How many games per year?

MattPie

27 members have voted

1. 1. How many games do you go to per year?

• I'm out of town, a few in "away" arenas.
    • I live in Buffalo, but can't afford/be bothered to go.
    • 1-10
    • 10-22
    • 23+
    • Out of town, but don't go to the local games.
  2. 2. What about the atmosphere?

• It's a positive, I have a great time!
    • It's fine, but I'm there to watch hockey and I don't care what's going on around me.
    • The fans are too rowdy and takes away from the game.
    • The fans aren't rowdy enough to have a good time.
    • I haven't been to a game in Buffalo recently.

Much of this conversation is driven by people who are regularly in that arena though. I'm kind of curious now about how many games per year people on this board go to. I'd start a poll, but I hate poll threads.

If you like, post where you usually sit in the comments (100s, 300s, owners suite, on the bench (hi drew!))

Edited by MattPie

I go to anywhere between 1 and 8 games a year (I live out of town, but only 2.5 - 3 hours away). I stopped the mini-pack last year due to financial reasons but i'll probably get one next year. I almost always sit in the 300s, near center ice if I can.

and I chose the I'm here to watch hockey option for the second question. I love sitting in the 300s because it seems that people up there are more into the game and more into the team than people in the lower areas. I do care about what's going on around me though. I want to be able to stand up for a good play without having someone yell at me (like what has happened when I sat in the 100s, and there was a breakaway...everyone stood up except the crotchety guy behind me...ass).

Used to have season tix with my dad. Got priced out if it when the goat head (and the new arena) arrived. Now I see maybe one game each year. To be honest, I don't see the value in the price of the entire experience. Parking, tix, gasoline and time to get there and home, concessions. I'd rather watch at home on week nights or watch at a bar on weekends.

23+, between my seats and various work obligations, has been my habit, so that's what I voted. (It is never fun to host in the suite. Never.) Last year, I only went to parts of 3 games, but that's because ###### got real. This year I probably will go to fewer; I have someone who wants to split my 1/2 share so I will only have 10 games in my seats, which is the perfect number for me.

In years past, every game the Sabres play at the Rock in Newark and once at MSG, as well as 1-3 back in Buff with a playoff game in there if applicable. Not this year though. I just couldn't muster up any enthusiasm for it and only made it to one game.

I'm really looking forward to going to Brooklyn to see some hockey.

I usually go to 3-4 of the NYC-area games per year. Not last year though.

I haven't been to a game at the FNC since game 2 of the ECF vs Carolina. That was one of the loudest arenas I've ever heard.

I'd expect the FNC to reawaken once the team gives the fans something to cheer about.

I try to get to at least 1 game each year but it's tough because I have very little free time and money.

I also don't find the NHL experience all that entertaining. Or at least I haven't in quite some time. Which is probably due mostly to the fact that the team is bad.

I remember fans being a lot rowdier in the 90s though. The family friendly approach has kinda doused the tenacity of the fans.

I usually go to 1 or 2 a year. I didn't go at all last year.

I wish our fans were louder. A lot louder. I've only had good experiences seated around friendly people, whether enemy or fellow fan. We usually sit up close to the glass. My brother has a hard on for sniping stubhub deals.

I usually go to 3-4 of the NYC-area games per year. Not last year though.

I haven't been to a game at the FNC since game 2 of the ECF vs Carolina. That was one of the loudest arenas I've ever heard.

I'd expect the FNC to reawaken once the team gives the fans something to cheer about.

Aye. Soon.

Why? Just curious.

Because I spend a lot of time shaking hands, filling drinks, having conversations, and hanging coats, and very little time watching the game. It's like hosting any other type of business event. It's real work, only it starts at 7pm and I'm already tired.

Edited by Eleven

I go to pretty much every game in Raleigh and have gone to a few games in Buffalo while visiting the area. My seats have ranged from the nose bleeds to the top of the 100's to right on the glass depending on if I attend with buddies or family. I love going to games but it's expensive so it's probably a good thing I can only make a few a year. $10+ per beer in the stadium plus a tailgating 12 pack, parking, tickets, gas,and fast food before and after the game usually sets me back a couple hundred bucks each game or more if I'm treating the girlfriend or a family member.

Used to have season tix with my dad. Got priced out if it when the goat head (and the new arena) arrived. Now I see maybe one game each year. To be honest, I don't see the value in the price of the entire experience. Parking, tix, gasoline and time to get there and home, concessions. I'd rather watch at home on week nights or watch at a bar on weekends.

in regards to parking, I always show up a touch early, and park a few blocks up at the M&T parking lot ($3), and then either walk or take the train depending on the weather. That way (coming early and parking there), the train isn't packed on the way in, it's free, and it's much easier to get out and on the 33.

Why? Just curious.

Because I spend a lot of time shaking hands, filling drinks, having conversations, and hanging coats, and very little time watching the game. It's like hosting any other type of business event. It's real work, only it starts at 7pm and I'm already tired.

Yeah. That. I like to invite at least two crazies for some fun though.

The poll options pidgeon hole my situation a little.

1) I'm out of town, so I try to go to as many local away games that I can (1 or 2 if I'm lucky). But I also come home for Christmas, and then I go to every game I can (2-3 usually).

2) The atmosphere could be rowdier, but I'm not turned off by it. I'm usually just happy to be there, usually with family or friends I don't get to see often, and I'll stack a couple of beers and a pretzel on it as well, so I have a great time. So "it's fine, but not because I don't care what's going on around me" or "the fans aren't rowdy enough, but it's enough to not make me not have a good time."

I yield opinion to enthusiastic STHs with good taste, as they have to endure the nightly game presentation and atmosphere 41 games / 3 games ~ 14 times as much as I do.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

I go to every game the Sabres play here in Raleigh. The last time I had to pay for a ticket was Game one of the 2006 ECF.

Do you find them during your raids, or do you ransom the babies you take for them? If the latter, do you usually have to eat one first to set the tone, or do they take you seriously right from the start?

The tickets aren't the expensive part, it's the stay at the Hyatt everytime because let's face it, I'm not going to the game and not having a few overpriced beers. The only nice thing is you Americans have way cheaper booze which makes up a little bit.

Do you find them during your raids, or do you ransom the babies you take for them? If the latter, do you usually have to eat one first to set the tone, or do they take you seriously right from the start?

He ransoms the babies, and then when the hostage exchange meeting occurs, in a brutal act of betrayal, he beheads the Raleigh mayor and his lieutenants, kills all the babies, and then forcefully takes all of the women away to the makeshift rapery in the parking lot, which I'm guessing is a van protected by free giveaway pint glasses.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

The tickets aren't the expensive part, it's the stay at the Hyatt everytime because let's face it, I'm not going to the game and not having a few overpriced beers. The only nice thing is you Americans have way cheaper booze which makes up a little bit.

Hit up those hotel websites. Much cheaper.

Like $87 a night

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.