Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

There are many that believe TM was responsible for the Ducks selecting Getzlaf and Perry, I believe he will find some great players with the later first rounders

I've read and heard 2003 referenced in relation to this draft since before last year's draft. That's why the hand-wringing about the Sabre's current success is slightly confusing. The expression "you can't have your cake and eat it, too" comes to mind.

Just as important as a skilled player or two is a winning culture. Or is the latter more important? Hard to say. Chicago has both. I would say LA has the culture (more than the players), while Pittsburgh has the players (more than the culture).

If the culture develops before the team can acquire the "ideal" players, do you strip it down again? Do wreck that growth in favor of the players? That's a tough call. Surely, Murray is wrestling with this conundrum.

How about TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button?

http://sports.nation...-for-nhl-teams/

Let's hope he's right. 2003 was special because the entire first round had stars and franchise players. If that's the case, we're in great shape. If it's not, and we're looking at just an incredible top 5, we're probably missing out on the special players.

Let's hope he's right. 2003 was special because the entire first round had stars and franchise players. If that's the case, we're in great shape. If it's not, and we're looking at just an incredible top 5, we're probably missing out on the special players.

Zemgus was pretty special at #14 in a ho-hum draft. I'm not too worried.

In the real life standings the Sabres have moved to sixth to last. Not even looking at a better than normal prospect at this point. Good group of guys but after the first 3/4 it's just guys you hope turn into stars but likely turn into 2nd/3rd liners... Ugh.

Like Zadorov and Ristolainen. Or Girgenson. If this is a deep draft, having three first rounders may let the Sabres have their cake and eat it too. Only time will tell. But GMTM seems like he knows what he is doing.

Edited by Dave Dryden

The other thing to consider is that in a deep draft, everyone improves and the opportunity to close the talent gap with the top teams decreases. Getting the very best players in such a year becomes that much more important imho.

I've read and heard 2003 referenced in relation to this draft since before last year's draft. That's why the hand-wringing about the Sabre's current success is slightly confusing. The exp<b></b>ression "you can't have your cake and eat it, too" comes to mind.

Just as important as a skilled player or two is a winning culture. Or is the latter more important? Hard to say. Chicago has both. I would say LA has the culture (more than the players), while Pittsburgh has the players (more than the culture).

If the culture develops before the team can acquire the "ideal" players, do you strip it down again? Do wreck that growth in favor of the players? That's a tough call. Surely, Murray is wrestling with this conundrum.

Great post

The popular opinion is TN is responsible for the current winning culture. Why can't he do it again with better players?

Doesn't play well with others.

So is the opposite of the gambler's fallacy any less, uh, fallacious? The Sabres aren't "due" for a loss any more than they were "due" to start winning after October/early November. Maybe they are what they are: an eventual 70-point team. 27th last season, by the way.

It's the Panthers. They've been universally dominated in possession stats. The Panthers are improved but still not great.

The Panthers are actually right in the middle of the pack (15th to be exact), so I'm not sure where you're getting this from.

Everyone has to calm down. We were at home against a Florida team on the second night of a back to back and we barely lost. We're still less than half the season in. Everything is going to be okay.

The Panthers are actually right in the middle of the pack (15th to be exact), so I'm not sure where you're getting this from.

Everyone has to calm down. We were at home against a Florida team on the second night of a back to back and we barely lost. We're still less than half the season in. Everything is going to be okay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfAeMtcURg0

Doesn't play well with others.

So is the opposite of the gambler's fallacy any less, uh, fallacious? The Sabres aren't "due" for a loss any more than they were "due" to start winning after October/early November. Maybe they are what they are: an eventual 70-point team. 27th last season, by the way.

Our top two scorers are 68th and 115th in the league respectively. To answer in another gamblers analogy, you play loose to get action, but bluff too often and you will get called. Shut down the gem line and how is this team going to score? After the calendar flips we will see fewer backup goalies. I don't believe Foligno or Gionta's goals get past Luongo. This is verbose way of saying they are not a 70 point team imho.

Current standings through games played 12/14.

Team ----- GP - L - W - OT - PTS

Edmonton 31 19 7 5 43

Carolina 29 18 8 3 39

Arizona 30 16 10 4 36

Buffalo 30 16 12 2 34

Columbus 29 15 12 2 32

Colorado 30 13 10 7 33

Winnipeg 31 10 15 6 26

Florida 28 8 12 8 24

Buffalo only team in action tonight. They're playing their makeup game against the Rags tonight against the Otters. :wacko:

Current standings through games played 12/14.

Team ----- GP - L - W - OT - PTS

Edmonton 31 19 7 5 43

Carolina 29 18 8 3 39

Arizona 30 16 10 4 36

Buffalo 30 16 12 2 34

Columbus 29 15 12 2 32

Colorado 30 13 10 7 33

Winnipeg 31 10 15 6 26

Florida 28 8 12 8 24

Buffalo only team in action tonight. They're playing their makeup game against the Rags tonight against the Otters. :wacko:

We've fallen on hard times as of late. We can start another surge tonight against Ottawa and continue tomorrow at Winnipeg.

In other news, Mike Harrington is now referring to the pro-tank crowd as a radical fringe. He has been the most vehement member of the media against it and he continues to troll hard...

He's taking the easy way. Your median everyday league-wide (not specifically Sabres) casual fan probably doesn't know who who Connor McDavid is (although many fans do), so it's still an incredibly defendable position to rant about how we should win because "it's the right thing to do," blah blah blah.

And I don't care. I think to help maintain the professional relationships he has with players and coaches (and maybe GMs), he has to "fight the good fight." Hell, he may even like the idea of tanking, but realizes that he should publicly shill the opposite for the sake of the team in the eyes of the league.

He's taking the easy way. Your median everyday league-wide (not specifically Sabres) casual fan probably doesn't know who who Connor McDavid is (although many fans do), so it's still an incredibly defendable position to rant about how we should win because "it's the right thing to do," blah blah blah.

And I don't care. I think to help maintain the professional relationships he has with players and coaches (and maybe GMs), he has to "fight the good fight." Hell, he may even like the idea of tanking, but realizes that he should publicly shill the opposite for the sake of the team in the eyes of the league.

At the bar after my game last night, I was talking about CoJack (I like that) and none of the guys on my team had heard of either one. They are all Rangers and Devils fans and pretty avid overall NHL fans as well.

I believe it. I'm not in any sort of fervent hockey market here in LA/Anaheim, but nobody here really knows who they are, and I'm constantly explaining to people why I'm ok with the Sabres losing (preferably on the road against teams we don't hate).

It's possible that no other franchise fanbase is looking closer and McDavid and Eichel than we are. Maybe Edmonton. Maybe. Most of us on this board knew who McDavid was more than 18 months ago. I think the average Sabres fan probably knew about him by the end of last season. How many everyday sports fans know the kid they want in the draft 16 months beforehand?

Edited by IKnowPhysics

I believe it. I'm not in any sort of fervent hockey market here in LA/Anaheim, but nobody here really knows who they are, and I'm constantly explaining to people why I'm ok with the Sabres losing (preferably on the road against teams we don't hate).

It's possible that no other franchise fanbase is looking closer and McDavid and Eichel than we are. Maybe Edmonton. Maybe. Most of us on this board knew who McDavid was more than 18 months ago. I think the average Sabres fan probably knew about him by the end of last season. How many everyday sports fans know the kid they want in the draft 16 months beforehand?

I wish I didn''t know his name.

That was a serious question of mine. If Dallas Eakins could win the Jack Hoff coaching award after such a short tenure.

Probably depends on how well his successor does. He's made a pretty strong case for it, but in fairness MacTavish did set him up in spades to fail.