Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

Of course it doesn't say which year the #1 pick would be in. A good prospect plus a 2016 #1 is more conceivable. Boston has a lot of goaltending in the system not to mention Rask so Subban could be moveable for them.

Wouldn't mind an extra 1st in 2016 when we're hosting the draft.

Another 1st in 2015 could help us move up in the draft or make other trades though.

I would move Stewart to Boston for Subban straight up

Boston wouldn't. They wouldn't even consider it.

If we're looking at our own franchise for a realistic target that we could expect for Stewart it'd probably be somebody like Pysyk and a 2nd. A prospect that has the talent but hasn't been able to break through quite yet and a non-first.

The Flames have a few prospects like that. One on their roster that hasn't lived up to the hype is Markus Granlund or Sam's brother Max Reinhart.

Matt Puempel, Shane Prince and Chris Driedger (goalie) are all guys from Ottawa I wouldn't mind a shot at using Stewart.

They could get so much more for Subban. At least much more than an expiring player who is possibly the most inconsistent in the game and a bit lazy at times.

There is no reason to make a decision on Subban for at least another full season. He could become the backup there in a year or two. Goalies have a much longer timeline and Rask really won't have much of an impact on Subban until they see him on NHL ice. If a team like Edmonton calls and wants to move Eberle that might get Subban plus. Stewart isn't even a conversation starter on Subban.

Tank, I mostly agree with you on this, but isn't the going rate on emerging goalies a second-rounder plus? (Bernier, Bishop, Lindback)

And isn't the going rate on rentals who can play in the top six a second-rounder? (Too many to mention)

I wouldn't do it if I was Boston because I don't like Stewart, but Stewart and a second for Subban isn't unreasonable.

Stewart fills the need now. You use the second to draft Subban's replacement.

Tank, I mostly agree with you on this, but isn't the going rate on emerging goalies a second-rounder plus? (Bernier, Bishop, Lindback)

And isn't the going rate on rentals who can play in the top six a second-rounder? (Too many to mention)

I wouldn't do it if I was Boston because I don't like Stewart, but Stewart and a second for Subban isn't unreasonable.

Stewart fills the need now. You use the second to draft Subban's replacement.

All of those guys you named had already played at the NHL level at which point they were seemingly stuck behind a better goalie that wasn't going anywhere soon. That is where Subban likely will end up in two/three years. But right now he's still just a recent high draft pick who has excelled at every level. There's a certain stigma about a guy who has still yet to crack an NHL lineup. He'd draw more value in a big deal than just being the type of guy a team is selling off for a draft pick and maybe a couple weaker pieces.

Subban is the type you move for another long-term piece. You might have to package him and a few other things to get that type of player, but I don't believe Stewart could be the main piece they're getting in return. Maybe if we were dealing Moulson or somebody of his stature but we're not.

More teams the better. He is playing better as of late and I think Murray will get either a high end prospect or a first when it is all said and done. He won't get both.

That said add me to the small list of people wanting to re-sign Stafford. I think as he is getting older he could end up being the kind of player that we need.

I was a charter member of 11's Stafford Needs To Go thread since day one, but now I tend to agree with you about him. I think he should be re-signed, as well, to a 2 x 5 contract, with a team option for a third year.

Stafford seems more at easy without the "A" and he seems to be buying into Nolan's talk.

I was a charter member of 11's Stafford Needs To Go thread since day one, but now I tend to agree with you about him. I think he should be re-signed, as well, to a 2 x 5 contract, with a team option for a third year.

Stafford seems more at easy without the "A" and he seems to be buying into Nolan's talk.

I may be wrong but I don't think you can offer option contracts in the NHL. Also, Stafford has been a disappointment at his current cap hit of $4 million so I would definitely not want to offer him a raise to $5 million per year. In a choice between Stafford and Stewart I'd prefer to keep Stewart who is just as inconsistent (maybe even more so) but at least brings a more physical aspect to his game and has shown to be willing to throw down more often than Stafford.

I really don't understand the thinking in this thread as of late...why would you want to trade Stewart? Why would you want Stafford taking up a roster spot? I would much rather have Stewart on this team than Stafford. The sickness in the fan-base is deep-seated.

The only reason a Stewart/Subban deal wouldn't happen is that Boston would require some salary to be moved from their roster to make room for Stewart since they are close to the cap.

To us Stewart might be underachieving or just bad, but there's demand for him and teams are interested. Subban has proven nothing at the NHL level, if it's possible the Bruins could make a swap like this if it wasn't for the cap and needing room for Stewart if Subban is not in the future plans due to Rask

I really don't understand the thinking in this thread as of late...why would you want to trade Stewart? Why would you want Stafford taking up a roster spot? I would much rather have Stewart on this team than Stafford. The sickness in the fan-base is deep-seated.

I think you have to trade Stewart if you can't get him to agree to an extension before the deadline.

Trade Stafford because he has no future in Buffalo, he's not that into hockey, and the fans have been ready to move on from the guy for a few years already.

Re-sign Stewart or trade him.

Both guys should be able to net us something decent by the deadline.

I think with Stafford being here for as long as he has his heart might be into it more than Stewart. I think Stewart gets his money and lays down. With his track record I wouldn't risk it. I just get the feeling from listening to Stafford that he has reached a point in his career that he finally gets it.

Its not like we can't sign him to a fair contract and trade him later. For where this team is right now I think we are better off with Stafford on it than another pick or prospect.

Stafford us a decent player that fans have turned on because they expected more from him cause of his salary and draft position. He isn't a superstar, but he isn't Leino either.

Stewart is supposed to be the type of player people want, gritty with the ability to score occasionally, but he has just seemed lazy and disinterested in being here. That's why I would move him for whatever you can get

Stewart has some nice tools, and has had a few awesome moments. But he goes through too many periods of absolute zero.

He's basically Hodgson who can fight.

Stafford isn't what we thought of him in 2011 anymore. He's not a disinterested underachiever, he's just an average middle six NHL winger, OK at most things, great at nothing.

I will be disappointed and surprised if either is not traded prior to the deadline.

What have we learned? Nothing? What in the world has Stewart done on a consistent basis to even justify the thought of an extension at what he's going to cost? Nothing. He is more inconsistent than Stafford. His highs are higher and his lows lower.

Stafford us a decent player that fans have turned on because they expected more from him cause of his salary and draft position. He isn't a superstar, but he isn't Leino either.

Stewart is supposed to be the type of player people want, gritty with the ability to score occasionally, but he has just seemed lazy and disinterested in being here. That's why I would move him for whatever you can get

I agree with this take. I actually think Stafford is better than people give him credit for. He's played well this year (second on team in points per game) and has got more trade value than people think. Stewart is bigger and more physical and drives the net hard when he is motivated... the question is can he stay motivated...

I wouldn't mind if either Stafford or Stewart was resigned. We need some veterans around. We can't have a team of all kids (see Edmonton).

What have we learned? Nothing? What in the world has Stewart done on a consistent basis to even justify the thought of an extension at what he's going to cost? Nothing. He is more inconsistent than Stafford. His highs are higher and his lows lower.

Would this team be worse without Stewart?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.