship: Colts over Broncos, 38-34

NFC Championship: Seahawks over Packers, 24-17

Super Bowl: Seahawks over Colts, 27-24

MVP: Andrew Luck, Colts

Offensive Player of the Year: Andrew Luck, Colts

Defensive Player of the Year: Luke Kuechly, Panthers

Offensive Rookie of the Year: Amari Cooper, WR, Oakland

Defensive Rookie of the Year: Eric Kendricks, LB, Minnesota

Coach of the Year: Joe Philbin, Miami

This is assuming Brady's suspension sticks.

Edited by Hoss

???

They were supposed to be in a rotation.  Rex said today that Casell should work with the 1s and the other two should work with the 2s and 3s.

“We put (Cassel) there,” said Ryan of working with the ones. “That’s what we want to do. With his experience we think it’s more appropriate that he’s always rotating with them. Tyrod will get his equal turns at the one spot and so will EJ, so we’re putting them there, but when we go to running some other units they go down with the threes because they’re younger and are going to be with some of these younger guys. We think that’s the best way to develop these young quarterbacks.”

Edited by wjag

They were supposed to be in a rotation.  Rex said today that Casell should work with the 1s and the other two should work with the 2s and 3s.

“We put (Cassel) there,” said Ryan of working with the ones. “That’s what we want to do. With his experience we think it’s more appropriate that he’s always rotating with them. Tyrod will get his equal turns at the one spot and so will EJ, so we’re putting them there, but when we go to running some other units they go down with the threes because they’re younger and are going to be with some of these younger guys. We think that’s the best way to develop these young quarterbacks.”

I don't think that's him naming a starter. Sounds like a challenge for EJ and Tyrod to earn more reps, though. Which it doesn't sound like EJ is capable of doing. We'll see what he's saying in a week.

I don't think that's him naming a starter. Sounds like a challenge for EJ and Tyrod to earn more reps, though. Which it doesn't sound like EJ is capable of doing. We'll see what he's saying in a week.

I think the hand writing has been on the wall since they signed Cassel.  I'm disappointed he did not give Taylor a fair chance.

I think the hand writing has been on the wall since they signed Cassel.  I'm disappointed he did not give Taylor a fair chance.

I think Cassel was the fast and early leader, but I do believe there's plenty of time left in this. If trends continue with Taylor being the only one appearing competent in drills then he'll get a look.

From the Bills:

STATEMENT FROM BILLS MANAGING PARTNER AND PRESIDENT RUSS BRANDON

“Over the past several weeks the Bills organization has gathered information regarding the incident involving Offensive Line Coach Aaron Kromer.  Today we have concluded our investigation and the Buffalo Bills will suspend Coach Kromer without pay for the first six games of the 2015 NFL regular season.  The suspension will begin on Monday, September 7, 2015 and end with the conclusion of the Buffalo Bills vs. Cincinnati Bengals game on October 18, 2015.

“We worked in conjunction with the NFL on this matter and we are highly supportive of the NFL Personal Conduct Policy that holds all NFL and club employees to a higher standard.

“We look forward to Coach Kromer rejoining the Bills organization at Training Camp.”

I'll take a shot at Hoss's prediction:

AFC East: Buffalo Bills (4)

AFC West: Denver Broncos (3)

AFC North: Baltimore Ravens (2)

AFC South: Indianapolis Colts (1)

AFC Wild Cards: Pittsburgh Steelers (5), San Diego Chargers (6)

NFC East: Dallas Cowboys (3)

NFC West: Seattle Seahawks (2)

NFC North: Green Bay Packers (1)

NFC South: Carolina Panthers (4)

NFC Wild Cards: Minnesota Vikings (5), Atlanta Falcons (6) 

Wild Card: Denver (3) over San Diego(6), Buffalo (4) over Pittsburgh (5); Dallas (3) over Atlanta (6), Carolina (4) over Minnesota (5)

Divisional Round: Buffalo (4) over Indianapolis (1), Baltimore (2) over Denver (3); Green Bay (1) over Carolina (5), Seattle (2) over Dallas (3)

AFC Championship: Baltimore over Buffalo, 28-14

NFC Championship: Green Bay over Seattle, 31-27

Super Bowl: Green Bay over Baltimore, 41-31

STATEMENT FROM BILLS MANAGING PARTNER AND PRESIDENT RUSS BRANDON

“the Buffalo Bills will suspend Coach Kromer without pay for the first six games of the 2015 NFL regular season."

What - no hue and cry from those who busted out their virtual torches and e-pitchforks when this news first broke a few weeks ago?

Well, the suspension is costing Kromer $127K, which means his annual salary is about $340K.  If he paid the family another $100K to drop the charges, then his after-tax income for the year will be about $20K (I'm assuming the suspension hit is pre-tax but the settlement payment is after-tax). 

So acting like a aggressive, violent buffoon for a night cost him no jail time but a big hit to his reputation and he has to work for a year for almost no income. 

It's actually not a bad outcome.

The idea that a 4-game suspension of Brady will imperil the Patriots' playoff chances is fairly laughable. Last time that team had a true "us against the world" season? They went 16-0 and blew just about everyone out of the water. Until Brady starts to show his age, that team is a contender every season.

What - no hue and cry from those who busted out their virtual torches and e-pitchforks when this news first broke a few weeks ago?

*raises hand*

I think he should have been fired. If what transpired was bad enough for him to hand out a (presumably) hefty settlement and for the team to suspend him for 6 games...I just can't get to the point where an offensive line coach is worth it.

*raises hand*

I think he should have been fired. If what transpired was bad enough for him to hand out a (presumably) hefty settlement and for the team to suspend him for 6 games...I just can't get to the point where an offensive line coach is worth it.

To play contrarian, there probably was only a hefty settlement because he is a public figure in a position of (fairly) large notoriety. If this was Joe Smith who worked 2nd shift at the Ford plant i'm guessing this is either a) settled out of court for basically nothing or b) not even brought to charges since neither party has the means to pursue a lengthy court proceeding for a late night tussle.

The employer for Joe Smith in the above situation probably doesn't even get wind of this and he goes on to live his life and work his job as usual.

Because it was Aaron Kromer who is in the spotlight as a member of the staff of an NFL team, and there are dedicated media/reporters out there to cover only NFL related news, the situation cost him more than your average guy, but no way do I think he should be fired since he's not been convicted of anything and there are no longer charges being pursued. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.