Centers - What the Sabres think all Wingers can play

LGR4GM

Buffalo Sabres

Stafford shifts to center. He says it's been a while but he's played it before. "I'll do my best. We'll see how it goes." #Sabres

This deserves a thread because I don't understand. Why are we taking wingers and moving them to center? We have been doing this stupidity for years. Ennis, Stafford, GERBE, Hecht, Foligno.... the ###### list goes on and on... WHY? Why the actual f### do we keep doing this?

Buffalo Sabres

Stafford shifts to center. He says it's been a while but he's played it before. "I'll do my best. We'll see how it goes." #Sabres

This deserves a thread because I don't understand. Why are we taking wingers and moving them to center? We have been doing this stupidity for years. Ennis, Stafford, GERBE, Hecht, Foligno.... the ###### list goes on and on... WHY? Why the actual f### do we keep doing this?

This was Darcy's grand ###### up. The single biggest reason why this team got terrible was he systematically rid it of centers over a 6 or 7 year span. Right now, we have only Girgs and McCormick who belong in the middle. And, those two might best be thought of as 3rd and 4th line centers. Ennis and CoHo are non-physical and lousy defensively - both would be better off on the wing. IMHO, a big center (over 200 lbs.) who can score is probably the single biggest piece missing from this team. Girgs can get there, but we need another. Stafford has the size and some offensive ability, so I guess he is next up.

BTW - if Grigorenko shows well in Rochester, there is a spot in Buffalo just screaming his name (big center who can win faceoffs and score)

What Potato said. Liger: Hecht was ok as a defensive-minded center.

Hecht... we have 1 mediocre winger who played center and was mediocre in the history of post Drury/Briere. You would think with Ruff and Regier gone that we wouldn't be suffering through the same stupidity AGAIN. And for the record I am not in favor of moving Grigorenko up to the Buffalo but the fact that we have Drew "I had a 1 30goal season so I am actually good, right?" Stafford at center now makes me want to eat pizza logs til I vomit out my belly button.

Here is a video of how this decision came about... and no I don't give a rat fart in a hurricane if already posted a youtube video.

Maybe he'll play well at the pivot and boost his trade value. Other than that I've got nothing. This team has been painfully short of legitimate centers since 7/1/07 but within the next 1-2 years we'll finally be able to turn the tide and have 4 legitimate centers playing center and a couple of guys capable of playing center on the wings.

Ideally Eichel, Grigorenko, Reinhart, and McCormick will be our 4 centers and guys like Ennis and Hodgson will shift to wing or be moved. Girgensons seems like he can play anywhere but I'd love to put him on Reinhart's wing once he is ready to move up to the big club. I'd like to see Reinhart play with Rochester next year and develop until he shows he's too good to play in the AHL and let Girgensons center the 3rd line in the meantime. Eichel plays top line from the start and Grigorenko and Armia get the more sheltered minutes with the second line.

Edited by Drunkard

Man this b#ll$#!t sandwhich the Sabres fed me for lunch sure was tasty.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-tyler-ennis-switched-to-wing-patrick-kaleta-has-green-light-to-return/

"Nolan made one other surprising move today, putting Drew Stafford, a winger his entire career, at center between Nick Deslauriers, Cody Hodgson and Patrick Kaleta, who could play Tuesday. Stafford visited Nolan’s office recently and asked about trying something new.

“He sees the position, he sees an opportunity,” Nolan said. “So we discussed it.” Nolan wouldn’t say if Stafford will play center Tuesday in St. Louis."

Ideally Eichel, Grigorenko, Reinhart, and McCormick will be our 4 centers and guys like Ennis and Hodgson will shift to wing or be moved.

If we're saying "ideally" (while still being realistic) it's McDavid, Grigorenko, Reinhart and somebody not named McCormick (Larsson?)

I saw Hamilton posting that the centers at practice today were: Girgensons, Flynn, McCormick, and Stafford.

The tank just may have reached its nadir.

And just to drive home how pathetic this situation is: Flynn is now a second-line center for an NHL team.

Holy shla-moley.

If we're saying "ideally" (while still being realistic) it's McDavid, Grigorenko, Reinhart and somebody not named McCormick (Larsson?)

I guess I should've said realistically rather than ideally. And for now, I'd prefer McCormick at center over Larsson. His ability to score all but completely disappears when he's up with the big club so I'd prefer him on the wing with less defensive responsibility so he can hopefully get his offense going.

Maybe he'll play well at the pivot and boost his trade value. Other than that I've got nothing. This team has been painfully short of legitimate centers since 7/1/07 but within the next 1-2 years we'll finally be able to turn the tide and have 4 legitimate centers playing center and a couple of guys capable of playing center on the wings.

Ideally Eichel, Grigorenko, Reinhart, and McCormick will be our 4 centers and guys like Ennis and Hodgson will shift to wing or be moved. Girgensons seems like he can play anywhere but I'd love to put him on Reinhart's wing once he is ready to move up to the big club. I'd like to see Reinhart play with Rochester next year and develop until he shows he's too good to play in the AHL and let Girgensons center the 3rd line in the meantime. Eichel plays top line from the start and Grigorenko and Armia get the more sheltered minutes with the second line.

I'd prefer Eichel & Grigorenko as top 2 C's w/ Girgensons centering the shutdown line which ideally is a 3rd scoring line like Drury's was and the Larsson is centering the 4th line.

Keep Reinhart in Ra-cha-cha next year, then put him at wing on a top 2 line learning the NHL game and adding some size to his frame. If no moves were made (highly unlikely) that would give them 4 true C's and 4 guys that can fill in for injuries w/out missing much of a beat though there is no other true #3 center around - Reinhart, Ennis, Hodgson, & McCormick. If Larsson could fill in at 3C and the other 3 C's not currently toiling through this hound's breakfast come close to projections, the flexibility is extremely impressive in 2 years.

Well this is what happens when you ignore the position for years. It wasn't until 2012 Darcy went to address this when he drafted grigs and girgs. However it's only been two years and only one is ready so it takes time.

Let's hope next year it is Samson, grigs, Girgensons, and Larsson

Edited by Numark

I'd prefer Eichel & Grigorenko as top 2 C's w/ Girgensons centering the shutdown line which ideally is a 3rd scoring line like Drury's was and the Larsson is centering the 4th line.

Keep Reinhart in Ra-cha-cha next year, then put him at wing on a top 2 line learning the NHL game and adding some size to his frame. If no moves were made (highly unlikely) that would give them 4 true C's and 4 guys that can fill in for injuries w/out missing much of a beat though there is no other true #3 center around - Reinhart, Ennis, Hodgson, & McCormick. If Larsson could fill in at 3C and the other 3 C's not currently toiling through this hound's breakfast come close to projections, the flexibility is extremely impressive in 2 years.

I agree with all of this other than preferring McCormick at center until Larsson can find some form of offensive games at the NHL level. Eichel would be our stud and instantly become our best player and top line center. Grigorenko gets the more sheltered minutes on scoring line 2 and Girgensons gets the the tougher defensive assignments ala Drury while Reinhart develops in the AHL. Once Reinhart is ready we'd finally have the problem of more legitimate centers than spots so we can either put Reinhart on the wing in the top 6, or pair him with Girgensons since he's supposed to be pretty responsible defensively. It'll be a nice problem to finally have but I'd lean towards putting Reinhart at center and Girgensons on his wing since I think Girgensons is capable of playing just fine along the boards at wing.

Edited by Drunkard

These are basically my thoughts as well. There are some exceptions, but by-and-large the best teams have two or three centers with size who can score (and are not a liability on the defensive end). Both Eichel and McDavid are 6'1 190ish with room to grow. That'll work. And, of course, Grigo and Girgs both have good size. Eichel/McDavid, Grigroenko, Girgensons as a top-3 starts moving this team in the right direction.

Reinhart is to Wing as Stafford is to Center.

Come one, who passed their SAT's? Come on, we call all get their. I believe in each and every one of you.

:lol: You appear to have had difficulty w/ them. What part of playing him at wing his 1st year in the NHL while he hopefully gets used to the NHL speed and he bulks up to NHL strength eluded you? (And, no, that Q is not the reason for the :lol:.)

Did you see the thread where they're saying he might be McDavid's winger at the WJC's?

Once he's physically ready to be an NHL center on an every day basis, you've got a nice problem to have. Till then, don't force it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.