GDT: Columbus vs Buffalo, 7pm

wjag

Is Darcy back...?

Don't worry Arizona is gonna have their own problem called goal scoring. Plus throw in they play in the western conference and your talking lottery pick.

I thought Myers had a decent game last night. Jumped up in the play nicely.

I thought so to. I just don't know if you move a player like this so early still in his career. But Mantha is pretty darn good and this guy is a goal scorer. If he moved I would guess it has something to do with his contract.

They had a chance last night. The game was still being waged well into the third.

So my question is why did Nolan not pull the goalie? Sup wid dat?

Or did he pull him and I missed it? I was a bit distracted by a phone call during the last four minutes.

I thought the same thing. The only thing I can come up with is that he is fully invested in the Tank.

Completely agree with you guys regarding the media discussing it with players. However when nucci and some others strongly state their opinions of what they think of pro tankers then I don't feel so bad bringing it up. I guess I'll try keeping this taboo topic out of gdt. Last word is I hope some that don't believe in the tank realize that pro tankers are not bad fans and want what you ultimately want, a stanly cup in buffalo.

I understand the thought process. Just disagree with openly rooting for your home team to lose. That's all.

I thought so to. I just don't know if you move a player like this so early still in his career. But Mantha is pretty darn good and this guy is a goal scorer. If he moved I would guess it has something to do with his contract.

Mantha is on his entry level deal with 3 years left... what does this even mean?

Just browsed the thread, but my thoughts:

1) I think it's gonna take Reinhart a little while to settle in (2 or 3 games I'd guess), but he definitely showed flashes last night.

2) Our D got caught out of position a couple of times, but it wasn't too bad

3) Zemgus is the man. He has quickly become my favorite player, and reminds me of a Fred Jackson kind of heart and soul work your ass kind of guy.

4) Can someone tell me what Nolan's system actually is?

Game Thoughts:

Reinhart played exactly like I thought he would. He was hesitant, unsure, a little slow to react. I could see his brain trying to think at game speed. He'll get there.

Zemgus' goal was fantastic! Now name something else he did in the game. I thought for the most part his linemates were playing better until the 3rd period.

I am not sure I noticed our defenders do anything, good or bad. Benoit I noticed a few times because I thought he needed to get better position on the guy in front. Myers had some moments I hadn't seen in awhile.

To me our best forward was Ennis. He was constantly moving and trying to produce. Also that was the only line that really looked like an NHL top 3 line. The rest were very borderline.

I would say Enroth let in a softy but it didn't matter anyways. He stood tall and did his best, Neuvirth would have had us lose 6-0 after the first period.

That was deeply boring hockey. I watched parts of the Penguins game and that was much more entertaining.

Just browsed the thread, but my thoughts:

1) I think it's gonna take Reinhart a little while to settle in (2 or 3 games I'd guess), but he definitely showed flashes last night.

2) Our D got caught out of position a couple of times, but it wasn't too bad

3) Zemgus is the man. He has quickly become my favorite player, and reminds me of a Fred Jackson kind of heart and soul work your ass kind of guy.

4) Can someone tell me what Nolan's system actually is?

Work hard and hope to win.....giving up 40 shots a game is what I remember most about his system.

Oh brother. Be happy about one thing. Zemgus scored a disgusting goal. And the 1 player he walked through at full speed, he tricked hook line and sinker. Yeah, he might have gotten hit had the play ensued differently, but we have no way of knowing that. Nor do we know that it would've been 6-1 if that first Columbus ringer went in.

I have not noticed this dangerous style that he's used for apparently a third of his goals.

He's the Latvian Locomotive.

Did the game sell out last night? I apologize if I missed. that info somewhere upthread.

Most discouraging is getting outshot 2 to 1 on opening night at home against an injury depleted team. All I ask for is positive signs from the young players, but as I look at the current roster, I wonder who that is right now beyond Risto, Zadorov, Rinehart & Girgensons(and two of them will probably be back in juniors by the end of the month). The rest of team is as likely to be gone as they are to remain by the end of the 15-16 season.

As a STH, I see my money being flushed down the toilet right before my eyes.

Please tell me we do not end up like Edmonton. :sick:

Edited by LabattBlue

If we pick 1 or 2 it's still gonna probably be one more season before they could possibly be a playoff squad but in sure it would be pretty darn exciting if McDavid or Eichel are in a Buffalo uniform.

Tank mode is not something you end by throwing a switch. You have to dig your way out. Teams have to learn how win. 2+ years of deliberate sucking doesn't help.

I bring this up because some people obviously think the tank is "half over."

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Most discouraging is getting outshot 2 to 1 on opening night at home against an injury depleted team. All I ask for is positive signs from the young players, but as I look at the current roster, I wonder who that is right now beyond Risto, Zadorov, Rinehart & Girgensons(and two of them will probably be back in juniors by the end of the month). The rest of team is as likely to be gone as they are to remain by the end of the 15-16 season.

As a STH, I see my money being flushed down the toilet right before my eyes.

Please tell me we do not end up like Edmonton. :sick:

As a STH you will have the chance to see some very good players visit the building and shoot a lot.

So I missed the game, due to other commitments, how did Sammie Reinhart play? Did he look lost like he did for portions of training camp? Was he pushed around easily?

He had some nice touches, but hardly a difference maker. He is a pick you apart player on a team without a system. Expect him to look invisible for 8 more games.

I am so sick of this. Tank, McEichle, lottery picks, blah blah blah. This is what a once proud franchise has resorted to. We are better than this.

And please spare me with the"its better then mediocrity and first round exits". No its not. 2 1/2 years AT LEAST of this ###### IS NOT better than looking forward to opening night and enjoying 7+ months of meaningful hockey.

Hoping that at the end of 6 months we are in last or second to last place is embarrassing to both the franchise and the fans.

This won't be a nightly rant. I won't be watching that long. Getting to the point i could care less what happens next June, next year, or 5 years from now. I lost my passion for the Bills awhile ago. Feel it happening with this joke as well.

You will be back next year if they get McDavid or Eichel. I'm looking forward to an opening night when my team can be one of the handful that are true cup contenders.

Enjoy your winter.

I am so sick of this. Tank, McEichle, lottery picks, blah blah blah. This is what a once proud franchise has resorted to. We are better than this.

And please spare me with the"its better then mediocrity and first round exits". No its not. 2 1/2 years AT LEAST of this ###### IS NOT better than looking forward to opening night and enjoying 7+ months of meaningful hockey.

Hoping that at the end of 6 months we are in last or second to last place is embarrassing to both the franchise and the fans.

This won't be a nightly rant. I won't be watching that long. Getting to the point i could care less what happens next June, next year, or 5 years from now. I lost my passion for the Bills awhile ago. Feel it happening with this joke as well.

I don't blame anyone who opts out. This will be an endurance test.

Good healthy rant there, imo, FLA. I agree with what Promo said. I'm not going to rant much about the losses, but I'm interested in seeing how much fortitude the pro-tank folks will have this season. It's going to take some real stick-to-it-iveness to stay positive about the losses. It will be interesting to see how Jeremy White on WGR handles the results, given his assumptions.

I can guarantee you the Resolve is strong, we are bunkered down and we will be here all year.

Lets go Canes! no 3 point game tonight.

oh and Go Hawks!

Tank mode is not something you end by throwing a switch. You have to dig your way out. Teams have to learn how win. 2+ years of deliberate sucking doesn't help.

I don't know about your math, but this is year 2 of the true tank, so if it takes two years after this to dig out...2/4, better known as half over ;)

Edited by TrueBluePhD

He had some nice touches, but hardly a difference maker. He is a pick you apart player on a team without a system. Expect him to look invisible for 8 more games.

Thank you, I just hope he is open to the up's and down's it will take to become the player he can become. I would attach him to Zemgus' hip and have him room, eat, and train with him night and day. There isn't a better example of how to play prepare for the transition to the NHL like Zemgus has done in his time here. His break away (saw on the video's) was a beauty.

If you are talking about my thread title, I was referring to this years draft being the 1/2 way point with the draft next year being the end goal(McDavid/Eichel). I wasn't saying that the Sabres will instantly be great come 15-16.

Probably once there's talent on the roster.

Bucky wrote a good article about 95-96's Hardest Working team In Hockey and drew comparisons with this team (Audette=Gionta, May=Foligno, Peca=Girgs).

That team was low on talent but was always entertaining and was by all accounts was a difficult team to play against. As long as the effort is there and they play a physical game, they'll be fun to watch and easy to cheer for win or lose.

If you want to read it: http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/bucky-gleason/sabres-will-not-take-nights-off-20141010

Edited by Campy

That made me laugh.

I wish I could laugh. Lose 6-5, hit, fight, and show heart, and I will walk away not feeling like I have been bent over. Play like last night, and I will be avoiding the FNC like the plague.

I thought this over the summer, and I continue to believe that there will be more blowouts than close games this year. I was not a Miller fan, but that guy kept a lot of games close last year. Get ready for a LOT of losses by 3 or more goals.

You will be back next year if they get McDavid or Eichel. I'm looking forward to an opening night when my team can be one of the handful that are true cup contenders.

Enjoy your winter.

Very well said. It's about reality versus hope. The reality is, yes the team should be more competitive, but there still is not enough premium talent to make the difference immediately. The horses could be in their stable in the defensive side of things, but there still is a lack of pure goal scoring. I would be nothing more than happy if they make the playoffs, however do I find a likely scenario, no. They've done a good job adding size, grit and character as well as some skill. Looking at the bigger picture, I would rather look like Tampa Bay in the next few seasons than NJ. Who finds a way to stay in the playoff hunt, but really....does not have a sustainable program in the next several seasons. I actually do believe in Tim Murray, for one.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.