Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

Thing with the McNabb deal is we traded from a position of strength (young defencemen) to shore up a position of weakness (heavy forwards).

Deslauriers is a piece we can go forward with in the bottom six. He can skate, hit and fight, play defence in a pinch and is learning to kill penalties. He can bring everything Kaleta brought, without the sideshow.

Fasching is a beast down low with some skill. He can be the complementary guy who creates space for Reinhart or some other skilled centre and maybe finish their plays as well.

He is a bit of a boom-or-bust guy, but worth the gamble, given this team's needs.

I make that trade again in a heartbeat.

Thing with the McNabb deal is we traded from a position of strength (young defencemen) to shore up a position of weakness (heavy forwards).

Deslauriers is a piece we can go forward with in the bottom six. He can skate, hit and fight, play defence in a pinch and is learning to kill penalties. He can bring everything Kaleta brought, without the sideshow.

Fasching is a beast down low with some skill. He can be the complementary guy who creates space for Reinhart or some other skilled centre and maybe finish their plays as well.

He is a bit of a boom-or-bust guy, but worth the gamble, given this team's needs.

I make that trade again in a heartbeat.

I think Deslaurier has done a lot to change the culture from last year to this year. We're a more cohesive, meaner team now and he's a part of that.

Fasching could be top 6 or nothing. He's off last year's pace but I still like his skill set.

We also gave up two 2nd round picks in the trade. Those could determine who won the trade as well.

Essentially the reason is because they aren't going to give the Sabres anything valuable.

Holland: "But the fans will love his grey hair and the fact that he's the brother of their former star goalie."

Murray: "Ken, stop calling me."

Garth Snow: "That Tim Murray guy is an idiot. How do you pass on that?"

Edited by Tank

I think Deslaurier has done a lot to change the culture from last year to this year. We're a more cohesive, meaner team now and he's a part of that.

Fasching could be top 6 or nothing. He's off last year's pace but I still like his skill set.

We also gave up two 2nd round picks in the trade. Those could determine who won the trade as well.

Agreed. I think Deslaurier for McNabb straight up has been worth it. Fasching is gravy and he has way more potential than either.

GO SABRES!!!

I've come the conclusion that there is one team and one team only that I can see Tyler Myers being traded to.

The only team willing to pay Murray's price would have to be a team that is a legitimate cup contender right now that needs a big all-situations defence man to put it over the top.

And that team would have to be able to pay the price: an elite prospect or prospects that it I can afford to give up on.

The only team I can see in that position is the Anaheim Ducks, with either Nick Ritchie or John Gibson as the biggest piece in the package coming back this way.

I've come the conclusion that there is one team and one team only that I can see Tyler Myers being traded to.

The only team willing to pay Murray's price would have to be a team that is a legitimate cup contender right now that needs a big all-situations defence man to put it over the top.

And that team would have to be able to pay the price: an elite prospect or prospects that it I can afford to give up on.

The only team I can see in that position is the Anaheim Ducks, with either Nick Ritchie or John Gibson as the biggest piece in the package coming back this way.

Ritchie is an interesting thought.

I still think Dallas could have an interest.

Agreed. I think Deslaurier for McNabb straight up has been worth it. Fasching is gravy and he has way more potential than either.

GO SABRES!!!

Yes, he really is a load out there and if in time he chips in some points he could really make the trade look better. Right now, he is bad with the puck though. Maybe nerves but that pass he took from Ennis last game he totally flubbed it

McCabe and Pysyk made McNabb expendable. Players like McNabb are a dime a dozen so even if Fasching doesn't pan out it was worth the risk. Deslausiers is basically McNabb right now- just at forward.

And can play D if needed. (Like the TB brawl game when we had 3 Dmen in the box)

His name is Nicolas Deslauriers and he's a skating brick house. Right now he's a good 4th liner who can grow into a 3rd liner.

Deslauriers.

Someone compared him to Kaleta upthread and I was going to add "...plus a lot more size." But he and Kaleta are the same height (6-1) and Deslauriers is only about 10 lb. heavier. But his presence is felt more strongly that Kaleta's. Even though they're pretty much the same size, Kaleta seems like a terrier and Deslauriers is more of a doberman. I don't think Hedman would have backed away from Kaleta the way he did from Little Nicky.

Edited by Neuvirths Glove

Yes, he really is a load out there and if in time he chips in some points he could really make the trade look better. Right now, he is bad with the puck though. Maybe nerves but that pass he took from Ennis last game he totally flubbed it

Stone hands to be sure. But that's not his job. He's one of those invaluable glue guys who will get the most of his limited minutes and more often than not be an absolute pain in the ass to play against while he's out there. So in my mind, he's better for us in the role he was acquired for than McNabb was when he was here. If that makes any sense.

GO SABRES!!!

I'm madly in love with the idea of the Sabres getting Dylan Larkin. With Girgensons stepping up this year, Reinhart cruising in the WHL again, Grigorenko doing well in the AHL, Compher doing well at Michigan, and then Larkin off to a stellar start at Michigan this year, the Sabres would have the best center situation that I can remember.

That would mean the Sabres can go straight BPA with their four draft picks in the top 40 come June 2015.

The only drawback is that our defense would suddenly be very suspect with Myers gone and Pysyk and McCabe both struggling this year in the AHL. We'd definitely need another trade to shore up our D with someone we can build around long term.

If we bring in Larkin, he moves to LW in all likelihood.

Friedman: Word is Sabres were looking for mid-level prospect and maybe an AHL player from Flames for Chris Stewart.

Friedman: Teams think Bruins looking to do something. Sabres' Stewart most pronounced name w/ them. Senators too

Friedman apparently said that the Flames had interested but aren't thinking about it now.

Friedman: Word is Sabres were looking for mid-level prospect and maybe an AHL player from Flames for Chris Stewart.

Friedman: Teams think Bruins looking to do something. Sabres' Stewart most pronounced name w/ them. Senators too

It's interesting that so many teams are trying to obtain one of our most underachieving players. Why is Stewart tied to so many rumors?

I don't trade Myers unless we get the better of the deal. I think our top 4 defenseman are taking shape. Yes the goaltending has been great but I'm liking what I see out of both of the kids and Myers and Gorges seems like a good pair. I don't care how many shots teams are getting its all about the quality.

There's no real way to say "we got the better of the deal" unless you get a blatant fleecing like the Vanek deal.

It's interesting that so many teams are trying to obtain one of our most underachieving players. Why is Stewart tied to so many rumors?

6'3", 230, pending UFA, can skate like the wind and score 25 goals playing with the right players.

Always interest, no matter how you are producing at the moment.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.