GDT Buffalo at Minnesota, 8PM EST MSG B Radio 930

Brawndo

As I rewatch the game it is clear that we have only one good forward line (Moulson - Girgs - Ennis) and one good defensive pair (Risto - Zadorov). Risto and Zadorov are the real deal. Beyond Myers, our other three defensemen are just bad. Benoit and Weber got owned on the first two goals. At least we can have two reasonable pairs when Gorges gets back.

Our bottom two lines are useless offensively ...then there is Hodgson who is clearly in Nolan's dog house. If we had a good center to take his place I think would could have another okay line with Stewart and Stafford.

I came to that realization about the 4th game of the season. Too slow

I dropped a ton of anti-Hodgson posts in last year's GDTs. He is, an always will be, a terrible defensive player due to laziness and poor positioning. He has hands, but there is too much else wrong with his game for me to want him on my team.

It was either the 1st or 2nd Minnesota goal - Hodgson was just sauntering along behind the Minnesota rush on our goal. He's got no guts and is lazy. A soft player who belongs either with Regier or Ruff's team.

Q: - what do the Titanic and the Sabres have in common?

A: - Both sit at the bottom of the Atlantic. ;)

Are they done hogging up all of the server space on the Bills forum? Because I've been waiting hours to post this:

Pull the goalie!

I dropped a ton of anti-Hodgson posts in last year's GDTs. He is, an always will be, a terrible defensive player due to laziness and poor positioning. He has hands, but there is too much else wrong with his game for me to want him on my team.

No way, man. No one has been trashing Hodgson for that long, or pretty much since he's been here...not a soul.

As I rewatch the game it is clear that we have only one good forward line (Moulson - Girgs - Ennis) and one good defensive pair (Risto - Zadorov). Risto and Zadorov are the real deal. Beyond Myers, our other three defensemen are just bad. Benoit and Weber got owned on the first two goals. At least we can have two reasonable pairs when Gorges gets back.

Our bottom two lines are useless offensively ...then there is Hodgson who is clearly in Nolan's dog house. If we had a good center to take his place I think would could have another okay line with Stewart and Stafford.

You rewatched that? One time was not enough

Atleast we scored 3 goals :D

That just about guarantees the next two times they played they will get shut out.

You know, I took a lot of heat on these forums last season for, early on, deeming Hodgson as Pominville Ver 2.0 - a creampuff who unfortunately doesn't have Pominville's scoring or hockey skills. Same softness - less output and production.

Do I deserve an apology? ;)

Enroth goes down way too early on a breakway.

Nice goal. Right between the legs.

Mind + Gutter = little kid laughing

You know, I took a lot of heat on these forums last season for, early on, deeming Hodgson as Pominville Ver 2.0 - a creampuff who unfortunately doesn't have Pominville's scoring or hockey skills. Same softness - less output and production.

Considering Jason Pominville is one of the better 2way forwards in the game, no you do not get an apology.

Edited by LGR4GM

Considering Jason Pominville is one of the better 2way forwards in the game, no you do not get an apology.

I also don't think anyone was arguing Cody's toughness. It was more is his poor defensive play due to laziness or poor D zone awareness. I'll argue the latter all day. He hustles back he just has no idea where to be.

I also don't think anyone was arguing Cody's toughness. It was more is his poor defensive play due to laziness or poor D zone awareness. I'll argue the latter all day. He hustles back he just has no idea where to be.

Agreed and I don't think that was ever the case with Jason. He was always working and always in position. Cody is just clueless.

No.

next question.

No way, man. No one has been trashing Hodgson for that long, or pretty much since he's been here...not a soul.

There was an article last year written by one of the "advanced" stats guys who showed (according to his stats) that Hodgson was one of the worst defensive forward in the entire NHL last year. One or two folks around here were riding that train, but we got derailed by the masses who were enamored with Hodgson's scoring ability.

Not the article, but entertaining: http://vansunsportsb...bad-at-defence/

Some observations from last night.

Ted Nolan has given up on Benoit, Meszaros, and Weber. He's not as dumb as we think. In the first period he started Benoit with Myers. Almost immediately (after Benoit made some dumb plays) he moved Strachan with Myers. From then on the top two pairings were hitting the ice the majority of the time. As the game went on, in the limited time that Benoit and Weber were allowed on the ice (Except PK/PP) it seemed he had them paired with either Myers or Ristolainen.

There's little doubt that right now Zadarov is going to stay with the Sabres. He was +3 last night. He and Ristolainen are solid out there. Having a Myers/Gorges pairing when he's back will help. While it would be awesome if the Sabres called up Pysyk to play with Strachan they won't do it yet because they did sign Benoit and Meszaros. They'll still play, as frustrating as it will be.

Nolan also seemed to be doing something truly different and strange. So, he might be as dumb as we think (yea, I AM contradicting myself here). I noticed that he would have his 1 pseudo-forechecker make a swing through the offensive zone and then that guy would bee line back into the Sabres zone (going even deeper than the D). Dunleavy commented on it in the third when Kaleta did it. He mentioned that it looked like he had the guy doing that in anticipation of a shoot in. So that guy is back there to get the puck quickly before the opposition can establish the forecheck? Didn't seem to work but I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like that. He basically has said, we can't stop them coming up the ice so let's let try and stand them up at the blue line with 4 players and have the forward back to quickly take the puck and turn it back up ice. Pairing this with their constant attempts to stretch the ice with long passes out of the zone it makes for an intriguing strategy. I'm not saying it will work, I don't think it will, but it is intriguing.

And the Sabres still have no clue how to cover their own zone. They continually are covering the same ice as a teammate. That's all about coaching and not clearly establishing where guys should be on the ice. They are still confused at times.

And the Sabres still have no clue how to cover their own zone. They continually are covering the same ice as a teammate. That's all about coaching and not clearly establishing where guys should be on the ice. They are still confused at times.

Paul Hamilton has said that Nolan repeatly shows the players in practice where they should be, but then in games they panic and don't go where they were told to go. Some players are not disciplined enough to stick to the plan.

Paul Hamilton has said that Nolan repeatly shows the players in practice where they should be, but then in games they panic and don't go where they were told to go. Some players are not disciplined enough to stick to the plan.

Now I really wonder how bad it can be.

What I said at that time - after observing Hodgson for a number games - was that Captain Creampuff and Hodgson shared softness in common. Hodgson possessed far less shooting/scoring ability than Pominville.

It was like we went out and replaced a soft Pominville with a even softer, far less skilled version of him - hence my term - Pominville Ver 2.0. There is nothing ABOUT Hodgson that's as good as Pominville.

That's what I said way back when. And it's still true today. "CoHo" is awful, and I don't see it changing.

I like how everyone is trying to claim presence on the ineffectiveness of Cody Hodgson.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

Good thing Darcy gutted the team of veteran centers and entrusted the top line center spot to an unproven player with little-to-no defensive ability. CoHo was a -3 tonight and statistically is the most scored on center in the NHL.

Good day, eh.

(there are a few posts criticizing CoHo, but you are right that the majority of posters have historically defended him)

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

Good thing Darcy gutted the team of veteran centers and entrusted the top line center spot to an unproven player with little-to-no defensive ability. CoHo was a -3 tonight and statistically is the most scored on center in the NHL.

Good day, eh.

(there are a few posts criticizing CoHo, but you are right that the majority of posters have historically defended him)

This is just fabrication. Almost every poster I know has skewered the kid left and right. Maybe a handful of posters have defended him but they aren't any more.

A couple of streaks were broken last night:

1. We scored a first period goal for the first time in 14 games

2. We finally got a goal from a defensman having gone the entire season without one up until Risto's goal in the 1st

This is just fabrication. Almost every poster I know has skewered the kid left and right. Maybe a handful of posters have defended him but they aren't any more.

Since I'm "working from home" today (aka blatantly wasting time) I did a search. There are a ton of "CoHo is the least of our problems" posts over the past couple of years. In general, I think fans overvalue offensive numbers and overlook defensive play for forwards. Last year CoHo was scoring, so most gave him a pass.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.