Who is the goalie when this team makes a run?

CallawaySabres

Outside of Enroth, I have zero clue as to who is ready to step up when this team is going to have to lock in one of the most important pieces. I am 99% sure that Enroth is not that guy so who will it be? I would love to look to this thread to see who has been playing well and has the most legit shot of stepping into that role. Any insights as to who the Sabres THINK that may be?

Outside of Enroth, I have zero clue as to who is ready to step up when this team is going to have to lock in one of the most important pieces. I am 99% sure that Enroth is not that guy so who will it be? I would love to look to this thread to see who has been playing well and has the most legit shot of stepping into that role. Any insights as to who the Sabres THINK that may be?

Lieuwen first, then Makarov.

I saw a few games of Lieuwen last year, how has he been progressing since? Definitely love the 6'5 frame as I keep thinking Don Edwards is still playing for us.

I think he's looked good. I'm not declaring anyone the next big deal, but I like what I've seen from him as well as Makarov. I'll be interested to see how guys like Ullmark compete as well. We could have a LOT of good goalies in a few years.

Lieuwen's big and a good kid. I'm not sure he's talented enough.

Makarov has looked really shaky at times, but other times he just looks like he has "it."

Hackett reminds me of Dan Cloutier; too intense for his own good. But he's got more ability than he showed last year.

Enroth has got skill and a great mindset. People will always question his size and strength.

Neuvirth may be the most talented of the bunch, but I question his mental game.

I haven't seen the Swedes, Ullmark and Johansson, but it certainly sounds like there's promise there.

I think there is reason to believe someone will emerge, but I haven't got a clue who.

And I still think we need to take this year's Demko/Fucale/Gibson with the first we got from St. Louis, or our early second. Never hurts to add a blue chipper to the system. Given our wealth of high picks, not using one on a goalie is a waste, IMO

Edited by dudacek

Lieuwen's big and a good kid. I'm not sure he's talented enough.

Makarov has looked really shaky at times, but other times he just looks like he has "it."

Hackett reminds me of Dan Cloutier; too intense for his own good. But he's got more ability than he showed last year.

Enroth has got skill and a great mindset. People will always question his size and strength.

Neuvirth may be the most talented of the bunch, but I question his mental game.

I haven't seen the Swedes, Ullmark and Johansson, but it certainly sounds like there's promise there.

I think there is reason to believe someone will emerge, but I haven't got a clue who.

And I still think we need to take this year's Demko/Fucale/Gibson with the first we got from St. Louis, or our early second. Never hurts to add a blue chipper to the system. Given our wealth of high picks, not using one on a goalie is a waste, IMO

I don't see any reason to pick a goalie that early. We have at least 4 already that could start/are starting in the NHL. And three more who are probably close. That's 7 goalies in the system. If we can't make it a few years on that we're idiots.

Makarov - Lieuwen / Ullmark backing him up.

Yes makarov looked shaky sometimes, but lets not forget he jumped 2 leagues at once straight to NHL last year.

And he showed flashes of making saves that should have gone in, of all our goalies he is the only i can see make that kind of saves.

Some consistency in the AHL this year and he is our future goalie.

That being said i haven't seen any games from our swedes.

Edited by Heimdall

I don't see any reason to pick a goalie that early. We have at least 4 already that could start/are starting in the NHL. And three more who are probably close. That's 7 goalies in the system. If we can't make it a few years on that we're idiots.

But goalie building is five-year process and there isn't a blue-chipper right now in our bunch.

I look at the Blues with Jake Allen ready to step in, or the Ducks with John Gibson. I want to take a kid this year and have him in that position five years from now.

By that time, at least five of the goalies we have now will be either established or gone.

If Ullmark has turned into Lundquist in the meantime, great, the kid we take this year turns into great trade bait, just like Corey Schneider and Jonathan Bernier did.

As for the crowd, our prospect list is far more crowded up front than it is in goal.

Ulmark. I think he will be a star. Granted it was from watching his SHL games where Defense is a scarce commodity, but he has Hasek-like athleticism. Makarov has shown similar awareness and athleticism at times, needs consistency. I actually think our goaltending prospects look pretty good.

It's tough to say. I don't think anyone currently in the AHL will be a long term answer. I don't think lieuwen has the skill, and makarov and Hackett are way too inconsistent. However, it's possible soneobe puts it together.

And who knows what we will get from Ullmark, Peterson, and Johannson when they make it to the AHL. But I have more hope for those three prospects than our current three prospects in the minors

Considering the question included "when we make a run" i sure hope that goalie is not currently playing pee wee's somewhere.

You stole my snark! I was about to go do a google search for an image of a Pee Wee goalie. It also could have lured Ghost back to the forum.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.