Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

He was a part of free agency and it was known (at least internally) that he was getting the promotion. He has admitted that he had a large influence on the EJ and other picks. Was at the forefront in free agency. He's had three offseasons.

You get all the blame when things go wrong and only some of the credit when things go right. A lot of it is timing and luck. That is why in the real world, in the business world, we only recognize the actual titles and job description, not supposition of how much influence someone had or didn't have before he/she got the actual position. If Manuel was a star, most would tell us how it was Buddy's pick. The record shows that he was promoted in May 2013 and in my world that is all he gets credit and blame for. Worst for you, in Terry Pegula's world this was his first off season.

Ok, he's had two offseasons.  I'll accept that--actually, three seemed too long when I read it.  I'm not sure that the decision to spend two first-rounders on a WR, coupled with the fact that the team has no QB, means that he should get a third.

EDIT:  By the way, he also fell upstairs on the coaching situation.  If not for Pegula's devil-may-care attitude with respect to money, and Ryan's sudden availability, he'd look pretty foolish for signing Marrone to that contract with its out clause.

Edited by Eleven

Ok, he's had two offseasons.  I'll accept that--actually, three seemed too long when I read it.  I'm not sure that the decision to spend two first-rounders on a WR, coupled with the fact that the team has no QB, means that he should get a third.

EDIT:  By the way, he also fell upstairs on the coaching situation.  If not for Pegula's devil-may-care attitude with respect to money, and Ryan's sudden availability, he'd look pretty foolish for signing Marrone to that contract with its out clause.

Again, job descriptions. Marrone was 4 months before Whaley is GM.  He probably had a role in picking Marrone, may even have talked total money but that out clause has to be on the money men. 

And haven't heard "devil may care" in awhile, thanks.

I will admit that the Watkins' trade is questionable but I don't agree that its as egregious as some believe.

Edited by tom webster

Based purely on Twitter it sounds like EJ was brutal for the second day in a row, Cassel was meh and Taylor looked very good. But it was against air.

Heard nothing but great things about Sammy so far in these two days.

Also, projected starting rookie right guard John Miller got hurt today. Cyril Richardson filled in. We've got two open roster spots right now and there are a few good guards available if the injury is bad.

NFL Network was at Bills practice today, too. Ian Rapoport said John Harbaugh told him that Tyrod Taylor is better than anybody thinks. Rapoport believes Taylor has a shot.

Edited by Hoss

Based purely on Twitter it sounds like EJ was brutal for the second day in a row, Cassel was meh and Taylor looked very good. But it was against air.

Also, projected starting rookie right guard John Miller got hurt today. Cyril Richardson filled in. We've got two open roster spots right now and there are a few good guards available if the injury is bad.

NFL Network was at Bills practice today, too. Ian Rapoport said John Harbaugh told him that Tyrod Taylor is better than anybody thinks. Rapoport believes Taylor has a shot.

We better hope he does. 

Again, job descriptions. Marrone was 4 months before Whaley is GM.  He probably had a role in picking Marrone, may even have talked total money but that out clause has to be on the money men. 

And haven't heard "devil may care" in awhile, thanks.

I will admit that the Watkins' trade is questionable but I don't agree that its as egregious as some believe.

I've got my timeline screwed up completely, it seems.

Mike Rodak ‏@mikerodak  1h1 hour ago

I'm not sure that Manuel and Matt Cassel could look worse than they just did. No INTs, but partly because they were so inaccurate. 1 for 8.

Matthew Coller ‏@MatthewWGR  39m39 minutes ago

The word of Bills training camp as it pertains to quarterback updates will be: "Welp"

I'd say this about sums it up nicely.

Mike Rodak ‏@mikerodak  1h1 hour ago
I'm not sure that Manuel and Matt Cassel could look worse than they just did. No INTs, but partly because they were so inaccurate. 1 for 8.

Matthew Coller ‏@MatthewWGR  39m39 minutes ago
The word of Bills training camp as it pertains to quarterback updates will be: "Welp"

I'd say this about sums it up nicely.

This is such a disappointment.  I really wanted Manuel to charge out of the gate.

Seems like the Bills have to survive training camp every year. How 'hurt' is Miller.

TBD poster goes to camp and does a really nice write-up every day, here it is.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/179574-astro-notes-day-2-satuday-8-1-15/

FWIW he depicts the QB's in a more positive light; not unexpected seeing as he is a fan though. Rodak, OTOH, is an unequivocal ass-hat

Rodak may be just that, but his reviews on the QBs are hardly rogue. Every single reporter I've seen has had equally terrible things to say about the QBs.

Time to trade picks and pro bowl D player for an aging qb with a couple good years left. These qbs here have zero chance in getting this team to the playoffs. We cannot afford to waste the talent on this team any longer.....ugh

Every agin Qb worth trading for either comes with a cap we can't afford, or is a UFA next year anyways.

Every agin Qb worth trading for either comes with a cap we can't afford, or is a UFA next year anyways.

There is essentially no such thing as "UFA" when it comes to good NFL QBs. Almost a lock for the tag. And we can afford any QB we want... Just need to make it happen. And by need I mean NEED.

The way I look at the Bills potential acquisition of a suitable QB is this: there is absolutely no reason or excuse not to do it unless you have legitimately questions about the QBs ability. Otherwise: NONE. Not money. Not cap hit. Not players/picks needed to acquire them. Not age. Nothing. You make it happen. Considering what this team has endured at the position for so long: you make it happen.

There is essentially no such thing as "UFA" when it comes to good NFL QBs. Almost a lock for the tag. And we can afford any QB we want... Just need to make it happen. And by need I mean NEED.

The way I look at the Bills potential acquisition of a suitable QB is this: there is absolutely no reason or excuse not to do it unless you have legitimately questions about the QBs ability. Otherwise: NONE. Not money. Not cap hit. Not players/picks needed to acquire them. Not age. Nothing. You make it happen. Considering what this team has endured at the position for so long: you make it happen.

Prepare for disappointment

We can't afford any QB we want, especially if we want to keep Dareus. Who do you realistically intend to trade for next offseason? Brees? Might as well wait seeing as the trade alone would put us back into the Stone Age, and his cap hit would demand intense cuts. Other than that, you have Rivers (tag), Manning (resign), and Bradford, who, depending on his season this year will likely resign or not be worth it anyways. Outside of trading for Rivers, there really aren't any options. As TrueBlue posted above, there are two tiers of QBs: Elite, and then the rest. And, like McEichel, you can only really draft Elite. 

There is Foles (likely resigned), and Kirk Cousins. Cousins could be available seeing as the ownership in Washington seems hell bent on the RG3 experiment continuing (juts picked up his option for 2 more years). Cousins is a UFA, and would be an upgrade, but you're not exactly getting Rivers level here, or even Tannehill 

No, I don't expect it to happen. That's just the attitude I have about the QB position.

I get the attitude about the position, by all means it's right. But saying the Bills need to move hell and high water to make it happen just isn't right IMO. They went a defensive approach, and by the looks of the recent success of the Seahawks and the money thrown at Suh and Watt, it isn't exactly groundbreaking. The only difference is the Dolphins and Seahawks were able to draft their guy; we took a shot on EJ, so far it hasn't panned out.

Edited by WildCard

Why would any team with only one quality QB trade him? Insert any cliche you want, but it takes two to tango, and there is no logical reason for any team to trade their QB if he's good. Brees makes some sense next offseason because of potential cos savings and some logic in the Saints blowing it up...but I'd still be utterly shocked if he gets moved.

If you're willing to move literally anything for a QB because the position is that important, it makes sense that any other team isn't willing to move their QB for anything .

Edited by TrueBluePhD

So it seems like my entire point was missed by a mile.

We can't afford any QB we want, especially if we want to keep Dareus. Who do you realistically intend to trade for next offseason? Brees? Might as well wait seeing as the trade alone would put us back into the Stone Age, and his cap hit would demand intense cuts. Other than that, you have Rivers (tag), Manning (resign), and Bradford, who, depending on his season this year will likely resign or not be worth it anyways. Outside of trading for Rivers, there really aren't any options. As TrueBlue posted above, there are two tiers of QBs: Elite, and then the rest. And, like McEichel, you can only really draft Elite. 

There is Foles (likely resigned), and Kirk Cousins. Cousins could be available seeing as the ownership in Washington seems hell bent on the RG3 experiment continuing (juts picked up his option for 2 more years). Cousins is a UFA, and would be an upgrade, but you're not exactly getting Rivers level here, or even Tannehill 

I get the attitude about the position, by all means it's right. But saying the Bills need to move hell and high water to make it happen just isn't right IMO. They went a defensive approach, and by the looks of the recent success of the Seahawks and the money thrown at Suh and Watt, it isn't exactly groundbreaking. The only difference is the Dolphins and Seahawks were able to draft their guy; we took a shot on EJ, so far it hasn't panned out.

I wasn't talking about specifics. At all. I was purposefully general. Get me a QB. Whatever it takes. I don't care who is available. Make somebody available within the next year. What I said is still prefaced with "within reason." The talent you give will be similar to the talent you receive in all logical situations.

On not being able to afford a QB if we want to keep Dareus: disagree. We can have both. Hopefully we eventually do. They've set the team up to succeed with a QB on a rookie contract, but the team can make the necessary moves to pay a veteran if it came down to that and the opportunity presented itself. Anybody that's getting paid is movable on this team.

Also: I do like Cousins. Would've been interested in him this offseason, but I suspect Washington wasn't selling him when his value was this low.

Why would any team with only one quality QB trade him? Insert any cliche you want, but it takes two to tango, and there is no logical reason for any team to trade their QB if he's good. Brees makes some sense next offseason because of potential cos savings and some logic in the Saints blowing it up...but I'd still be utterly shocked if he gets moved.

If you're willing to move literally anything for a QB because the position is that important, it makes sense that any other team isn't willing to move their QB for anything .

I never said a team was going to move their QB if he's the only quality QB they had.

My point is that there are no excuses. If a guy is available and you don't have a lot of questions about his ability you make it happen.

So it seems like my entire point was missed by a mile.

I wasn't talking about specifics. At all. I was purposefully general. Get me a QB. Whatever it takes. I don't care who is available. Make somebody available within the next year. What I said is still prefaced with "within reason." The talent you give will be similar to the talent you receive in all logical situations.

On not being able to afford a QB if we want to keep Dareus: disagree. We can have both. Hopefully we eventually do. They've set the team up to succeed with a QB on a rookie contract, but the team can make the necessary moves to pay a veteran if it came down to that and the opportunity presented itself. Anybody that's getting paid is movable on this team.

Also: I do like Cousins. Would've been interested in him this offseason, but I suspect Washington wasn't selling him when his value was this low.

I never said a team was going to move their QB if he's the only quality QB they had.

My point is that there are no excuses. If a guy is available and you don't have a lot of questions about his ability you make it happen.

I get your point but I think your use of the word excuses implies that there is blame to place for not getting it done.

You are right, if there is one available, you figure out a way to make it happen. Like Blue said, however, there isn't one available.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.