What would you do with Reinhart?

mjd1001

What would you do with Samson Reinhart?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. From what you know now, would you

• Keep him with the Sabres no matter what. He is the 2nd overall pick he belongs here.
    • Keep him with the Sabres as long as he doesn't look totally out of place.
    • Keep him with the Sabres only if it is clear is he is one of the best 6 forwards RIGHT NOW.
    • Send him to Juniors no matter what. The team doesn't need him now, and he will be better in the long run with a year in Juniors to get stronger and play top minutes every game.

Just for shits and giggles now that management has seen Reinhart up close and in person for development camp, Traverse City, and now training camp what do you think they are thinking?

If given a do over do you think the choice is Draisytl or Bennett? I know this is ridiculously premature but i wonder if behind closed doors they are satisfied with what they have seen. I can't help but think in his small body of work they weren't expecting a little more.

From what i have read and heard he just doesn't jump out at you. Just really concerned that our second overall pick would be drafted mid round in 2013 or 2015.

Just for shits and giggles now that management has seen Reinhart up close and in person for development camp, Traverse City, and now training camp what do you think they are thinking?

If given a do over do you think the choice is Draisytl or Bennett? I know this is ridiculously premature but i wonder if behind closed doors they are satisfied with what they have seen. I can't help but think in his small body of work they weren't expecting a little more.

From what i have read and heard he just doesn't jump out at you. Just really concerned that our second overall pick would be drafted mid round in 2013 or 2015.

As of right now, I think the same that I did a few months ago, that 2nd overall pick this year would have been in the 5-7 range in 2013.

So what does that mean? He is not going to be a 20-30 goal guy or a 60-70 point guy this year, or next year, or maybe even in 3 years. I'm guessing he is likely to be a 15 goal, 40-50 point guy by the time he is 21 years old (yes, 3 years from now), and his 'peak' may be 25 goals, 70 points....and that may not be for 5 more years.

To all those who are thinking he is our 'star' and we need him on the Sabres this year, maybe seeing this little reality check of how long a potential 'star' (not superstar) needs to get used to the NHL is needed.

Who we should be looking for signs to be excited about is Risto, Grigorenko, and Armia....we are more likely to see things to get excited about from them THIS YEAR.

Edited by mjd1001

I can't speak to what management thinks but if given the do over I pick reinhart everyday and twice on Sundays. He will eventually be a very good player for us, I just don't think that time is this season. Is he Mckinnon or mcdavid? No but I am very confident he will be excellent in time and worthy of second overall in most average drafts.

This is my take on him. We all know he's gonna be a very good player but it's obvious he isn't ready to make it in the top 6. I don't want this team pushing him into the nhl and end up with another Grigs situation. I for one think if he was gonna make the squad he would have to stand out like Myers did years ago. And that's not the case right now. I think they will give him a few regular season games but will end up in junior when it's all said and done.

I could be wrong, and I am sure I will be corrected if I am, but he has yet to register a meaningful point in all the junior and exhibition games. That stands out large to me.

I was thinking the same thing the other day. I don't recall hearing him getting a point in prospect camp, Traverse City, and now 3 preseason games. That is 8 games - 5 of which were against prospects. That sucks - no two ways about it.

What concerns me is people are questioning his speed. The last thing a second overall pick should be lacking is speed. You can give me all the hockey IQ crap you want but it don't mean a damn thing if you can't keep up. The fact the we have now drafted two centers with skating issues with our l first round picks is unacceptable.

Andrew Luck was considered one of the smartest QB's in years to come out of college. Do you think he goes #1 if he had a weak arm? My point is you can't teach skill.

I hope we are all overreacting and look stupid down the road. However, when you have had the importance of getting a top tier pick rammed down your throat for the last two years you expect more for your suffering.

Toews had questions about his speed to and got send back to juniors, Samson needs some fine tuning and its best he doest while in juniors.

I agree, I'm not in the "he needs to play against NHL level competition camp". By the sounds of it, he lacks strength and speed - Both of which he can easily work on in juniors.

Without either, he won't learn much at playing against NHL'ers.

If he is indeed slow, then I agree upthread - Drafting another center with skating issues is plain stupid.

Edited by Kristian

I could be wrong, and I am sure I will be corrected if I am, but he has yet to register a meaningful point in all the junior and exhibition games. That stands out large to me.

Maybe because there are no "meaningful points" in juniors or exhibition games.

College, Toews went back to college, where at least he was competing against adults.

Adults in college?

I know the "what to do with Reinhart" was discussed previously. How has he looked thus far? I have listened to all of the games and he appears to be non-existent. What say you?

Was at the game last night, saw him play for the second time and I watched him most of the game. He didn't look awful, but really didn't do anything special at all. I always said I'd want him here only if he looks like he is a top 6 forward right now....and while not terrible, he does NOT look close to being a top 6 forward even on this team.

I haven't seen anything to make me think he looks bad, but everything I see says he shouldn't make the team this year for the whole year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.