Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

"Rumblings" = random yobs speculating online. There are ridiculous "rumblings" on this board about various issues many times each day.

Of course, nothing lasts forever, but I think it is indeed insane to think they could get canned this year.

I'm absolutely sensivitive to the fact that in a cap system, teams fade because you can't pay everyone and the draft is a crap shoot. But, they've made some poor decisions with may have hastened their fall from grace, and haven't drafted well enough to stem the tide. Any time you have to give away Boychuk for pennies on the dollar and trade one of the best players in the game (on a cost controlled contract no less) for a package which has turned out to be weak, questions are going to be there. I wouldn't fire them, but this isn't just some Internet malcontents spewing garbage...Dreger mentioned the possibility. And it's not totally insane.

I am still trying to figure out why Boston traded Seguin and didn't keep Boychuk or Leddy. It is like every move they make is the wrong one at this point. Of course watch those @$$hats miss the playoffs and win the lottery... karma is bs

They didn't keep Leddy because he was never theirs. ;)

"Rumblings" = random yobs speculating online. There are ridiculous "rumblings" on this board about various issues many times each day.

Of course, nothing lasts forever, but I think it is indeed insane to think they could get canned this year.

Holy condescending tool batman! Just because it's something you find to be ridiculous doesn't mean that it hasn't been discussed by actual professionals before. It has. That's the "rumblings." Don't be a dick.

Holy condescending tool batman! Just because it's something you find to be ridiculous doesn't mean that it hasn't been discussed by actual professionals before. It has. That's the "rumblings." Don't be a dick.

Oh yea he was a Blackhawk.  Guess I just merged the Boychuk and Leddy trades together.  

Settle down.  You need to be able to disagree with someone without resorting to name-calling.

In this situation, you are right about what Dreger said.  Certainly "rumblings" has been used many times, here and elsewhere, to describe speculation from much less respectable sources.

As to Dreger's speculation:  he is far from immune from pre-deadline hysteria.  I suppose anything can happen, but the idea of canning Chiarelli and Julien seems insane to me.

Settle down. You need to be able to disagree with someone without resorting to name-calling.

In this situation, you are right about what Dreger said. Certainly "rumblings" has been used many times, here and elsewhere, to describe speculation from much less respectable sources.

As to Dreger's speculation: he is far from immune from pre-deadline hysteria. I suppose anything can happen, but the idea of canning Chiarelli and Julien seems insane to me.

How did you feel about Regier after he helped turn a Cup contender into a bubble team? That's essentially what Chiarelli has done with Boston. It's not insane.

How did you feel about Regier after he helped turn a Cup contender into a bubble team? That's essentially what Chiarelli has done with Boston. It's not insane.

We assume there's an ebb and flow to how good hockey teams go through the process of winning-retooling-winning and when you win you get more leeway with the middle stage. Darcy never earned that leeway.

Edited by d4rksabre

I'm absolutely sensivitive to the fact that in a cap system, teams fade because you can't pay everyone and the draft is a crap shoot. But, they've made some poor decisions with may have hastened their fall from grace, and haven't drafted well enough to stem the tide. Any time you have to give away Boychuk for pennies on the dollar and trade one of the best players in the game (on a cost controlled contract no less) for a package which has turned out to be weak, questions are going to be there. I wouldn't fire them, but this isn't just some Internet malcontents spewing garbage...Dreger mentioned the possibility. And it's not totally insane.

Same kind of f up Darcy did with drury and briere.

We assume there's an ebb and flow to how good hockey teams go through the process of winning-retooling-winning and when you win you get more leeway with the middle stage. Darcy never earned that leeway.

I don't disagree at all. I guess my issue is with calling firing them "insane." Premature? Probably yea, but it's not like it has the logic of a wookie trade proposal.

Apples and oranges.  Boston's ownership didn't decide that it knew roster construction better than Chiarelli and let Chara and Bergeron leave for nothing.

Apples and oranges. Boston's ownership didn't decide that it knew roster construction better than Chiarelli and let Chara and Bergeron leave for nothing.

You're right of course, but I'm not sure how it helps your case. If Boston's decline is more on the GM than Buffalo's, isn't that even more justification to make changes?

You're right of course, but I'm not sure how it helps your case. If Boston's decline is more on the GM than Buffalo's, isn't that even more justification to make changes?

Well, I was responding to the implied question of why I didn't want DR's head on a pike in 2008.

In any case, your point is fair in a vacuum, but on the ground it still IMHO bangs into the wall of "calm down and don't act precipitously based on what is likely a blip."  The team that Chiarelli built and Julien coached has been really good for a long time, won a Cup, was in the finals again 2 years ago and lost in 7 games in the 2nd round last year.  You don't throw that management group away after one bad season.  That's a Ralph-Wilson-getting-PO'd-and-firing-John-Butler-and-Wade-Phillips move.

Apples and oranges.  Boston's ownership didn't decide that it knew roster construction better than Chiarelli and let Chara and Bergeron leave for nothing.

That said.  Would they rather have Boychuk or Chara right now?  I know who I would prefer.

I don't disagree at all. I guess my issue is with calling firing them "insane." Premature? Probably yea, but it's not like it has the logic of a wookie trade proposal.

:D poor wookie. He is now held up as the antithesis of logic. I enjoy his suggested trades anyway :P

Ok so I was going to reply to Tank's basketball point but changed my mind when I realised he said basketball not baseball. But now I can't get rid of the quotes and just keep duplicating them. Sorry Tank

Edited by ThirtyEight

Does anybody remember/know if the trade deadline day coverage airs streams anywhere? I may not be anywhere that has NHL Network/TSN that day.

On Insider Trading:

LeBrun:
-Bergenheim deal imminent. Montreal, Vancouver, Winnipeg interested. Could be a third.
-Sabres want Ryan O'Reilly very bad. Murray is pursuing him but likely an offseason deal including the remaining late-first rounder.

Dreger:
-Alex Burmistrov being used as trade bait from Winnipeg.
-Pressure in Boston on Chiarelli and Julien. Jobs in Jeopardy if they miss the playoffs.

McKenzie:
-Sekera is most in demand among rental dmen. Could be next dealt. Kings, Rangers, Lightning, Pens and other interested.
-Oilers still trying to talk contract extension with Petry but still likely to be traded.
-Zbynek Michalek close to returning to the lineup and lots of action on him.
-Bennett close to returning. Not clear if he's heading back to juniors or Calgary but chances are it will be juniors.

http://www.tsn.ca/video/insider-trading-bergenheim-s-trade-from-panthers-imminent-1.211363Starts around 3:04

Just so there's no confusion on what LeBrun said about O'Reilly, I'll transcribe and link:

I can tell you one team that would love to get their hands on him and that's the Buffalo Sabres. And they won't be alone. There's a long list of teams if and when the Avalanche really put this guy in play. With the Avs falling out of the playoff race, one would think that would probably wait until the summer. But we know one thing about Tim Murray in Buffalo, he showed it in the Evander Kane deal, he's not scared to go after something and make a gigantic deal. And I'm told that other first round pick, the low pick, he's willing to throw that in in a package for Ryan O'Reilly if the time comes in the offseason. 
Edited by Tank

I'm ok with that.  Obviously depending on other pieces.  I think if we wait until off season, we'll have fewer expendable pieces to move out, but not necessarily a shortage of them.  Although, more teams may want in, raising the price.

It'll be an interesting deal to watch. I'm still not moving any of Zemgus, Zadorov, Risto, Reinhart or our 2015 first unless we are getting a star back.

I think this is a deal that would have to include Ennis since we don't have key young pieces otherwise (unless they want Bailey/Baptiste). Wonder if Ennis, Pysyk, 2015 first (later) and another pick or mid-level prospect like Hurley/Larsson/Carrier get it done.

Edited by Tank

It'll be an interesting deal to watch. I'm still not moving any of Zemgus, Zadorov, Risto, Reinhart or our 2015 first unless we are getting a star back.

I think this is a deal that would have to include Ennis since we don't have key young pieces otherwise (unless they want Bailey/Baptiste). Wonder if Ennis, Pysyk, 2015 first (later) and another pick or mid-level prospect like Hurley/Larsson/Carrier get it done.

I am not moving our 2015 first.

I think they would want Ennis, Grigorenko or Pysyk, the late 2015 first as starters.  I am still not sold on O"reilly.

Edited by LGR4GM

I am not moving our 2015 first.

I think they would want Ennis, Grigorenko or Pysyk, the late 2015 first as starters.  I am still not sold on O"reilly.

I'm not either... Not sure why you made note of that in response to what I said.

By "star" when moving those pieces I mean guys like Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Lundqvist, etc.

Edited by Tank

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.