GDT: Sabres at Red Wings 12-23-2014 7:30PM

Brawndo

Well for some reason I couldn't get this site to load after the second, but holy crap what happened to the Sabres in the 3rd?? Wheels came off is right. Ugh. Well, extra days off for the sick players to fully recover and hopefully Sat. night will be better.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it!

I don't know where else to put it, so here goes: I think Brian Flynn can be an NHL player on a good team. I never used to, but I've come around. He's just smart, has some great wheels, and does just enough for me to want him around. He's ideally suited to a good 4th line in today's NHL, and can flex up to the 3rd line for a short span without totally embarrassing himself. When this team is good I want Flynn to still be around as a depth piece.

Ah, thanks for the spelling clarification. :blush:

And I agree on the hit as well. Good solid hit by a big guy.

hah i was wrong with my spelling to its Dekeyser, im sometimes surprised how many dutch/flemish names are playing the NHL.

Verbeek is pretty common over here, Van Riemsdyk, nieuwendyk, yzerman, ysebaert , versteeg, van der gullik.

Vandevelde, dehaan, steen, hamhuis, brouwer, postma.

Guess it shouldn't be to surprising seeing detroit still had a dutch newspaper untill few years back.

Edited by Heimdall

I don't know where else to put it, so here goes: I think Brian Flynn can be an NHL player on a good team. I never used to, but I've come around. He's just smart, has some great wheels, and does just enough for me to want him around. He's ideally suited to a good 4th line in today's NHL, and can flex up to the 3rd line for a short span without totally embarrassing himself. When this team is good I want Flynn to still be around as a depth piece.

He's winning me over too. I've used him as a marker: the Sabres will be good again when Flynn can no longer make the team.

That still may be true, but the guy just makes himself useful in the way you describe.

He's winning me over too. I've used him as a marker: the Sabres will be good again when Flynn can no longer make the team.

That still may be true, but the guy just makes himself useful in the way you describe.

I really like Flynn. And I don't think he had a good game last night. But I think he's a guy that fills out a roster on the cheap and adds value to wherever you play him. He makes more sense for a roster than a Tim Kennedy, or a Nate Gerbe for instance just because of his versatility.

Well, that was disappointing. I tried to post during the game but found internet access was problematic.

Couldn't believe the Sabres were leading after 2 - especially with a 2 to 1+ shot disparity to the Wings.

PK was brutal - other than the wild Benoit short handed goal, the Sabres couldn't kill a penalty to save their lives.

Meszaros was brutal - he'd be a good tank commander.

I know some of you thought Hodgson was playing well - I thought he was mediocre. But maybe that's just personal prejudice - I know he gets knocked off the puck pretty easily, and passes it away like it's a hot potato when he gets it. And I saw that multiple times last night.

And some of the penalties were questionable - I was there with a Wings fan - and he kept wondering about the calls too! Wouldn't have been such a big deal if the Sabres ordinarily good PK wasn't so awful.

Players I was impressed watching - Nikita, Zemgus, Tyler. Zadorov's hit was unbelievable, and it was clean. The first thing I thought after it happened - "This pleases Nikita" - lolol!!!!

As I said, disappointing the team collapsed in the 3rd, but the Sabres were decimated by illness and injury. and it's a tough road venue - Detroit fans had their house rocking! Proud hockey town, but deservedly so. And the Wings played pretty clean, I thought - a quality organization.

Realistically, a team isn't going to win getting out shot by a nearly 3 to 1 ratio. That was brutal.

And I even got a Mike Babcock Christmas ornament out of the deal - LOL

Edited by Jsixspd

Dekeyzer pretty common family name over here :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOh9sficG7k

Don't see much wrong with this hit.

The big hit looked fine, although a replay would make sure. Big Z is really lucky #21 didn't go down into the boards when he crosschecked him at 0:11, that probably would have been a suspension.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.