Hasek jersey retirement, crazy German thinks about flying over

LaLaLaFontaine

I am really thinking about travelling to Buffalo for this game ( from Germany).

But what I would need first is a ticket. Can you give me tip/ hint were I can get one?

I am currently checking flights to Bufallo. I also think about coming for some more days of course, so some tips what you would propose atourist to do around Buffalo ( maybe Niagra Falls and the hockey hall of fame in Toronto)

Thanks for your answers

I think you'll find tickets easy to come by on Stubhub.com and/or Sabres.com.

As for what to do around here? The list is growing every week, it seems. I'm sure we'll have plenty of ideas for you as your trip approaches. This includes meeting up, too.

If you enjoy a winter atmosphere and are from a larger city, I'd recommend Ellicotville and the surrounding ski area just south of the city of Buffalo.

Niagara Falls has some nice evening light displays on the Falls in the winter, but you'd have to go to the Canadian side to truly enjoy them in full force.

While not exactly the best time to come to enjoy all Western New York has to offer, there are sleigh rides in certain areas both in the foothills in the southerntier as well as the farm land by both Lakes Erie and Ontario. Depending on snow of course. The real problem is it's the middle of Jan. Normally the coldest part of winter here in WNY with the snow belt either feeling it full force or already pasted with snow from the start of the lake effect snows. So it's definitely a winter situation, no colors on the trees from the season change and no early summer green with decent temps, before the humidity drops in.

As for just hanging around the city, well, obviously the Harbor Center, you have to go to Duff's for chicken wings. It's a must.

There is sledding to be done all around the area as well. I would highly recommend Letchworth State Park as well. While not nearly as pretty as the fall foliage change over, the winter in the park, especially the Water Falls, offer a unique winter appearance with the ice and snow forming around the falls in a beautiful pattern.

If you are coming, these are only some of the things you could do, and, depending on how long you are coming for, to take this trip from Germany, and come here for Hockey, you obviously are going to see a Sabres game, although, it is in the rebuild process so expectations from the team should be tampered, but, I highly recommend a drive over to Rochester to catch the Rochester Americans in a game, where the Sabres young talent is busy developing and honing their skills while building chemistry for the rebuild. It's only about a 1.5 hour drive over to Rochester from Buffalo, so it's not bad.

Hope this helps.

As a non-Buffalonian who has made the pilgrimage up to WNY a handful of times I can give you some of the touristy type stuff that you should experience even if the locals know better. The biggest rule with food is avoid any national type chains and stick to either Mom and Pop places or local chains.

For wings you have to go to both Anchor Bar since it's the original and you also have to go to Duffs. Most people say the wings are better at the Original Duff's location in Amherst but I prefer the one in Orchard park because the food seemed the same to me and the one in Orchard Park has tons of Bills and Sabres memorabilia on the wall, plenty of eye candy from the waitstaff, and a beat up but working Ice Chexx bubble hockey machine with Rick Jeannerett. I loved playing that damn thing so much after my first trip to Buffalo years ago that I bought the same model online and put it in my dining room here in NC.

For Pizza I like Warehouse Pizza on Milestrip road. It's owned by Duffs I think but I absolutely loved the pizza and the bar/waitstaff/patrons made it a pretty good atmosphere.

You've also got to go to a Wegman's grocery store and get one of their amazing subs. Get the biggest one they got and you can eat until your hearts content and still have some left over for a snack later on. Depending on the season you should also look for some sponge candy. I can't remember when it's big but I always hear about it when it's not in season and forget to get any when it is being sold. Still haven't tried it but one of these days I will.

If you wind up extremely hammered at a bar or bowling alley you've got to find a way to get to Mighty Taco and binge on some of that. You'll be extremely unimpressed with it if you're sober but it's absolutely delicious when you're 12 deep into a case of yellow corn water ice brewed cheap beer or Labatt's or whatever you've been drinking.

Ted Hot Dogs (there are a bunch of locations) and Louie's Texas Red Hots right near the Ralph are awesome and can be enjoyed drunk or sober.

In Rochester you have to go to Nick Tahou's for a garbage plate and Dinosaur BBQ. Both awesome in their own right in completely different ways.

When you go to the Falls don't be drunk and decide to hump the Indian statue in the park while declaring Manifest Destiny. They don't like it, even if it's absolutely hilarious in the drunken moment.

But what I would need first is a ticket. Can you give me tip/ hint were I can get one?

I am currently checking flights to Bufallo. I also think about coming for some more days of course, so some tips what you would propose atourist to do around Buffalo ( maybe Niagra Falls and the hockey hall of fame in Toronto)

Thanks for your answers

11's tip on tix is your best bet.

1 dining choice not mentioned yet is Schwabl's for a true Buffalo classic - the beef on 'weck. They had a fire and were closed for a while, but must be reopend by now.

I do believe there is a Dino BBQ in Buffalo now Drunkard. It is near to the arena http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/bbq-buffalo

That being said the Rochester one is great and right next where the Amerks play.

Good stuff, although it's still not a bad idea to hit up Rochester for a garbage plate. I've been to both locations but I thought the one in the crack alley part of town had the better plates though.

1 dining choice not mentioned yet is Schwabl's for a true Buffalo classic - the beef on 'weck. They had a fire and were closed for a while, but must be reopend by now.

they are indeed. the place was just featured in the local paper.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/west-seneca/schwabls-in-west-seneca-celebrates-its-restored-self-20141102

I hate to mention it since I'd like to get a table up there when I'm in town, but Bar Bill in EA was recently named the best place in the country to get wings. And the beef is great there too, so you get a twofer. http://www.thrillist...ants-in-america

but, yes: bar bill. i would recommend. a little bit out of the way, but so good.

I hate to mention it since I'd like to get a table up there when I'm in town, but Bar Bill in EA was recently named the best place in the country to get wings. And the beef is great there too, so you get a twofer.

http://www.thrillist...ants-in-america

Umm, that list is alphabetical, not ordered by rank.

Gabriel's Gate (also on that list, albeit under G and not B) is as good if not better, and doesn't require a drive to East Aurora.

Also, those pictures...those are not the Gate's wings.

Edited by Eleven

Thanks for your answers

If you come from Germany, i'll have a ticket for you at no charge.

Thanks for your answers

hah nice, been thinking of doing the same myself one day. Brussels - Toronto is pretty easy with 9W (jet airways).

Just don't feel like doing it this year, because If i do fly over i want to see a good game :P

I'd just fly to toronto mate, and rent a car from there :P

The advantage will be getting any sabres gear will be alot cheaper than over here.

If you come from Germany, i'll have a ticket for you at no charge.

:clapping:

Edited by Heimdall

Umm, that list is alphabetical, not ordered by rank.

Gabriel's Gate (also on that list, albeit under G and not B) is as good if not better, and doesn't require a drive to East Aurora.

Also, those pictures...those are not the Gate's wings.

I do believe GG is the "#2 in the 1-2 punch" according to the article. :) I haven't made the drive to Buffalo to try them, so I'll have to keep wondering. And Mea Culpa on the ordering...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.