Official: NHL expanding to Vegas for '17-18

Hoss

NHL comes out very strong in their response...

Bill Daly on NY Post report regarding Coyotes moving to Vegas: ``The most ridiculous and irresponsible story I have ever been ... (con't)

``... associated with. Has never been contemplated or discussed. Not even notionally.'' end quote

NHL comes out very strong in their response...

Bill Daly on NY Post report regarding Coyotes moving to Vegas: ``The most ridiculous and irresponsible story I have ever been ... (con't)

``... associated with. Has never been contemplated or discussed. Not even notionally.'' end quote

That MUST mean it's true.

That MUST mean it's true.

Somebody made a good point: the Coyotes are currently dealing with litigation involving the city of Glendale. The NHL obviously can't and won't comment on the future of the team right now.

In my opinion, the ideal situation is for Las Vegas, Seattle, Houston, Quebec City, and Toronto to get NHL teams.

2 of these teams can be by expansion, and the other 3 can be by relocation of the Coyotes, Panthers, and Hurricanes (the 3 NHL teams struggling the most right now...by a wide margin).

Then realign the 32-team league as follows: Quebec City and Toronto #2 go to the Atlantic Division, Tampa Bay moves to the Metropolitan Division, Seattle and L.V. go to the Pacific Division, and Houston goes to the Central Division.

That's the first time I've ever seen Carolina listed as a team that is really struggling, by a wide margin even. Looking through the last few years of attendance, this was the only weak season. I'd think the league would be far more worried about other situations before theirs.

I just don't see Houston being a big hockey market.

It's the fourth or fifth biggest market in the US, and Dallas does fine.  It's not a bad idea at all -- even if they just did it to stir up a rivalry with the Stars.

Basically any city that isn't Vegas though...

I think an expansion team in the NW(Portland or Seattle) would do great.  Then, move the Coyotes to Vegas, and the Panthers to Quebec or Toronto.   That being said, I'd be interested to see if Houston could support an NHL team.  If they can, move the Panthers there instead.  Hockey in South Florida is a joke.  

It's the fourth or fifth biggest market in the US, and Dallas does fine.  It's not a bad idea at all -- even if they just did it to stir up a rivalry with the Stars.

Houston would be a great hockey market. They aught to do it. 

I live in the Dallas area. Houston =/= Dallas.

I'm curious to see how a Las Vegas team will fare. They seem to have local fan support and with the tourism and corporate support and ticket giveaways they should do well financially but I'd also rather see a city like Milwaukee get a team over a city known more for hipsters and emo musicians Seattle or Portland.

I don't like expansion. I used to know every player in the league back in the day. Adding another 40+ players to the league will make me feel old. 

And I'm against feeling old.

Expansion is fine now that we are stacked at center. It will make our team all the more talented in comparison to the watered down rest of the league. Plus with all the expansion fees and increase in revenues it should cause the cap to go up and allows us to keep the guys we want to hold onto long term. We just need to acquire a blue chip LHD to replace Zadorov and hope Murray wasn't blinded by familiarity with Lehner.

Expansion is fine now that we are stacked at center. It will make our team all the more talented in comparison to the watered down rest of the league. Plus with all the expansion fees and increase in revenues it should cause the cap to go up and allows us to keep the guys we want to hold onto long term. We just need to acquire a blue chip LHD to replace Zadorov and hope Murray wasn't blinded by familiarity with Lehner.

We just need the expansion to happen as soon as possible.  Let's get in under the wire before some of these kids are even eligible for the expansion draft.

Expansion fees, I believe count 0% towards the cap. That is straight cash for the owners.

Yes, but the cap is based off league revenues and if they are taking tickets sales from 32 venues instead of 30 it's going to be a higher number, especially since the new teams will likely sell out their first few years minimum if for no other reason than the excitement of having a new team.

We just need the expansion to happen as soon as possible.  Let's get in under the wire before some of these kids are even eligible for the expansion draft.

I agree. I'll draft up a memo and you make sure it gets to Bettman. Seattle, KC, Milwaukee, Vegas, Quebec, and Toronto part 2. Florida and Phoenix become 2 of the previously listed cities with 4 new teams. Expansion draft will be held next month and anyone still under ELC is exempt.

I'm curious to see how a Las Vegas team will fare. They seem to have local fan support and with the tourism and corporate support and ticket giveaways they should do well financially but I'd also rather see a city like Milwaukee get a team over a city known more for hipsters and emo musicians Seattle or Portland.

The ECHL Wranglers drew well in LV. So did the Aeros in Houston for a time.

I just don't see Houston being a big hockey market.

I think Houston definitely deserves a shot:

1. Fifth largest metro area in the United States.

2. NHL-caliber arena already present with the 11-year old Toyota Center.

3. Hockey tradition with the WHA Aeros of the 1970's plus decades of minor league hockey.

4. Instant rivalry with the Dallas Stars whom are somewhat geographically isolated from the rest of the NHL.

5. A central time zone city that helps with division balance so teams like Columbus and Detroit aren't forced to move back into the Western Conference.

Houston's ONLY problem right now is a lack of ownership interested in bringing the NHL to the city...kind of a big problem....but that could easily change in the same way Terry Pegula wasn't even on the WNY radar 6+ years ago.

That's the first time I've ever seen Carolina listed as a team that is really struggling, by a wide margin even. Looking through the last few years of attendance, this was the only weak season. I'd think the league would be far more worried about other situations before theirs.

Carolina is a fair-weather hockey city, so expect attendance in future seasons to look a lot like last year. I don't see the team beating out the Rangers, Islanders, Caps, or Penguins for a long while. And how many seasons of poor attendance will ownership be willing to absorb? Raleigh is not the same-sized TV market as Miami or Phoenix, so I'm not sure Bettman will fight for the Hurricanes in the same way that he has been for the Coyotes and Panthers.

I think Houston definitely deserves a shot:

...Houston's ONLY problem right now is a lack of ownership interested in bringing the NHL to the city...kind of a big problem....but that could easily change in the same way Terry Pegula wasn't even on the WNY radar 6+ years ago.

I just don't see an owner popping up in Houston that will fight harder for a franchise than one in a more northern location like KC or Seattle. And despite Houston and Dallas being in the same state, the climate is radically different; Houston is Gulf Coast- more like Florida. Dallas is a plains city, closer to say, Oklahoma City, in terms of climate, including actual freezing weather and snow and stuff (not much, but some). There is an outdoor ice rink that opens in the winter months here in Ft. Worth.

Speaking of OKC, I would expect they'd be more likely to get an NHL franchise and support it than Houston.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.