Front Office Changes, Including Rob Murphy Joining Sabres Scouting Staff from Ottawa

Brawndo

Of course Dwight would make sure assistant to the GM becomes Assistant GM.

Does this affect Devine?

Very nice.

Over/under on date when Sabres part ways with Devine?

I'm guessing they let him stick around, keep the AGM title and collect a paycheck while staying active in the NHL this season but he's gone sometime in the summer of 2015. They're going to be nice about it and he's not going to get AGM anywhere else this summer.

Separately: I would've expected some more action in this thread following a few relatively big front office moves. Where's the spirit, gentlemen?

I don't see a reason to fire/remove Devine. He has been doing a good job since Pegula expanded the scouting staff, lots of upside having him on the payroll.

I would expect him to take an unofficial demotion here, and then look to land in a hockey department where he's with some of "his" people. It just seems to be how that industry works. It also seems like that's what the Sabres are allowing him to do by keeping him on.

I don't see a reason to fire/remove Devine. He has been doing a good job since Pegula expanded the scouting staff, lots of upside having him on the payroll.

I would expect him to take an unofficial demotion here, and then look to land in a hockey department where he's with some of "his" people. It just seems to be how that industry works. It also seems like that's what the Sabres are allowing him to do by keeping him on.

This.

In order for Devine to stay on, he has to want to still be with the Sabres. Considering TM has brought in several of 'his' people, it would make sense Devine's role here will/has been diminished and tht he'd 'rather be with his own.'

Like mentioned above, I'd expect him to leave early next summer. And my guess would be right after the draft unless there is a major shakeup somewhere else before that and somebody is eyeing him for GM wherever that shakeup occurs.

I don't think Devine leaves right away or this coming summer unless he gets pushed out or gets a title demotion, and I don't think that'll happen.

Presume Devine has his own reasonable career interests. He either wants to keep his job or he wants to get promoted. So he either stays or he gets promoted to GM of another team. What are Devine's best chances to get hired? AFTER the demonstrated rebuild occurs, not during or immediately after the big draft. His resume will be most more impressive when the rebuild-by-draft that he has a large hand in is completed and shows signs of working, and he gets credit for immense drafting prowess. Not before.

I don't think Devine leaves right away or this coming summer unless he gets pushed out or gets a title demotion, and I don't think that'll happen.

Presume Devine has his own reasonable career interests. He either wants to keep his job or he wants to get promoted. So he either stays or he gets promoted to GM of another team. What are Devine's best chances to get hired? AFTER the demonstrated rebuild occurs, not during or immediately after the big draft. His resume will be most more impressive when the rebuild-by-draft that he has a large hand in is completed and shows signs of working, and he gets credit for immense drafting prowess. Not before.

There's internal logic to what you are saying. My guess is that he's okay with being an AGM or head of some department and is a known commodity to the people who will be hiring him. I don't think he sticks (or needs to stick) around with Murray's crowd in order to pad his resume.

Yadda yadda.

I just want to give a shout-out to your avatar. The heck is it?

Darned if I know. I can't even remember how I found it ... some Google image search for a play off my revised screen name (which I changed once I saw that there was a "Sabre Dance" who'd come before me)? It looks like a bird of some kind. With figure skates. On ice. With purple socks.

Johnny Weir! :)

At first I was like "who?" Then I remembered. He's just marvelous.

I think it is Darcys protype of a hockey player.

:lol:

The problem with Devine as Murray's right hand is Devine's skill set seems to be similar to his boss's rather than complementary.

I would also imagine Murray has taken direct control of a lot of things Devine probably had a lot of freedom to do himself under Darcy.

I think a parting was always inevitable and will happen as soon as Devine finds the right fit.

Depends on how bad he considers his toes are getting stepped on w/all the new guys coming on w/ roles that seem to be where his were under the past regieme whether he stays for a while or bolts.

But it's a pretty small community & I'd be surprised that people 'in the know' don't already have a well established opinion of him and where/how the bulk of his picks will pan out.

Edited by Taro T

Excellent post. I do think though that he will jump as soon as he gets offered an AGM role elsewhere that is more meaningful than the one he now has here.

OK, here's something else: is anyone concerned that with TM, his new director of scouting and his new director of amateur scouting, the Sabres have really gone all in on modeling themselves after the Senators of the past 4-5 years, which hasn't really been a very good team?

(OTOH, both AGMs and the Director of Pro Scouting have been with the Sabres for a long time.)

OK, here's something else: is anyone concerned that with TM, his new director of scouting and his new director of amateur scouting, the Sabres have really gone all in on modeling themselves after the Senators of the past 4-5 years, which hasn't really been a very good team?

(OTOH, both AGMs and the Director of Pro Scouting have been with the Sabres for a long time.)

The Senators would be better if they hadn't spent as much time trying to be mediocre. Tim seems more impatient than his father and that might be a good reason for why he was willing to leave the Sens. They draft well and the B-Sens are always good, but they never made that work for them in the NHL.

I can't say I'm concerned with GM TM's FO resembling the Ott'wa FO. It's inevitable that it would be so. Either Tim can do better than his uncle (sorry, d4rk), or he can't. I'm willing to trust and believe that he can.

Sorry but I am going to complain....

WTF? You couldn't spell any of that out? Hell Ottawa all you had to do was hit A instead of ' . Seriously people, don't over abbreviate, it makes it harder to read and understand the board.

The thought of your post I however agree with.

WTF? You couldn't spell any of that out? Hell Ottawa all you had to do was hit A instead of ' . Seriously people, don't over abbreviate, it makes it harder to read and understand the board.

The thought of your post I however agree with.

You should be sorry. He wasn't abbreviating. He was giving the phonetic spelling.

WTF? You couldn't spell any of that out?

Thanks for the laugh.

I did not over-abbreviate. In fairness, I do more of it now that the site works well on my phone, and, yes, there were a few strung together there. But I have faith in you, Liger. You can keep up.

I will also note that "GM TM" is commonly used here and "FO" is universally used to refer to a front office. And as for the other one ...

Hell Ottawa all you had to do was hit A instead of ' .
He wasn't abbreviating. He was giving the phonetic spelling.

I'm pretty sure the blame and credit go to Taro. IIRC, he's the one who got me thinking/typing in terms of the Loafs (Laffs?), Phlyers, Ott'wa, and so on. The Ott'wa one, I believe, further traces to Art Wander.

Edited by That Aud Smell

The Senators would be better if they hadn't spent as much time trying to be mediocre. Tim seems more impatient than his father and that might be a good reason for why he was willing to leave the Sens. They draft well and the B-Sens are always good, but they never made that work for them in the NHL.

I agree with this. Also keep in mind Melnyk is so cheap he makes Golisano look like the pre-cap Rangers.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.