Official: NHL expanding to Vegas for '17-18

Hoss

There's just no way they'll have an answer to that by the time a recommendation is made (in fact, a recommendation is expected to be made tomorrow).

The Hurricanes owner is refusing to sell to anybody with the intention to move it and also is requiring that whoever buys the team allows him to maintain control. That's highly unlikely and the solution is far away.

I don't think the sources of that report know what they're talking about.

How do you expect to sell the team and maintain control?

You create different classes of shares in the team & keep the ones that have the voting rights.

Doubt he finds a buyer willing to go that way (& his apparently having been searching for a new majority partner for 2 years now bears that out) but at least until he loses the trust fund lawsuit he can continue the search for one.

Lot's of speculation that Las Vegas will be getting a team and enter the league beginning with the 17/18 season.  Enter the Pacific division and must take one player from every team in the expansion draft whom can then be immediately traded thereafter if desired.

By offering minority ownership rights with no control. That's right folks, you have the opportunity to give a rich guy 10's of millions of dollars so he can put it into his struggling franchise in a region full of sister fisters and you won't even have the authority to make any changes with the team. I can't believe people aren't banging down the door to his office.

By offering minority ownership rights with no control. That's right folks, you have the opportunity to give a rich guy 10's of millions of dollars so he can put it into his struggling franchise in a region full of sister fisters and you won't even have the authority to make any changes with the team. I can't believe people aren't banging down the door to his office.

He's actually attempting to sell the majority stake in the franchise while still maintaining control. He already has minority owners and they're all about to pull out and get their money back. He's in a lose-lose spot and needs to just cut his losses and move on.

Lot's of speculation that Las Vegas will be getting a team and enter the league beginning with the 17/18 season.  Enter the Pacific division and must take one player from every team in the expansion draft whom can then be immediately traded thereafter if desired.

They would still need one more team in the West to balance out the conferences.    With 2 extra teams, it's that much harder to make the playoffs in the East.

They would still need one more team in the West to balance out the conferences.    With 2 extra teams, it's that much harder to make the playoffs in the East.

Agreed.  But I think that the other team may come a year or two later.  I've heard Quebec City is in the running but I can't see them playing in the Western Conference so I don't know how the logistics would work.

He's actually attempting to sell the majority stake in the franchise while still maintaining control. He already has minority owners and they're all about to pull out and get their money back. He's in a lose-lose spot and needs to just cut his losses and move on.

Even more ridiculous then. Give 10's of millions of dollars to own a majority of the team and let the guy who owns less than you do make all the decisions. This guys has some balls. No wonder nobody is interested.

Even more ridiculous then. Give 10's of millions of dollars to own a majority of the team and let the guy who owns less than you do make all the decisions. This guys has some balls. No wonder nobody is interested.

That's how the Pens operated for a decade and a half.

They've operated with an odd number of teams and unbalanced divisions before.

But there's lots of talk about Carolina moving lately.  One possibility is to put that team in Seattle.

Another is to put it in Quebec and put Detroit back in the Norris Division where it freaking belongs.

My guess is this all ends with Vegas in 17-18, Seattle whenever they get a stadium and Carolina in Quebec.

Then put the Nords in our division, and either (1) put Detroit in the other division or (2) put both Florida teams in the other division and move Pittsburgh into ours (as was the case for a few years).  All set.

Except it's still too many teams but whatever, it's going to happen.

Not sure if this was mentioned but looks like Carolina borrowed 300 million from the league and the NHL wants the money back. If so, BYE BYE Carolina and your terrible fans....helloooVegas

I believe the actual story is that the Hurricanes owner borrowed money from a trust set in his sons' names to pay the league and his sons are suing for the money (story link was shared here somewhere). The Hurricanes situation is too far away from a conclusion with a decision on expansion already set by the end of this month (recommendation was made yesterday, decision expected June 22nd).

The Hurricanes won't impact Vegas, they'll impact Quebec and/or Seattle.

They've operated with an odd number of teams and unbalanced divisions before.

But there's lots of talk about Carolina moving lately.  One possibility is to put that team in Seattle.

Another is to put it in Quebec and put Detroit back in the Norris Division where it freaking belongs.

I'd actually like to see some contraction, but that will never happen under Bettman.    The talent level is too watered down and some markets with very weak fan bases, now they want to water it down even more.     The quality of the product on the ice is not where it was 20-30 years ago, and the league is suffering because of it IMO.

I'd actually like to see some contraction, but that will never happen under Bettman.    The talent level is too watered down and some markets with very weak fan bases, now they want to water it down even more.     The quality of the product on the ice is not where it was 20-30 years ago, and the league is suffering because of it IMO.

Couldn't agree more.

30 years ago was 1986 which was prior to the Berlin Wall falling & the explosion of Eastern European players flooding in. Yes, there were only 21 teams but there were almost no Americans nor Eastern Europeans in the league then. The league has grown a lot since then, but the talent pool has grown more.

You REALLY think that Detroit's 40 point season, or the other FIVE teams that ended up w/ 50 some points put on a better "quality of product?" Not a ####ing chance.

30 years ago was 1986 which was prior to the Berlin Wall falling & the explosion of Eastern European players flooding in. Yes, there were only 21 teams but there were almost no Americans nor Eastern Europeans in the league then. The league has grown a lot since then, but the talent pool has grown more.

You REALLY think that Detroit's 40 point season, or the other FIVE teams that ended up w/ 50 some points put on a better "quality of product?" Not a ####ing chance.

Yeah. This is largely why I just don't get with the "too little talent" to go around perspective. There's plenty of talent.

Yeah. This is largely why I just don't get with the "too little talent" to go around perspective. There's plenty of talent.

Look at the third and fourth lines of bottom-10 teams and you will see plenty of players who don't belong in the NHL.

Look at the third and fourth lines of bottom-10 teams and you will see plenty of players who don't belong in the NHL.

I'm not about to actually do what I'm suggesting, but if we looked the 3rd and 4th lines of the bottom 5 teams in the league from 3 decades ago, what would we find?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.