Official: NHL expanding to Vegas for '17-18

Hoss

I think the consideration has been hinted at, but I'd imagine there would be a lot of pushback from players because of the travel involved. I do think it makes a lot of sense from a single year perspective, but I do have a bit of traditionalist in me and like rivalries that emerge from divisions and conferences mattering. I could go either way with this stuff.

And these leagues are never going to create a truly balanced schedule.  The travel would be too difficult with that.  Without a balanced schedule, a format with the top 16 would not work. 

I hate outside the box thinking, to be perfectly honest. 

Just move Columbus to the West and switch Carolina with Florida and Tampa division wise. 

Lastly add a 24th roster spot to all the teams. Then a team can carry 2 Fs and 2 Ds extra.

There's no need for radical changes or convoluted systems, add two teams and be done with it for another 15 or so years.

I hate outside the box thinking, to be perfectly honest.

Just move Columbus to the West and switch Carolina with Florida and Tampa division wise.

Lastly add a 24th roster spot to all the teams. Then a team can carry 2 Fs and 2 Ds extra.

There's no need for radical changes or convoluted systems, add two teams and be done with it for another 15 or so years.

"I hate outside the box thinking..."

"Add a random extra roster spot that nobody has brought up in this discussion."

:p

I guess Napoleon wasn't happy with the results of the applicants. It's quite apparent who he wants in the league, if he's going to push to try and get Seattle to join and I were Quebec, I would pursue a lawsuit to get my $2,000,000 back.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/798068

Is that the first time "Napoleon" was used to describe Bettman?

It's a perfect fit, and if your the originator, well done!

I guess Napoleon wasn't happy with the results of the applicants. It's quite apparent who he wants in the league, if he's going to push to try and get Seattle to join and I were Quebec, I would pursue a lawsuit to get my $2,000,000 back.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/798068

He won't have to do any pushing. There are ownership groups in Seattle that want a team and the city supports the idea. There just wasn't enough time to get it all together for the downtown arena or for the Tukwila one.

Quebec would have no argument for getting their money back, nor do I think they care about the $2M. Especially if the league says "no, but you're number one on our list for relocation."

Gary has already commented there is no difference of a 17-15 breakdown compared to the current 16-14 conference breakdown.

That will leave a opening to move Arizona, Carolina or Florida to the Seattle area if needed or really to still allow Seattle and Portland to have expansion teams enter the league.

Is that the first time "Napoleon" was used to describe Bettman?

It's a perfect fit, and if your the originator, well done!

Nah, can't take credit for it. My friend calls him that all the time and I thought it was kinda clever..... and very fitting.

So it looks like we've got two years left of hockey in Glendale:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/glendale/2015/07/23/glendale-proposed-coyotes-arena-deal/30578215/

The new deal, if approved, will expire in 2017... Just in time for them to move to another city along with the league's two new expansion teams.

If the city of Arizona doesn't save them there's no doubt in my mind they're elsewhere in 2017-18.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/glendale/2015/07/23/glendale-proposed-coyotes-arena-deal/30578215/

The new deal, if approved, will expire in 2017... Just in time for them to move to another city along with the league's two new expansion teams.

If the city of Arizona doesn't save them there's no doubt in my mind they're elsewhere in 2017-18.

It's all falling into place. Expansion to QC and LV, relocation to Seattle.

The Suns are in the market for a new arena downtown and there is talk about making it for both hockey and basketball.  The city of PHX would like the Yotes to move back to downtown so this is good news for me on the deal if they can swing it for the team to play downtown. 

The Suns are in the market for a new arena downtown and there is talk about making it for both hockey and basketball.  The city of PHX would like the Yotes to move back to downtown so this is good news for me on the deal if they can swing it for the team to play downtown. 

Have heard the same from reporters. But it'll be interesting. Whatever happens I imagine we'll know well before that offseason, so Phoenix will likely have to get the arena act together quick (same with Seattle).

With the wildcards, it's really moot.

I'm not sure how that relates to the topic of a top 16 format though.  The wild cards are fine given that the schedules aren't too different within conference.  It's that east vs. west direct comparison that is always going to be trouble given the restraints of travel budgets on scheduling.

That and expansion right in time for the NHL's 100th anniversary.  How convenient.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.