ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Hoss

I have no problems with this fad, but I also don't like people pressuring people into donating.

I don't think anybody is actually pressuring others. I didn't nominate my friends with a true demand. It's a suggestion for the most part. A suggestion that otherwise wouldn't have happened without the videos.

Edited by Tankalicious

I'll take "worst analogies of all time" for $100, Alex.

Person asking asking another person to do something that everyone else is doing.

No ones saying it's bad like smoking, and you call people's analogies bad a lot here lol. But I don't like people publicly asking people to donate or dump water ok their heads. People are doing this as people love attention, fads, and making video of themselves. However, any money it raises is great.

I appreciate this stance. I donate to several charities a year. I don't need my hand forced by some Internet fad.

That's kind of the way I see it. If the person who challenged me presses the issue, I plan on saying 1. I'm not dunking a bucket over my head, and 2. Whether or not I decided to donate to this particular charity is a personal matter and no one else's business.

My problem with this whole challenge thing is that it essentially requires that someone assumes that I don't or have not already donated. "I know he probably didn't give any money so I'll challenge him! Hurrrrrr!"

That's my issue. The challenge is an accusation.

Alright, Scrooge. Nobody is accusing you of anything.

I've heard some legitimate complaints about this thing, but this crosses into snotty child territory. "But I already donated and he picked me. Wah!"

That's kind of the way I see it. If the person who challenged me presses the issue, I plan on saying 1. I'm not dunking a bucket over my head, and 2. Whether or not I decided to donate to this particular charity is a personal matter and no one else's business.

I like this expanded version of your original view. Can respect that.

Edited by Tankalicious

This whole business reminds me about a fund drive my church had. They hired a consultant to direct the fund drive and the consultant had members of the church get up before the church and declare how much the church meant to them, followed by, "And that's why I'm donating $25,000 [or whatever] to the campaign." It just seemed so manipulative and slimy. We no longer go to that church and the taste that left in my mouth is one of the reasons.

This challenge seems the same way.

My problem with this whole challenge thing is that it essentially requires that someone assumes that I don't or have not already donated. "I know he probably didn't give any money so I'll challenge him! Hurrrrrr!"

That's my issue. The challenge is an accusation.

I feel that way when the Jehovah's Witnesses come to the door. Why do they assume I need saving? Yeah, there's the 666 tat on my forehead...

Little known historical fact: Lou Gehrig first fell ill after being doused by a bucket of cold water in the lockerroom after hitting a game-winning home run.

Alright, Scrooge. Nobody is accusing you of anything.

I've heard some legitimate complaints about this thing, but this crosses into snotty child territory. "But I already donated and he picked me. Wah!"

Foolish. The selection process isn't random. Someone decides they'd rather dump a bucket of water on their head than donate $100, and then passes to buck to someone they assume will also elect to dump water on themselves in order to get out of paying some higher dollar amount. It deliberately encourages you to target people who you consciously believe would be inclined to dump water on themselves in order to escape the burden of giving a few extra dollars. By being selected you're being accused of being cheap by your "friend", because they want to see you take an ice bath too. But boy wont they be surprised when you just pay up and skip the ice bucket!

What a crock.

Some of you are way over thinking this. Yes, it's a stupid internet fad, but it has also worked to raise a lot of money for a worthy cause. Most people will not care or remember if you are nominated and choose not to participate and/or donate. If anyone does call you out beyond that in a serious way, then that person is a douche, and I submit that everyone should follow a strict ZFG policy when it comes to people exhibiting extreme douchebaggery.

Edited by Claude_Verret

Some of you are way over thinking this. Yes, it's a stupid internet fad, but it has also worked to raise a lot of money for a worthy cause. Most people will not care or remember if you are nominated and choose not to participate and/or donate. If anyone does call you out beyond that in a serious way, then that person is a douche, and I submit that everyone should follow a strict ZFG policy when it comes to people exhibiting extreme douchebaggery.

The way I see it is the good part of it is it is raising money for a worthy charity. The bad is that some of that money had been earmarked for other worthy charities which will now get fewer $'s. My expectation is that the good part will hopefully be an order of magnitude greater than the bad.

Another good part is that we're getting some young people that wouldn't necessarily think about charitable giving (that's what gubmint is for :rolleyes:) now joining in. Another bad part is that we're getting another way for sanctimonious people to act like they are doing their part (had bucket of cold water dropped on head, made a difference but obviously no donation), but really are doing jack squat (again, no donation). It would be better if those actually helped at a shelter or hospital, but that is what it is, and I'd expect this good outweighs the downside as well.

And when all is said & done, it'll probably have a life expectancy of the #bringourgirlsback but will at least have raised some money for a good cause.

Edited by Taro T

This whole business reminds me about a fund drive my church had. They hired a consultant to direct the fund drive and the consultant had members of the church get up before the church and declare how much the church meant to them, followed by, "And that's why I'm donating $25,000 [or whatever] to the campaign." It just seemed so manipulative and slimy. We no longer go to that church and the taste that left in my mouth is one of the reasons.

This challenge seems the same way.

I would trust a stranger making a video before I would trust a church.

I would trust a stranger making a video before I would trust a church.

No, the church spent the money exactly as they said they would, that wasn't the problem. What I had a problem with was that they used such obvious emotional manipulation (when it normally wasn't in that particular church's normal tone).

10440756_10152320549592499_8693476260726196411_n.jpg

Imagine the amount of pressure on ALS researchers after this? It will be time to really kick it into gear. I also hope that we don't see stories of executives in the ALS Foundation getting hefty raises.

If, in 2-3 years time, we see some significant progress on this issue then all the naysayers will be proven wrong. But I don't think they will mind looking foolish on something like that.

Edited by Tankalicious

Imagine the amount of pressure on ALS researchers after this? It will be time to really kick it into gear. I also hope that we don't see stories of executives in the ALS Foundation getting hefty raises.

If, in 2-3 years time, we see some significant progress on this issue then all the naysayers will look like idiots. But I don't think they will mind looking foolish on something like that.

This post would be much less vitriolic if this word wasn't used

Silly social media ice bucket stunt goes viral, and causes 8-figure increase in donations to ALSA.ORG -- $10 of which is my oldest's babysitting money and $5 of which is from the next born's allowance stash.

The phenomenon also causes exponential increase in smiles, chuckles, and high fives. Another collateral benefit: my social media feeds are dominated by support for research into and treatment of ALS, which cuts down on the presence of vain selfies, first world gripes, and inane political platitudes.

Then comes the inevitable blowback from some combination of knee jerk cynics, curmudgeons, smarter than thou's, holier than thou's, don't tread on me's, and garden variety a s sholes.

I'm not letting that take the shine off of this. Somewhere around 13 or 15 million raised because of this benign and fun stunt. Sometimes good people need a mustard seed sized nudge of inspiration, imagination in order to do a thing they should have otherwise done. That was the case for me.

I say: All praise, or shaddup.

I'm really glad this is doing so much good. I just don't think anyone I'm associated with on social media has donated ######. Maybe I need better friends. :(

I don't doubt that there's a number of people who're just doing the ice bucket thing, not the ALS ice bucket thing. Some of them might be legitimate turds who won't throw a few bucks at the cause -- some might have just lost something in translation. Whatever. The larger point, the relevant point is the good that's being done.

I posted "Go BC" upthread. Here's why (I cannot recommend watching the piece enough):

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11366483

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.