Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

Looks like it will be a slow deadline day around here.

Really looking forward to seeing what we get for Torrey Mitchell.

Yep. Slow deadline day for sure. Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

Here's a wrinkle in a potential ROR trade: can he sign an extension as part of a draft-day trade? Or is the first day to sign an extension the first day of FA -- ie after the draft? Because no one is giving up a fat package for him on draft day without an extension in hand.

IF he can sign an extension on draft day, there is still enough ammo in picks and prospects to get it done -- but I suspect Colorado will want a good roster player, and I'm not trading Ennis, Risto, Nikita or Zemgus for him.

Of course, it's now quite clear that GMTM a gives zero f---s, so anything is possible.

Here's a wrinkle in a potential ROR trade: can he sign an extension as part of a draft-day trade? Or is the first day to sign an extension the first day of FA -- ie after the draft? Because no one is giving up a fat package for him on draft day without an extension in hand.

IF he can sign an extension on draft day, there is still enough ammo in picks and prospects to get it done -- but I suspect Colorado will want a good roster player, and I'm not trading Ennis, Risto, Nikita or Zemgus for him.

Of course, it's now quite clear that GMTM a gives zero f---s, so anything is possible.

Good question. I don't have the answer to it, but it's worth looking in to.

Guys on multiyear deals can sign contracts on/after July 1 before they turn FA. The Avs would have to give a trading partner permission to talk to him AND he'd have to be willing to forego free agency. Even w/ a 'knock his socks off offer' does he seem the type to go for that? IMHO he wouldn't go for that, figuring the offer would still be there in July.

At this point Murray may start paying other teams to take our players as a blatant tank move to raise the middle finger to all other NHL GMs for changing the lottery odds.

I feel like yesterday he moved those moves and then at his press conference he was staring at the camera and saying "Your move Edmonton."

Asked this question in the enroth trade thread. What are our options on a trade for a goalie in the offseason. Someone like a gibson, fucale or subban? The response Igot in that thread was schneider was traded for a 1st. Would a 2016 first get gibson?

I would trade for a goalie prospect like that at the trade deadline.  Teams might be willing to part with them for a piece that could push them over the top and into the Stanley Cup discussion.

.Boston Espn was all over Need for Bruins to aquire Stewart today on ride back from mass to nyc

Tim Murray basically announced to the league you better call me quick because I'm making deals. 

With the rumors out there about Boston being interested what kind of package would it take to pry Subban? If Murray could pull that off this rebuild would take another giant step forward.

I have no idea what the value is for a young goaltender. I would love to get him. All I know is it takes a decent amount of value in NHL 13 Edited by Kr632

Guys on multiyear deals can sign contracts on/after July 1 before they turn FA. The Avs would have to give a trading partner permission to talk to him AND he'd have to be willing to forego free agency. Even w/ a 'knock his socks off offer' does he seem the type to go for that? IMHO he wouldn't go for that, figuring the offer would still be there in July.

Right -- my point was that the Sabres have a bunch of picks in this year's draft, which is June 26, that they could use as part of a package to trade for ROR -- but I don't think they (or anyone else) will give up much for ROR without him agreeing to an extension as part of the deal.  If ROR cannot agree to the extension until July 1, that means that the draft picks from the draft 5 days before then will have already been used and thus would not be part of the package.

Don't like the deal, Including Lemieux or the 1st to me is a deal breaker. Murray got fleeced on 1st big deal. Just dont like Kane and I cant see Nolan doing well with a prima donna. Nukin Futts

lemieux wasn't going to sign with buffalo. I thought that tweet was BS but heard a few reporters say it on wgr during interviews. I felt the same way Edited by Kr632

It sounds more like Lemieux didn't accept Buffalo's offer.

That's not the same as wasn't going to sign.

Looks more likely Lemieux was simply waiting in the hopes he could boost his value above a second-rounder.

This seems to be the only thing we can confirm.  Murray said Lemieux and the Sabres couldn't reach a deal last year.  Can't confirm he never would have signed but it is interesting. 

It sounds more like Lemieux didn't accept Buffalo's offer.

That's not the same as wasn't going to sign.

Looks more likely Lemieux was simply waiting in the hopes he could boost his value above a second-rounder.

He's still over a year away from having to sign. That's why the whole thing makes no sense. There is absolutely zero leverage right now.

The probabilty of trading for Niemi's rights before the deadline to keep him off the UFA market is effectively zero because the Sharks will want to ride him into the playoffs, correct?

How about trading for his rights pre-July 1?  Too risky?  We technically sent a 4th round pick to NYI to do this with Ehrhoff (to replace the 4th that NYI had spent to acquire his rights to unsuccessfully do the same).

The probabilty of trading for Niemi's rights before the deadline to keep him off the UFA market is effectively zero because the Sharks will want to ride him into the playoffs, correct?

How about trading for his rights pre-July 1?  Too risky?  We technically sent a 4th round pick to NYI to do this with Ehrhoff (to replace the 4th that NYI had spent to acquire his rights to unsuccessfully do the same).

If that were to happen we would trade for his rights after the playoffs.

Tim Murray basically announced to the league you better call me quick because I'm making deals. 

"Why would I wait around?  That's not how things get done in this league.  You make moves, you trade players, and that's that.  It's not easy, but that's how it is.  If they call and make offers, I'll listen."

-Fake Tim Murray

murray.jpg

If that were to happen we would trade for his rights after the playoffs.

Sorta what I meant by pre-July 1.  Anytime after SJS would be done with him.  Is there a set date when the trade deadline is over...after the SC Finals or when a team exits the playoffs?

Don't like the deal, Including Lemieux or the 1st to me is a deal breaker. Murray got fleeced on 1st big deal. Just dont like Kane and I cant see Nolan doing well with a prima donna. Nukin Futts

Yeah, my head almost exploded when I heard this much was given up.  Once I came off the ledge, I could see what Murray is doing (by overhauling the style of play), but just don't agree with how he is going about it.  I get aggravated when I hear that Kane is a "legit 1st liner", "an elite player", "a 30 goal scorer", etc (which have all been said either here or other comment sections) as if these are all givens that should taken at face value.  Outside of his impressive 30 goal campaign 3 years ago, Kane is none of that currently.  "30 goal scorer" implies he's been rattling off 30 goals season after season, when its much more like 15-19 goals.  In addition, he wasn't even a first liner on his own team.  And we aren't talking about the Blackhawks here, its the freakin Jets.  And a guy who scores 30 once is elite?!!!!  Wow, how times have changed. 

Of course this could all change in Buffalo, and I hope it does, I just don't see enough evidence in suggesting that it will.  Kane certainly has all the tools to live up to his potential, but I have seen countless of guys come through with the same hype and skill set only to disappoint.  I also don't see the logic in pointing out that we gave up only "potential" in acquiring a proven player, only to come back in the next sentence, and rave about Kane's potential.  If nothing more, we gave up potential for a different kind of potential.  Although I see Kane in very much the same vein as I saw Myers....a guy with an unbelievable tool set who lacks the "it" factor, and praying to God my eyes are just lying to me. 

To me, there is nothing exciting about this trade (maybe that will change a little when I see more of Bogosian, if he has a physical edge everyone is talking about), other than it shuffled the deck and drained us of a little organizational prospect depth as I see no "provens" or "givens".  The real excitement for me comes draft lottery day.  That is when the real game changer comes into focus, and even then, its more "potential".

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.