Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

He seems very timid. Hopefully when that wears off he will play the way I think he is capable of playing. Time will tell but if we draft another center in the top 6 I see him being someone Murray packages in a Myers type trade.

You aren't fond of read-and-react players who let the game come to them, are you? Not a shot, just an observation.

Because, so far, I think you are mostly correct. Except I wouldn't call it timid, I would call it thinking too much.

I'll preach patience because I think guys like Grigorenko and Reinhart are used to being smarter and more skilled than their opposition.

They have had a lot of success waiting, then picking apart holes that other guys can't process and execute in as quickly as they can.

In the NHL they lose that edge because the game is happening 20% faster. They are used to slowing the game down and it's hard because the holes are opening and closing for them far more quickly than they are used to.

Their NHL success will depend on whether their thought process advantage can adjust to the speed and that will only happen with time and experience.

You look at Reinhart at the WJC against his peers, the game just comes to him and he makes so many good decisions.

Grigs certainly has a ways to go in the NHL, but his improvement in this area over last year is very noticeable to me. He is going to the right places now, and the puck is finding him more.

Guys with this type of game can and do become first-liners.

Look at Joe Thornton. Rarely the first guy on the puck, never beats a guy with speed. But he has dominated with his hands and his mind — finding space and creating separation for himself and his linemates. Henrik Sedin is another one. Neither of them immediately set the league on fire.

May never happen for our guys (It certainly hasn't for Cody Hodgson, who was like this as a junior too) but you have to give them time.

Edited by dudacek

Latest Rumor out of Colorado. They are willing to trade Ryan O'Reilly for a Top 4 D-Man. Any interest?

Problem with O'Reilly is he's a pure rental who will get hugely overpaid.

I would look hard at taking a run at him as a UFA.

But it's pretty hard to give up Myers, or Risto or Zads for what could easily be a horrible contract, or even worse a guy who plays a few months and is gone.

Edited by dudacek

Latest Rumor out of Colorado. They are willing to trade Ryan O'Reilly for a Top 4 D-Man. Any interest?

I would explore the option if I were TM. If we pursue it I think Col would want Myers. He is still young and has shown moments of competent position play even though he has yet to live up to his rookie year. Works for us for obvious reasons and we have shown we can compete (if that's the right word) in Myers absence.

But it's pretty hard to give up Myers, or Risto or Zads for what could easily be a horrible contract, or even worse a guy who plays a few months and is gone.

Ya there's that too.

Honestly I think this year is to establish confidence and change an old negative culture. To build a competitive them your need consistency in the lineup and locker room not a revolving door of rentals so who knows. Then again maybe he would actually resign here. I guess waiting until FA would be a better option than taking on a guy who doesn't fit.

It's risky either way. Unless he's dead set on it, I can't picture a team giving up significant assets to get him and then not signing him. If he gets moved my guess is he never hits the market.

I would explore the option if I were TM. If we pursue it I think Col would want Myers. He is still young and has shown moments of competent position play even though he has yet to live up to his rookie year. Works for us for obvious reasons and we have shown we can compete (if that's the right word) in Myers absence.

Ya there's that too.

Honestly I think this year is to establish confidence and change an old negative culture. To build a competitive them your need consistency in the lineup and locker room not a revolving door of rentals so who knows. Then again maybe he would actually resign here. I guess waiting until FA would be a better option than taking on a guy who doesn't fit.

O'Reilly has another year on his contract

You aren't fond of read-and-react players who let the game come to them, are you? Not a shot, just an observation.

Because, so far, I think you are mostly correct. Except I wouldn't call it timid, I would call it thinking too much.

I'll preach patience because I think guys like Grigorenko and Reinhart are used to being smarter and more skilled than their opposition.

They have had a lot of success waiting, then picking apart holes that other guys can't process and execute in as quickly as they can.

In the NHL they lose that edge because the game is happening 20% faster. They are used to slowing the game down and it's hard because the holes are opening and closing for them far more quickly than they are used to.

Their NHL success will depend on whether their thought process advantage can adjust to the speed and that will only happen with time and experience.

You look at Reinhart at the WJC against his peers, the game just comes to him and he makes so many good decisions.

Grigs certainly has a ways to go in the NHL, but his improvement in this area over last year is very noticeable to me. He is going to the right places now, and the puck is finding him more.

Guys with this type of game can and do become first-liners.

Look at Joe Thornton. Rarely the first guy on the puck, never beats a guy with speed. But he has dominated with his hands and his mind — finding space and creating separation for himself and his linemates. Henrik Sedin is another one. Neither of them immediately set the league on fire.

May never happen for our guys (It certainly hasn't for Cody Hodgson, who was like this as a junior too) but you have to give them time.

Excellent take. I think their transition will be helped if they can find wingers that can create space on the ice as well. When I read inkman's updates on the Amerks, I get the sense that Armia is doing this for Grigs in the A already.

GO SABRES!!!

O'Reilly has another year on his contract

I would still consider it a rental with one year left. If he had three years remaining I would feel better about giving something up for him. If he was here for only a season how does that help us especially when we aren't set for a playoff run? It gets us some more goals for a year and then we will have lost him and whatever we gave to get him. I say look for players with multiple years left on contract to get more bang for our buck.

Are we moving Stewart anytime soon? Please respond Tim, I'm a huge fan. Could you retweet me sometime? Thanks.

Considering O'Reilly has held out twice for contracts and he isn't worth 7mil per year, he isn't an elite offensive player, there is not a good reason to trade multiple assets for him.

I would still consider it a rental with one year left. If he had three years remaining I would feel better about giving something up for him. If he was here for only a season how does that help us especially when we aren't set for a playoff run? It gets us some more goals for a year and then we will have lost him and whatever we gave to get him. I say look for players with multiple years left on contract to get more bang for our buck.

I wasn't advocating acquiring him. I'm with LG on this one. I was just pointing out the contract situation

The more i see Eichel play, the more i think he'd be a better fit with us then Mcdavid. But at this rate we'll be lucky to draft Hanifin.

That being said, come trade deadline im not expecting much, our UFA's might get unloaded, kis will come up to replace them.

At Draft day i think murray might be the biggest dealer out there.

I also like these guys in the UFA market this summer.

Sekera <--- might not be opposed to coming back

Soderberg <--- is the guy i know the least about, is already 29 with only 2 NHL seasons, might be a risk. But we can drive the price up a bit for boston :D

justin williams <--- some more leadership might not hurt us

Niemi <---- solves our goalie situation

Foligno <--- i'd give him 4 - 5 mill but not more, hell he should take hometown discount :P

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/rumor-roundup-devils-veterans-could-be-shipped-out-in-push-for-top-pick/

Says Murray is asking for a high-end prospect and a first for Stewart. Shoot high but don't be foolish. You're not getting even one of those for him. Take the first good offer you get and move on.

That asking price is speculation from Bruce Garrioch. I doubt GMTM is that nuts.

More interesting part is the teams that are interested: Bruins, Sens, Flames, Kings.

More teams the better. He is playing better as of late and I think Murray will get either a high end prospect or a first when it is all said and done. He won't get both.

That said add me to the small list of people wanting to re-sign Stafford. I think as he is getting older he could end up being the kind of player that we need.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.