The "meddling" Kim Pegula???

LabattBlue

On the business side, fine. If TB's negotiating a new broadcast deal, or they're changing concession companies (yeah, right) or whatever, sure, he and his people present it to the Pegs. I have never liked the analogy that the hockey side is a business like any other, and of course the owner should be involved.

Do you see the hockey side as a totally separate entity from the business side? One with complete autonomy from the rest of the corporation? If the hockey department needs resources to accomplish goals, do they just get them from itself? I'm honestly trying to understand your broader point here. If your expectation is that the hockey department exists in a vacuum that should just be left alone, I don't see how that's sustainable in the business model.

And I'll ask one more time: what hockey decision to you feel wasn't made by the hockey department?

GO SABRES!!!

And I'll ask one more time: what hockey decision to you feel wasn't made by the hockey department?

Let's ask What proof exists that hockey decisions were not made by the hockey department?

And I will allow that the first phase of Pegula's ownership witnessed hockey decisions that seemed to have been driven (if not made) by Pegula, and not so much by the head of the hockey department. To wit, the Tyler Myers deal.

There's a new sheriff in town, though.

Let's ask What proof exists that hockey decisions were not made by the hockey department?

And I will allow that the first phase of Pegula's ownership witnessed hockey decisions that seemed to have been driven (if not made) by Pegula, and not so much by the head of the hockey department. To wit, the Tyler Myers deal.

Is the inference here that Darcy didn't want to tie up his young star defenseman when he did, to a cap friendly deal, vs. TP making the decision? Again, I think it's a case, as is USUAL, that the hockey department needs to make sure the business side is on board with the commitment of resources. At the time, the Myers deal was hailed as good foresight by an organization looking to secure their young stars. This is a good thing.

The 20/20 hindsight applied in view of Myers' struggles since then is not relevant. Just throwing that out there because it's all after the fact.

GO SABRES!!!

Do you see the hockey side as a totally separate entity from the business side? One with complete autonomy from the rest of the corporation? If the hockey department needs resources to accomplish goals, do they just get them from itself? I'm honestly trying to understand your broader point here. If your expectation is that the hockey department exists in a vacuum that should just be left alone, I don't see how that's sustainable in the business model.

GO SABRES!!!

I think it's sustainable in the business model Terry seemed to lay out at the beginning. ("If I want to make money, I"ll go drill a well"; "there's no salary cap on scouting and player development.") What a great advantage this can be (and maybe already has been). The hockey side can make "pure" hockey decisions without consideration of how it'll play with the fan base, how it will affect marketing, what moves will mean for the bottom line.

As for proof of Terry's meddling, I'll refer you to the Trial of Terry Pegula thread. A lot of inferences, assumptions, suppositions and downright facts (facts!) are presented there. I will respect the mood of the thread, for once, that it all doesn't have to be hashed again.

I am cautiously optimistic that things have changed. I haven't been able to fully reconcile what happened with Pat. Hopefully it was Tim ruthlessly consolidating power. But it also could have been Pat losing a power struggle with the cronies, who now lord themselves over Tim, who is, after all, still a pup in this business. I love the public personna of Murray, and I am really enjoying the myth-making that's going on in the fan base. I just have to see a bit more from Murray to make sure he's the real deal. Would he really quit, #no######sgiven, if Terry made some of the pushes he made with Darcy?

I am cautiously optimistic that things have changed. I haven't been able to fully reconcile what happened with Pat. Hopefully it was Tim ruthlessly consolidating power.

I've wondered the same myself. Pat hires Tim - and then finds that he made himself irrelevant and obsolete. Has a Sith-like quality to it, like Darth Plaugeis and how his own apprentice, Darth Sidious, killed him in his sleep.

Darth Murray? Or an "Et Tu, Timmay?" moment? LaFontaine didn't even make it to the Ides of March, however.

I've wondered the same myself. Pat hires Tim - and then finds that he made himself irrelevant and obsolete. Has a Sith-like quality to it, like Darth Plaugeis and how his own apprentice, Darth Sidious, killed him in his sleep.

Darth Murray? Or an "Et Tu, Timmay?" moment? LaFontaine didn't even make it to the Ides of March, however.

It's also very House of Cards-ish.

As some of you know I have a family source that is closely tied to the Sens who has met and talked with TM on many occasions. What you see is what you get with this guy, he is completely no nonsense personally and professionally. I have no doubt that he would jump ship pretty quickly if his role as GM wasn't playing out as advertised.

I've heard other nuggets of a more personal nature, that I'm not at liberty to share here, that would also support the case that GMTM would not accept meddling in hockey decisions.

I am cautiously optimistic that things have changed. I haven't been able to fully reconcile what happened with Pat. Hopefully it was Tim ruthlessly consolidating power. But it also could have been Pat losing a power struggle with the cronies, who now lord themselves over Tim, who is, after all, still a pup in this business. I love the public personna of Murray, and I am really enjoying the myth-making that's going on in the fan base. I just have to see a bit more from Murray to make sure he's the real deal. Would he really quit, #no######sgiven, if Terry made some of the pushes he made with Darcy?

I appreciate this.

TM may be a pup in the business, and there are almost certainly some mistakes he will make as a result. That's to be expected. But I don't get the sense that he would allow himself to be pushed around by know-nothing cronies. If that started to happen, I really do believe he'd be gone before you could say Jack Robinson.

He genuinely seems like the kind of guy who'd be like "Fuggit. I'll call Dale/Bob/Alan/Gord/Garth/Brad/Stu and have a job scouting and evaluating talent next week."

As some of you know I have a family source that is closely tied to the Sens who has met and talked with TM on many occasions. What you see is what you get with this guy, he is completely no nonsense personally and professionally. I have no doubt that he would jump ship pretty quickly if his role as GM wasn't playing out as advertised.

I've heard other nuggets of a more personal nature, that I'm not at liberty to share here, that would also support the case that GMTM would not accept meddling in hockey decisions.

Until it's printed as cryptic bullet points in the Buffalo News I won't believe you :P

Until it's printed as cryptic bullet points in the Buffalo News I won't believe you :P

But if the myth that Tim Murray doesn't do meddling has to be perpetuated in order to topple the myth that Terry Pegula does, guess what.

More Tim Murray Facts:

Tim Murray can cut a hot knife with butter.

Tim Murray doesn't flush the toilet, he scares the ###### out of it.

Jesus could walk on water, Tim Murray can swim through land.

But if the myth that Tim Murray doesn't do meddling has to be perpetuated in order to topple the myth that Terry Pegula does, guess what.

More Tim Murray Facts:

Tim Murray can cut a hot knife with butter.

Tim Murray doesn't flush the toilet, he scares the ###### out of it.

Jesus could walk on water, Tim Murray can swim through land.

lol

If I spent millions of dollars on a sports team (NHL, NFL etc.), I darn well would be involved. Why anyone would expect something different from an owner of a multimillion dollar business - whether it is Apple, the Buffalo Sabres, Buffalo Bills, or any other business - is beyond me.

We are fortunate that the Pegulas decided to buy the Sabres and reportedly want to buy the Bills. They have done more for Buffalo than just about anyone I can think of.

Bucky, Sully etc. should not be surprised that they have burned their bridges with both the Bills and Sabres given some of the BS they have written. I will take Terry and Kim Pegula any day of the week over Bucky, Sully, and Harrington.

Just my two cents.

100% Agree. I am SO SICK of the "journalists" Gleason and Sullivan. Get those clowns on the next bus out of town all they do is create strife around Buffalo with their repeated garbage. Gleason lives in 2007 ....oh and we can't forget Mike Harrington who had a meltdown because *shudder gasp* SABRES EMPLOYEE Joe Battista went in the Sabres locker room!!!!

The Pegula's own this team and have EVERY RIGHT to do whatever the flip they want....especially sitting in on meetings.

So, if what you're saying (all of you) is true... then La Fontaine must have been having an affair with the owners wife!!!

Involved role, indeed, Kim! Oh snap! She appears to have thwarted him for Nolan!

Dang it, Nolan! What's your game? And why do you always have to do this when we are about to contend for a Stanley?

• 1 year later...

That's just spreading FUD.

Unless he can quantify what is actually happening, then that's a BS statement to throw out there.

When Bucky spends 1.8 Billion between the two teams, he can sit in the meetings as well. She can do what she wants. Her, and Terry have made a huge commitment to the city, and both teams. I am sure they are both smart enough to know their lanes. Edited by DirtDart

That is an interesting piece. The video's editing is a bit choppy - I lost the thread a couple times.

Colour me incredulous that she has *no* memories of her life before she met her adoptive parents at the airport, at the age of five.

Her explanation of why she lacks interest in finding her biological parents seemed like a real insight on the sort of person she is -- the sort who doesn't get bogged down in navel-gazing and just tends to move forward in life.

Finally, how're you going to cover that sort of ground and not have some tissues handy? C'mon, Sal!

Edited by That Aud Smell

That is an interesting piece. The video's editing is a bit choppy - I lost the thread a couple times.

Colour me incredulous that she has *no* memories of her life before she met her adoptive parents at the airport, at the age of five.

I have no recollection of before 6 or so. None.  And 7-middle school is sketchy. I assume my memory loss is for different reasons though.   :ph34r:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.