GDT: Pittsburgh at Buffalo, 7 p.m., 11/8/14

Hoss

50% of marraiges end in divorce. Do you really think you found someone so special out of 5 billion people? There are probably 300,000 better choices for you worldwide.

So now what am I supposed to do then? Start looking again?

If Terry wants to go down as one of the great owners — an Ilitch, a Rooney, a Kraft — and I think he does, I hope he doesn't have this attitude. I'm afraid he does. I mean, he's already kind of hinted at precisely your theory. That winning is a crapshoot, something that happens to the lucky, not something that you make happen, then look lucky.

Winning isn't a crapshoot. Heck Buffalo has had mostly winning seasons. But winning it all is a total crapshoot..

To maximize the odds of winning it all, the best way to do that is to get the best player. Get a Gretzky, or Crosby, a Kane.

The best way to maximize the odds of getting one of those players, the best way to do that is to blow up the ship and draft him.

You might not agree with the method. Hell it sucks. But there is an undeniable logic to it.

. The 1/30 thing is BS and a losers lament.

No lament. (are you kidding?) I just read the X-rays. You of all people seem to know the odds. Odds are against. I don't care what team you are. Unless you are prepared to talk out of both sides of your mouth.

Edited by X. Benedict

Pretty good blog by Garth: http://www.hockeybuz...rtunity/6/63816

Spelling errors and grammatical indiscretions aside that was a good article. I saw what he did in the 3rd against Pitt and it was refreshing. As long as I see progression and steps taken by the future of this team I'm happy. To expect more this season is folly. The way some of the vets have played this season leaves Nolan no real options but to lean on the kids.

And yet none of those franchise 'tanked' on purpose for a pick

Chicago was bad because of cheap ownership, and their resurgence also co-incided with the old owner kicking the bucket and his son taking over opening the wallet......

Pittsburgh was bad because the franchise was in bankruptcy and lucked into Crosby, they didn't throw seasons in order to get into a position to draft him, they were lucky enough to win a draw for him.....

Boston is where they are by not only drafting well but making good trades to bring talent in. Obtaining Chara, trading Kessel away for picks and lucking into one of them being a #2 overall pick that they could alter trade. It wasn't until they found Thomas that they became one of the top teams

LA is another team that made it to where they are by some good drafts and some great trades

What has Vancouver done to enter this? Again, some good drafting and trades to bring in talent.

So far all Buffalo has done is dump talent to obtain picks and a few prospects banking on winning the lottery this year to get a potential elite talent. So when they get McDavid, all of the sudden this is going to become the place to be for FA's?

Buffalo's plan for success is the equivalent to having a retirement plan of cashing in your current life savings on lotto tickets to the next huge powerball draw. Your broke and struggling now, but you have soooo many chances to become a huge millionaire it can't fail!

Uh no. Nice try though. Chicago was old and held on to its core too long. Tallon was brought in and realized he had nothing to trade with. Pittsburgh, pre cap, tried to be the yankees and bought every free agent on the market and had to pay Lemieux in stock. Whenthey all got old fast there was nothing left. And yes they tanked knowing that they didn't have to worry about a lottery. DFL meant no. 1. Boston sucked in order to get the picks and prospects to make the trades everyone is clamoring for. Again what did we have that anyone wanted? Zilch. Expiring ufa contracts were moved for assets. It sounds like you would have rather re-signed Vanek, Miller, and Pommers to market deals. Yeah another run to mediocrity! In order to trade or entice free agents you need assets. We will have them soon. The myth that there was another option is tiring and debunked by the fact that nobody is lining up for what's left. We couldn't give Stafford away to the Wild.

Sabres are rebuilding it takes time. Coming up with conspiracies and blame is just a way to entertain yourselves lol!

Agree 100%

Me too.

Feeling bad for the season ticket holders is like feeling bad for Jodi Foster on the pinball machine......

Dude -- this is way out of line.

Benefits of reselling their tickets again? If "it" works, the product should be so good no one will want to miss a game. Man, this whole situation is just rotten to the core.

What?

If Terry wants to go down as one of the great owners — an Ilitch, a Rooney, a Kraft — and I think he does, I hope he doesn't have this attitude. I'm afraid he does. I mean, he's already kind of hinted at precisely your theory. That winning is a crapshoot, something that happens to the lucky, not something that you make happen, then look lucky.

We tried the run at fas. Ott is a journeyman. Miller wasn't enough. Vanek was as good as gone. When you have nothing you have nothing to deal with. Saying PLF wanted to get good fast is not a plan.The reality is poor drafting and player development for the duration of DR's tenure left very few options but to start over.

I don't agree that this was the only way to go, but I definitely agree with the bolded part.

So if Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston, LA isn't the way to go give an example you would emulate. Ground rules first. No original 6. No NY market. After that we get a little thin. Vancouver? Oh yeah they drafted brothers after being atrocious.

Boston & LA don't belong in the same category with Chicago and Pittsburgh.

Winning isn't a crapshoot. Heck Buffalo has had mostly winning seasons. But winning it all is a total crapshoot..

To maximize the odds of winning it all, the best way to do that is to get the best player. Get a Gretzky, or Crosby, a Kane.

The best way to maximize the odds of getting one of those players, the best way to do that is to blow up the ship and draft him.

You might not agree with the method. Hell it sucks. But there is an undeniable logic to it.

No lament. (are you kidding?) I just read the X-rays. You of all people seem to know the odds. Odds are against. I don't care what team you are. Unless you are prepared to talk out of both sides of your mouth.

The odds of winning the Cup when 30 robots operate 30 teams is 1/30.

The odds of winning a cup in the next 10 years after Lenni from Of Mice and Men purchases the team...200-1.....

Uh no. Nice try though. Chicago was old and held on to its core too long. Tallon was brought in and realized he had nothing to trade with. Pittsburgh, pre cap, tried to be the yankees and bought every free agent on the market and had to pay Lemieux in stock. Whenthey all got old fast there was nothing left. And yes they tanked knowing that they didn't have to worry about a lottery. DFL meant no. 1. Boston sucked in order to get the picks and prospects to make the trades everyone is clamoring for. Again what did we have that anyone wanted? Zilch. Expiring ufa contracts were moved for assets. It sounds like you would have rather re-signed Vanek, Miller, and Pommers to market deals. Yeah another run to mediocrity! In order to trade or entice free agents you need assets. We will have them soon. The myth that there was another option is tiring and debunked by the fact that nobody is lining up for what's left. We couldn't give Stafford away to the Wild.

Say what now?

The odds of winning the Cup when 30 robots operate 30 teams is 1/30.

The odds of winning a cup in the next 10 years after Lenni from Of Mice and Men purchases the team...200-1.....

Why is that? The players they've drafted are no good? The GM stinks? The owner isn't prepared to spend on the free agents? They will never hire the right coach? Why exactly does Pegula reduce the odds in your handicapping universe? I think it is you with the losers mentality? I merely think winning the cup is unlikely, You are the one that thinks it is impossible.

Why is that? The players they've drafted are no good? The GM stinks? The owner isn't prepared to spend on the free agents? They will never hire the right coach? Why exactly does Pegula reduce the odds in your handicapping universe? I think it is you with the losers mentality? I merely think winning the cup is unlikely, You are the one that thinks it is impossible.

I obviously don't think winning the Cup is impossible since I took the Rangers 2 years ago at 5/2 for the next 3 years....

The culture on this team is rotten beyond repair. I actually thought Nolan could wake them up, but I should have known when LaFontaine walked that this was going to be a doozy. LaFontaine walked from Wang, who EVERYONE here makes fun of as the worst of the worst. So why should we not feel the same about Pet the Rabbit George when it happens the same way here?

And again, if you don't care about the Bills....I'd be scared as a hockey fan. Daddy has a new toy that cost him almost 8x as much.....

I obviously don't think winning the Cup is impossible since I took the Rangers 2 years ago at 5/2 for the next 3 years....

The culture on this team is rotten beyond repair. I actually thought Nolan could wake them up, but I should have known when LaFontaine walked that this was going to be a doozy. LaFontaine walked from Wang, who EVERYONE here makes fun of as the worst of the worst. So why should we not feel the same about Pet the Rabbit George when it happens the same way here?

And again, if you don't care about the Bills....I'd be scared as a hockey fan. Daddy has a new toy that cost him almost 8x

Beyond repair? Okay. It doesn't sound like this is ever going to get more interesting for you then.

That's sounds pretty impossible to me.

Beyond repair? Okay. It doesn't sound like this is ever going to get more interesting for you then.

That's sounds pretty impossible to me.

Here's an idea for Brad Riter and his tshirts....

#ONEBUFFALO ...... bringing you Love Canal, and the Sabres....

You can have a picture of a couple of barrels.....1 with a fan in a jersey bent over it, and another with Pegula shooting a bunch of fish wearing Sabres jerseys.....

Septic beyond repair. You could have cut the leg off at the knee 4 years ago.....

You can have a picture of a couple of barrels.....1 with a fan in a jersey bent over it, and another with Pegula shooting a bunch of fish wearing Sabres jerseys.....

Septic beyond repair. You could have cut the leg off at the knee 4 years ago.....

tumblr_mne4b8iEaw1rilxczo1_500.gif

You should really consider giving up the whole sports thing. There are other ways to be miserable, and something better might bring you joy.

This stuff is the spice of life, not the substance. And you are on a pretty good run of posting stuff that nobody wants to step in. I just hope you don't believe half of it. If you really believe it is septic beyond repair, close the door to the latrine and turn the title back to the bank.

In all compassion and with positive intention, it is something to consider.

Say what now?

There's pretty much mass confusion about how the Pens got Crosby.

You should really consider giving up the whole sports thing. There are other ways to be miserable, and something better might bring you joy.

This stuff is the spice of life, not the substance. And you are on a pretty good run of posting stuff that nobody wants to step in. I just hope you don't believe half of it. If you really believe it is septic beyond repair, close the door to the latrine and turn the title back to the bank.

The other extreme is being Caspar Milquetoast. Hey, it's 6:21, I ain't googling that name to see if I got it right. I think, against all odds, I did.

I think I turned the title in a while ago. The frustration lies in watching my family go to the foreclosure auction and buying the exact crappy house. Now I have my family bugging me to borrow money to pay for repairs.

You are right though. There is nothing productive going to happen for a while. I will check in when they trade Tyler Myers or Nolan finally has enough.

Not to speak for Ghost... The jury of course is out on the players, but some of them were drafted by the guy Terry retained who is almost universally distrusted by fans. And some of them were drafted by an untested, first-time GM. Was there a better GM out there than Murray? Sure. And I know you think there are better coaches than Ted Nolan. Future spending on free agents? We'll see. Terry said he knew he'd have to spend some money in the "short term" to get things turned around. He just dropped over a billion on the Bills. Ted Black talks about revenue sharing in the context of needing that money for some future owner, or in some future situation where Terry's money isn't around anymore. Who knows if Terry will still spend drunkenly when the team is good again, in 2028. So there's all that. I'll toss in my thesis that an oil and gas man is meddling in hockey affairs. Oh yeah, the team is also historically bad, not by franchise but league standards, three and a half years into this owner's reign. No one, no one, would have predicted that on Pegula Day.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.