Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

I respectfully disagree with pretty much all of this. Myers is now in his 6th full season, has played 300+ NHL games and in each successive season he has gotten statistically worse. Yet everyone keeps talking about "when he develops"... just when is that supposed to be? When he is 28? 30?

I can't think of a single top defenseman who wasn't already dominant by game 300 and that includes Chara. Keith, Shea Weber, Doughty, Subban, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Suter, OEL, Chara, etc. all were dominant at this point in their career.

I think what we want Myers to be and what he is are two different things. IMHO, he is a good second pair defenseman on a top team. But, from what I've seen he isn't a guy who will carry a team on his back ala some of the others mentioned above.

Tyler myers ever since last year has been playing great and playing far better than he did the couple of years before that. I know its an opinion, but I don't how someone could say tyler myers is getting worse, he has played great for awhile now. And if you are looking at plus/minus, then that is a terrible stat to judge any player on this god awful team.

plays 26 minutes a night.

almost leads team in plus/minus.

is only 24 years old.

only makes $5.5 mil/yr.

trading myers is stupid.

meszaros makes $4.1/yr and is dead last in plus/minus.

Agree with this wholeheartedly, however if some GM is willing to pay Murray's Price then go for it.

Agree with this wholeheartedly, however if some GM is willing to pay Murray's Price then go for it.

I think this is where TM is as well. IIRC, he's said the same thing about Myers a few times -- i.e. he's not initiating trade talks for Myers, but if someone calls about anyone on the roster, he'll listen -- but the price for Myers would be very high.

Um no. If we really think they'd trade their first, and they wont, you are talking a filly to a vs trade like Lindros. I think myers, girgesons, pysyk, and Makarov plus just to get their attention.

With Myers and a returning Stahl, Skinner and a hopefully healthy Sekera, the Canes have a shot at a Playoff berth. Boychuk looked good last night and they are not bad. Injury riddled yes. Why so much payola for a pick that could be as high as mid teens?

To the price for Myers is one elite prospect and two good ones.

Top pairing, all-situations defenceman, young and on a good contract.

If you aren't willing to pay, no skin off Murray's ass.

According to Bob McKenzie on NBCSN tonight

Bob McKenzie was on NBCSN before Wednesday night's Bruins - Red Wings game.

On what Detroit's interest is in Tyler Myers:

"They have significant interest, but the price is high. Now, they wanted him last year, and the Buffalo Sabres wanted Anthony Mantha - top prospect in the Detroit organization. A non-starter. They wanted Nyquist. Non-starter.

"So now the Red Wings are looking again at Tyler Myers and they want to get a handle. They think he'd make a big difference on their blueline and help to make them that contending team. But the question then becomes, are they prepared to give up a really top-end prospect like Dylan Larkin - first round pick who's playing at the University of Michigan. Or does Kenny Holland have to find out what are these Red Wings again, to go back to the other point. Do we give up our young kids for a defenseman in his mid-20s, or do we pull our horns back in.

"And I think that's the exercise they're going through now, as they take a real hard look, in terms of their pro scouting, at Tyler Myers' game and where it's at."

If Dylan Larkin is the best prospect coming back then no thanks.

Indeed this is where most sabres fans, and hopefully murray is at.

Myers is our top D, The way risto is playing at the moment, you can't afford to lose myers.

He'll anchor our blue line when we'll become a playoff team, and im optimistic about that being next year already.

You want him, you start with Nyquist + ( yes i say mantha, because he is what he is, a prospect with 0 NHL games)

We aren't the desperate team, but also these first games + preseason have shown Ristolainen isn't licking at Myers heals yet.

Now here is where it gets interesting for me, Hodgson, why did we play him at center last night ? Did the redwings want something coming back ?

but then its Nyquist + +

Edited by Heimdall

This. Dylan Larkin is a good player, but in my opinion it absolutely has to be Nyqvist or Mantha coming back, with extra headed Buffalo's way.

There is no reason for us to trade Myers for maybes.

If Timmy settles for less, I'll be pissed.

I read this as Timmy's playing hardball and Holland is pissed.

Edited by dudacek

Larkin is a head scratcher. He seems similar to the Prospects in the Sabres System already.

Indeed this is where most sabres fans, and hopefully murray is at.

Myers is our top D, The way risto is playing at the moment, you can't afford to lose myers.

He'll anchor our blue line when we'll become a playoff team, and im optimistic about that being next year already.

You want him, you start with Nyquist + ( yes i say mantha, because he is what he is, a prospect with 0 NHL games)

We aren't the desperate team, but also these first games + preseason have shown Ristolainen isn't licking at Myers heals yet.

Now here is where it gets interesting for me, Hodgson, why did we play him at center last night ? Did the redwings want something coming back ?

but then its Nyquist + +

I would trade Myers for Mantha straight up.

If I'm going to have to read about prospects for Myers all year, it's going to be an even longer year than I thought when i considered this team.

Can we have an internal agreement to not do this?

Probably a better idea for you to just not open the thread. If it's being talked about among the likes of Dreger and McKenzie then many of us are going to and want to discuss it.

But I don't think anybody wants prospects that aren't going to be on this team right away.

If I'm going to have to read about prospects for Myers all year, it's going to be an even longer year than I thought when i considered this team.

Can we have an internal agreement to not do this?

Because you don't want to trade him or because you don't like the thread?

Probably a better idea for you to just not open the thread. If it's being talked about among the likes of Dreger and McKenzie then many of us are going to and want to discuss it.

But I don't think anybody wants prospects that aren't going to be on this team right away.

Agreed...I asked SDS for an "ignore thread" feature months ago. (So it doesn't clog the feed--not because I don't have self-control.) He didn't respond (he is a busy guy) but I suspect the software doesn't support it.

Then again, there may be legit early trade talk. So again, can we internally agree to refrain from posting unrealistic scenarios posed by Dreger/McKenzie/that idiot Garrioch in Ottawa/Eklund involving Myers until something realistic is presented or until something might materialize?

Because you don't want to trade him or because you don't like the thread?

Addressed above. And just a request.

Edited by Eleven

Agreed...I asked SDS for an "ignore thread" feature months ago. (So it doesn't clog the feed--not because I don't have self-control.) He didn't respond (he is a busy guy) but I suspect the software doesn't support it.

Then again, there may be legit early trade talk. So again, can we internally agree to refrain from posting unrealistic scenarios posed by Dreger/McKenzie/that idiot Garrioch in Ottawa/Eklund involving Myers until something realistic is presented or until something might materialize?

He's our most viable trade asset on a team where frankly there isn't much else to discuss until the draft. There's no Rolston-Regier firing this year or a hunt for the gm to occupy us from the product on the ice; this is it. Between the CHL, Around the NHL, prospects, and GDT, this is pretty much it, hockey related at least. Most of those threads get little traffic because we have to wait for something to happen. Even the 2015 draft thread will be dead compared to last year seeing as the debate for #1 overall isn't too large (though the other picks we have could lead to some discussion).

No offense Eleven, but IMO this thread is one of the better hockey related ones (excitement wise at least).

I am on the fence with this one. If we can turn Myers into a much needed sure fire scoring winger then I am all for it. Best case scenario we get McEichle and we suddenly have 2/3 of our top line. Worse case scenario we don't get McEichle and we draft Hannifan who should more than adequately replace Myers.

GMTM knows this does not have to happen tomorrow. He has time on his hands. I think at some point he gets the offer he is looking for.

Then again, there may be legit early trade talk. So again, can we internally agree to refrain from posting unrealistic scenarios posed by Dreger/McKenzie/that idiot Garrioch in Ottawa/Eklund involving Myers until something realistic is presented or until something might materialize

I agree with you on Garrioch and Eklund, but Dreger and McKenzie have reputable sources. The trade scenario McKenzie mentioned about Larkin for Myers was probably one given to him by the Detroit FO. Would Murray agree to it, not without the addition of some more significant assets.

I agree with you on Garrioch and Eklund, but Dreger and McKenzie have reputable sources. The trade scenario McKenzie mentioned about Larkin for Myers was probably one given to him by the Detroit FO. Would Murray agree to it, not without the addition of some more significant assets.

I'm assuming McKenzie is talking about a package including Larkin.

I think I'd go for Jurco, Larkin, Kindl and a third.

Tyler myers ever since last year has been playing great and playing far better than he did the couple of years before that. I know its an opinion, but I don't how someone could say tyler myers is getting worse, he has played great for awhile now. And if you are looking at plus/minus, then that is a terrible stat to judge any player on this god awful team.

Myers had 10 even strength points all of last year (124th among league d-men) and a ES points per 60 minutes played of 0.60 (157th). And, only 5 ES points the year before (worst among Sabres d-men that year). And his iFenwick and iCorsi and whatever advanced stat folks like were similar - well outside the top 100 defensemen in the league. Even with a terrible supporting cast, those number should be better for a so-called "elite" all-around defenseman. He has looked okay so far this year, but still has no points despite being 8th in the NHL in ice time. And, unless you're seeing something I'm not, he certainly isn't controlling possession. Maybe we just have different definitions of "great."

My thought is if we're going to overhaul this team, lets overhaul it. If Murray can get a big return for Myers, I'm personally for it. If not then keep him around.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.