Most Disappointing Sabre of All Time

IKnowPhysics

68 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the most disappointing Sabre of all time?

If we are going to take this beyond players and name coaches/front office, I don't think there is any bigger disappointment than John Rigas.

This is the reason I can't put Hasek or Peca on the list. As mad as I was at both of them at the time, I now completely understand their position. They didn't quit on the team, the team quit on them.

....obviously a strong recency effect to poll responses.

It's not my fault you and your ilk are old as dirt :P

Seriously though, my first real Sabres memory is Mayday, and I didn't follow the sport very closely at all until the mid-90s. Leino isn't outrageous given that time frame.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

If we're talking busts, I might throw out Shawn Anderson (5th overall in 1986).

And, then there were a bunch of 1st round picks like David Cooper (11th overall in 1992) who couldn't even crack the Sabres' lineup.

There was a reason 10 teams passed on him.

The only disappointment that should be there is for not being the 11th to pass.

WTF does that mean?

I don't know how it was received at the time, but Tim Horton killed himself driving drunk and on drugs. More disappointing that Perrault, no? Am I misreading the thread title? Sorry.

You know what? Maybe Tim Horton is too disappointing, even to be mentioned in a most disappointing Sabre of all time thread, so forget what I said. I change my vote to Clint Malarchuk.

If that's too disappointing for you, then I'll go with Hasek, cause he if he wasn't flopping, he could have saved Brett Hull's shot. Yeah, Hasek, is my vote. Big time flopper.

Edited by Yuri Olesha

Dude, everyone in the NHL during Perreault's time smoked. A lot still do.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2012/02/29/players-smokingcigarettesnhlhockey

These guys might be athletes but they love their smokes.

This got me thinking about a time I was visiting a friend at college (UB) and we were sitting outside a bar (PJ Bottom's I think? Not sure)...and someone came up behind me and asked if I had a lighter they could use.

I turned around to find...JP Losman and Lee Evans. Lol. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Same thing happened in Rochester once, but it ended up being Chris Thorburn.

As for most disappointing, I think they are a lot of them...but Ville Leino has to top the list.

I don't know how it was received at the time, but Tim Horton killed himself driving drunk and on drugs. More disappointing that Perrault, no? Am I misreading the thread title? Sorry.

You know what? Maybe Tim Horton is too disappointing, even to be mentioned in a most disappointing Sabre of all time thread, so forget what I said. I change my vote to Clint Malarchuk.

If that's too disappointing for you, then I'll go with Hasek, cause he if he wasn't flopping, he could have saved Brett Hull's shot. Yeah, Hasek, is my vote. Big time flopper.

The drugs were pain killers for the jaw he broke 3 nights earlier. Had a few pops visiting relatives after the game in TO. That's why he drove rather than ride w/ the team.

The driving was dumb but not uncommon back in those days. Had he realized what the interactions between the meds and the alcohol would do, things would have been different.

Hard to compare it to even something like Vince Neil killing his buddy driving all coked up. Back in the '70's, they'd literally have 'one for the road.'

This got me thinking about a time I was visiting a friend at college (UB) and we were sitting outside a bar (PJ Bottom's I think? Not sure)...and someone came up behind me and asked if I had a lighter they could use.

I turned around to find...JP Losman and Lee Evans. Lol. I couldn't believe my eyes.

As for most disappointing, I think they are a lot of them...but Ville Leino has to top the list.

Speaking of JP Losman, I had a roommate in college who was a bartender and apparently he came into her bar one time with his girlfriend and proceeded to directly hit on/talk himself up to her in front of his own girlfriend. A gentleman and scholar.

Road pops. Perreault's cigarettes, pffft.

OK, I think I'm getting the hang of this. Personally, I had very high expectations for Connolly, and those expectations turned to hopes, and those hopes lingered on, even as the more perceptive among us had given up. He disappointed me.

I didn't have any expectations for Ville, and barely had hope.

Lately, Sabres feelings are so complicated. If we're hoping they lose, are we disappointed when they win? Also, I resent the fracking owner, so I should want him to lose, right. But he makes it like he's getting a prize for it, so should I want him to win now? We're the envy of the league? I've heard so many repeat it, and OMG Jeremy Freaking White, I have to shut you off before I go insane.

I had pretty high expectations for Miroslav Satan too but those faded more quickly. Zhitnik was sort of disappointing too. Meyers, still hoping.

We used to have road beers in college. Mind you we weren't driving or anything like that but instead walking to the bars or an off campus house from our fraternity house.

One kind soul even put out a "bottle bin" because they thought they would capitalize on the 100's of students walking to the bars each night and reduce the litter. 100 people with two bottles each adds up. Granted they had to illegally return them in OH or NY seeing as PA doesn't have redemption.

In a few more years Myers is really have to grow into his own or he'll be the most mediocre player that people had high hopes for in Sabres history.

Well, my personal choice would be Christian Ruutu. A second line center that scored something like two goals all season.

Honorable mentions: Drew Stafford, Jari Dudichek (spelling?), Dave Andrechuck in the playoffs, Doug Bodger for what we gave up for him, Brad May never turned into Cam Nealy,

I met Mike Hartman at the Steer there on Main st in like 1991 right after the Sabres had been eliminated by Canadians. He was with his really nice girlfriend who had big boobs, but was a sweet girl, and he was hitting on this other girl when she wasn't looking, lol. Edited by bob_sauve28

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.