Centers - What the Sabres think all Wingers can play

LGR4GM

This was Darcy's grand ###### up. The single biggest reason why this team got terrible was he systematically rid it of centers over a 6 or 7 year span. Right now, we have only Girgs and McCormick who belong in the middle. And, those two might best be thought of as 3rd and 4th line centers. Ennis and CoHo are non-physical and lousy defensively - both would be better off on the wing. IMHO, a big center (over 200 lbs.) who can score is probably the single biggest piece missing from this team. Girgs can get there, but we need another. Stafford has the size and some offensive ability, so I guess he is next up.

BTW - if Grigorenko shows well in Rochester, there is a spot in Buffalo just screaming his name (big center who can win faceoffs and score)

Oh. no there is not. Wouldn't it be nice if the Sabres actually went ahead and tried to develop this guy? They rushed him to the NHL right after they drafted him using the "ZOMG! We need a center!!!1!" logic. A full year in the AHL will do him good. Plus, I don't really trust Nolan to give him a lot of minutes anyway.

The Sabres have a lot of problems and rushing prospects isn't the answer.

:lol: You appear to have had difficulty w/ them. What part of playing him at wing his 1st year in the NHL while he hopefully gets used to the NHL speed and he bulks up to NHL strength eluded you? (And, no, that Q is not the reason for the :lol:.)

Did you see the thread where they're saying he might be McDavid's winger at the WJC's?

Once he's physically ready to be an NHL center on an every day basis, you've got a nice problem to have. Till then, don't force it.

I can use emoji's too! :w00t:

We need to stop having player circle jerks where a guy plays center 1 year and wing the next and everything in between. If he is as smart as advertised he should be able to be a center and physically he would take more a beating digging pucks out of the corners as a winger so go drink your kool-aid and sit in the corner. Next time the German's bomb Pearl Harbor you can come out.

We need to stop having player circle jerks where a guy plays center 1 year and wing the next and everything in between. If he is as smart as advertised he should be able to be a center and physically he would take more a beating digging pucks out of the corners as a winger so go drink your kool-aid and sit in the corner. Next time the German's bomb Pearl Harbor you can come out.

All centers can play wing. Not all wings can play center. And the SAT isn't a pass/fail exam. You're given a number score for colleges to judge.

We need to stop having player circle jerks where a guy plays center 1 year and wing the next and everything in between.

We need to stop sucking first.

If he is as smart as advertised he should be able to be a center and physically he would take more a beating digging pucks out of the corners as a winger so go drink your kool-aid and sit in the corner. Next time the German's bomb Pearl Harbor you can come out.

He should be able to? You're verging into PA(ngloss) territory -- speaking to how the world should be, based on ideal and principle.

Let's deal with the world as it is, and as it presents itself. If he needs a little time (a season or more) on the wing to bring his game along, then so be it. The idea of Reinhart on a wing gets a whatever from me with a big, fat capital W. I just want him to grow and demonstrate that he's a top-6 forward.

We need to stop sucking first.

He should be able to? You're verging into PA(ngloss) territory -- speaking to how the world should be, based on ideal and principle.

Let's deal with the world as it is, and as it presents itself. If he needs a little time (a season or more) on the wing to bring his game along, then so be it. The idea of Reinhart on a wing gets a whatever from me with a big, fat capital W. I just want him to grow and demonstrate that he's a top-6 forward.

Or, based on the fact he was a highly touted second-overall pick center.

So it must follow!

It must!

In this case I am with PA here. We desperately need centers. It isn't a want, at this point is is a must have. To that end drafting a kid who is touted as a highly intelligent center coming out of juniors and now we want him to play wing (well some on this board) I say ##### that ######## idea right in the ############ ####### ##########. Reinhart's skills say he is a center so none of this learn the wing crap. If he is smart he should be fine learning playing center.

By the way Reinhart will be fine. Stafford at center on the other hand is a cluster####

In this case I am with PA here. We desperately need centers. It isn't a want, at this point is is a must have. To that end drafting a kid who is touted as a highly intelligent center coming out of juniors and now we want him to play wing (well some on this board) I say ##### that ######## idea right in the ############ ####### ##########. Reinhart's skills say he is a center so none of this learn the wing crap. If he is smart he should be fine learning playing center.

By the way Reinhart will be fine. Stafford at center on the other hand is a cluster####

CENTERS DON'T HAVE TO LEARN THE WING. Wing has fewer responsibilities. The idea behind this is let Eichel, Grigorenko, and Girgensons play center with Reinhart on the wing at first. Why is this causing a Liger meltdown?

CENTERS DON'T HAVE TO LEARN THE WING. Wing has fewer responsibilities. The idea behind this is let Eichel, Grigorenko, and Girgensons play center with Reinhart on the wing at first. Why is this causing a Liger meltdown?

The Reinhart part I can get; not too many players exemplify being a center more so than Samson. Having him play wing for any extended period of time would be foolish. He's our future number 2 center, and McEichel is our future number 1. If anything, throw Grigs on the wing and let him take faceoffs.

The Stafford part, I don't. Who gives a ###### about Drew Stafford playing 2nd line center on the worst NHL team in decades. It really can't hurt at all, and if Stafford wants to give it a shot, let him do it.

Edited by WildCard

The Reinhart part I can get; not too many players exemplify being a center more so than Samson. Having him play wing for any extended period of time would be foolish. H'e our future number 2 center, and McEichel is our future number 1. If anything, throw Grigs on the wing and let him take faceoffs.

The Stafford part, I don't. Who gives a ###### about Drew Stafford playing 2nd line center on the worst NHL team in decades. It really can't hurt at all, and if Stafford wants to give it a shot, let him do it.

4th line actually. I wasn't kidding upthread; Flynn is going to center the second line. Or at least he did at practice today.

4th line actually. I wasn't kidding upthread; Flynn is going to center the second line. Or at least he did at practice today.

This and Stafford is what is actually causing my anger. My brain saw this and literally said WHAT THE ###############################################################

Missed that :doh:

And just to drive home how pathetic this situation is: Flynn is now a second-line center for an NHL team.

Nothing can capture how terrible a team we have better than this. Unless Ellis came up for 1st line duties.

This and Stafford is what is actually causing my anger. My brain saw this and literally said WHAT THE ###############################################################tankforever

Edited by WildCard

I'm not saying forever. I'm saying if it's what the organ-eye-zation wants to do to facilitate his development and shelter him a bit, then, whatever.

Holy crap. I may have felt it move a little when I imagined McEichel 1C, Grigorenko 2C, and Girgensons 3C, with Reinhart playing a top-6 wing position.

The Reinhart part I can get; not too many players exemplify being a center more so than Samson. Having him play wing for any extended period of time would be foolish. He's our future number 2 center, and McEichel is our future number 1. If anything, throw Grigs on the wing and let him take faceoffs.

And I think I'm good with Grigorenko playing that part as well -- moving to the wing. I think there's an alpha dog aspect to who's moving to wing. There was once some all-time, all-star, first-line selections announced by someone on the Twitter, and some passing joke was made about how as among Crosby-Lemieux-Gretzky on the first line "someone's going to have to play the wing, fellas."

This and Stafford is what is actually causing my anger. My brain saw this and literally said WHAT THE ###############################################################

Well if you're angry at Stafford then just say so. Let me help:

GOD DAMMIT DREW STAFFORD IS THE WORST JOKE OF A HOCKEY PLAYER THE HOCKEY GODS EVER SCOFFED AT. DUDE CAN'T ###### SCORE TO SAVE HIS ###### SUCKING ###### ###### CAREER FROM ###### ###### IDIOT ###### STUPID DOUCHE.

He's a good guy, though.

Edited by qwksndmonster

I like High Liger.

PA, now THAT is funny. :w00t:

(Probably pretty darn close to the mark, too. ;))

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.