Random Hockey Trivia

shrader

Taro Tsujimoto was selected in the 1974 NHL Amateur Draft... what round was he selected?

Bonus question: There have been three "invalid claims" in the NHL drafts over the years.  Two of them belong to the Buffalo Sabres.  The first was Taro Tsujimoto in '74.  Attempted in the 9th round of the 1984 NHL Entry Draft, who was the Sabres' other invalid claim?

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Taro Tsujimoto was selected in the 1974 NHL Amateur Draft... what round was he selected?

Bonus question: There have been three "invalid claims" in the NHL drafts over the years. Two of them belong to the Buffalo Sabres. The first was Taro Tsujimoto in '74. Attempted in the 9th round of the 1984 NHL Entry Draft, who was the Sabres' other invalid claim?

I don't know how to do spoilers. I pm'd you the answer. Edited by Neo

I don't know how to do spoilers. I pm'd you the answer.

Incorrect.  But looking up the history of who your guess was, that was a damn good guess.

Answers:

Taro Tsujimoto was taken in the 11th round of the 1974 NHL Amateur Draft.

The other invalid claim by the Sabres was Eric Weinrich in the 1984 NHL Entry Draft.  He was ruled ineligible to be drafted after the draft because he wasn't old enough by the cutoff date.  He would be drafted the next year, in 1985, at 32nd overall by the Devils.  Instead of drafting him with their first two picks in 1985, the Sabres instead chose to draft Calle Johansson and Benoit Hogue.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

For the record, you can create a spoiler simply by bookending the spoiled text as follows (remove the two *'s):

[*spoiler]SPOILED TEXT[/*spoiler]

Here's how you'd do it for real (Click 'Reply' to my post to see exact text, but it's just removing the two *'s from the line of text above):

SPOILED TEXT

• 5 years later...
1 hour ago, Eleven said:

The answer is Craig Ramsay.  He played in all of the Sabres' 78 games in 1973-74, with 0 PIM.

Next up:  What team holds the record for most consecutive playoff *series* wins?

That full season penalty free is even more impressive than just that.  Nobody else going back to at least '60-'61 has gone a full season without a single penalty. (Didn't look at lockout / strike years, so maybe somebody did in a shortened season but didn't look at those.)

Goring came closest also going 78 games without a penalty but in an 80 game season.  And Jimmy Peters did 77 games in a 78 game year. 

Val Fonteyne (who?) might've been the most impressive in that regard.  Played 820 games from '59-'60 - '71-'72 taking only 26 PIMs.  Had 2 or 4 PIM his 1st 5 years, topped out w/ 6 PIM in '64-'65. Then only took 2 more minors the rest of the way (436 games).

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Is it the Islanders with 19?
I hear that in the playoffs from the CBC guys.

Indeed it is!

34 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Goring came closest also going 78 games without a penalty but in an 80 game season.  And Jimmy Peters did 77 games in a 78 game year

No sympathy.  If the league won’t give Mogilny his 50 in 50, screw these guys.  Especially Goring.

30 minutes ago, Eleven said:

What are the only two states without an Arby’s?  Sponsored by Arby’s, a proud supporter of the USNDP.

I need to know the answer to this, so I know where to move.

But perhaps Alaska and Hawaii? 🙂

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Indeed it is!

No sympathy.  If the league won’t give Mogilny his 50 in 50, screw these guys.  Especially Goring.

Who was suggesting sympathy for them?  Those guys are pretty much the entire list of players (at least since 1960) that had 70+ games played without taking a single penalty the entire year.  And since the Sabres entered the league, one can count on a single hand the number of additional guys that stayed penalty free playing at least 40 games. 

Edited by Taro T

28 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Who was suggesting sympathy for them.  Those guys are pretty much the entire list of players (at least sincev1960) that had 70+ games played without taking a single penalty the entire year.  And since the Sabres entered the league, one can count on a single hand the number of guys that stayed penalty free playing at least 40 games. 

Oh, I know you weren't suggesting sympathy.  I'm just exclaiming NONE.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

What are the only two states without an Arby’s?  Sponsored by Arby’s, a proud supporter of the USNDP.

I recently walked out of an Arby’s in Watkins Glen and saw a sticker by the door that said something like, “We hope you enjoyed your trip to the top of the food chain.” It made me giggle to myself  

I really dug the smokehouse brisket. And their curly fries are the best fast food fries in the country. 

Anyway, I’m going with North & South Dakota for no good reason at all.  

34 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I recently walked out of an Arby’s in Watkins Glen and saw a sticker by the door that said something like, “We hope you enjoyed your trip to the top of the food chain.” It made me giggle to myself  

I really dug the smokehouse brisket. And their curly fries are the best fast food fries in the country. 

Anyway, I’m going with North & South Dakota for no good reason at all.  

No to SD.  There's at least 3 in Rapid City alone.

And it isn't Louisiana.  The Hammond store still seems to be open, though it may still be the only one in that state.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.