NHL Logo Rankings

Claude_Verret

Interesting story behind how they were named "Flyers". Also some grumbling about the Sabres still being in it in the comments.

But (Bill) Putnam and Snider don’t remember anything grabbing them until one night on the New jersey Turnpike when Snider, his wife, his sister Phyllis and her husband Earl Foreman, and the Putnam’s stopped at a Howard Johnson’s, ordered from the list of 28 flavors, and kicked around some similar number of names.

On their way home after seeing a Broadway show, they were looking for a stopper name for their hockey team. “I was thinking of people skating and sliding around the ice,” Phyllis recalls, “and the ‘Flyers’ just popped into my head. Everybody thought it was great.”

According to that story, other names that were submitted included Greenbacks, Liberty Bell, Philly-Billies, Blizzards, Bashers, Sabres and Bruisers.

:o

Interesting story behind how they were named "Flyers". Also some grumbling about the Sabres still being in it in the comments.

:o

The names "Bashers" and "Bruisers" certainly would have been more appropriate... :rolleyes:

Also, slightly off-off-topic - has anyone seen the new Tampa Bay Bucs uniforms? Horrid. :sick:

Edited by Sabre Dance

Sounds like they don't even know how it made it that far.

Dissenting opinion: “I really have no idea how this ended up at No. 9, but here we are. I move that any THN staffer who had a hand in placing this one in the top 10 should never have a vote in logo rankings again!” – Rory Boylen

Yeah, I'm guessing that this guy had it in the bottom five, and I'd imagine a few of the remaining six must have had it middle of the pack, so a few guys at THN must believe this is a top 5 NHL logo.

I could see Chicago passing them. But out of those teams remaining, it is top two IMO, and the Sabres would come next.

The rest of the final six is utterly baffling :P

Yes Mhm oui I concur. (Except I put St. Louis in great standing).

Edited by Tankalicious

I could see Chicago passing them. But out of those teams remaining, it is top two IMO, and the Sabres would come next.

I LOVED the Blues logo when it had the red trim. Nowadays I think I dislike it only because they dropped the red!

glxp9zgg8q7mryq3pdpg07i3g.gif

I'm with Chicago too. They regularly win the kind of polls. The crazy amount of colors used is what usually puts it over the top.

At this point is pick Arizona as my dark horse. There's just something about the simplicity of their uniforms in general which really won me over when they first came out.

I'm with Chicago too. They regularly win the kind of polls. The crazy amount of colors used is what usually puts it over the top.

At this point is pick Arizona as my dark horse. There's just something about the simplicity of their uniforms in general which really won me over when they first came out.

I'm going with the D... because #### the D of course it will win even if it looks like crap.

also I know exactly what I wrote and how it sounds.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.