Trade Ideas: Summer 2014

Eleven

These are quality points made. Particularly the latter as I agree if there were a deal there we would all regret it. Remember Chara though. I wonder if any fans regret that he WAS traded.

That trade is just proof that the islanders had terrible management well before Garth showed up.

Cost them Chara AND Spezza and they still owe Yashin another $2.2M on the buyout!

It's silly that so many posters are okay with moving Risto in a certain deal but wouldn't move Zadorov for the world... One was taken higher and is further along while already having more success.

These are quality points made. Particularly the latter as I agree if there were a deal there we would all regret it. Remember Chara though. I wonder if any fans regret that he WAS traded.

Chara consistently gets brought up and it's ridiculous. Myers IS NOT Chara. Chara was traded after four years where he showed very little because he was never used in a role that fit his abilities... He may never have blown up if he isn't traded.

Myers has been used in many roles and hasn't completely put it together, so I'm not looking for a Chara-style blow up. The comparisons are more annoying than the Patrick Kane stuff.

I want to keep Myers, but that wouldn't deter me from including him in a deal for Johansen (which I never did so I don't understand why the discussion turned here)..

Edited by Tankalicious

It's silly that so many posters are okay with moving Risto in a certain deal but wouldn't move Zadorov for the world... One was taken higher and is further along while already having more success.

Chara consistently gets brought up and it's ridiculous. Myers IS NOT Chara. Chara was traded after four years where he showed very little because he was never used in a role that fit his abilities... He may never have blown up if he isn't traded.

Myers has been used in many roles and hasn't completely put it together, so I'm not looking for a Chara-style blow up. The comparisons are more annoying than the Patrick Kane stuff.

I want to keep Myers, but that wouldn't deter me from including him in a deal for Johansen (which I never did so I don't understand why the discussion turned here)..

That's a curiosity to me as well, Risto and Zads were on even terms until this season per-say. Now Risto is ahead because he's already proven himself to be full capable of playing in the NHL with large amounts of playing time. If I had to choose between them I'd keep Risto, but I still love Zadorov nonetheless.

I'm not bashing Johansen. I like the kid a lot. But there's no guarantee he hasn't already peaked.

Thomas Vanek looked like the second coming of Richard Martin in his second season.

He's never matched those numbers.

Hell, all of Rico's best years were used up before he turned 25.

I beg to differ. Rico had 45 goals the year he turned 28, and 21 pts in 23 games the following year before he wrecked his knee.

And just so we're all clear, Vanek isn't half the player that Rico was.

These opinions that differ from your own are neither silly, nor ridiculous, nor annoying. You might reconsider before posting this type of characterization.

There are plenty of seasoned hockey fans that like Nikita's game more than they like Risto's. They're both prospects and they both have a long way to go. And Chara's emergence wasn't because he had previously been used incorrectly. He took a long time to develop as a skater and to grow into his body, to say nothing of starting his career with a dysfunctional organization.

I beg to differ. Rico had 45 goals the year he turned 28, and 21 pts in 23 games the following year before he wrecked his knee.

And just so we're all clear, Vanek isn't half the player that Rico was.

Rico averaged 47 goals and 83 points a year in his first five seasons.

It was 34 and 65 in the next four.

On point two, couldn't agree with you more.

Edited by dudacek

Risto has been ahl eligible and benefited from that we know. I'm more comfortable in my brain seeing Pronger upside in Nikita from what I have SEEN from him, and from what I have SEEN from risto, well honestly I'm not so sure that Pysyk can't do the same.

All hail! NIKITA!.. Like Myers I guess he makes the jump to the big club. Him and Samson have zero left to do in juniors and aren't eligible for Roch. So this year we get burned twice. However these guys unlike Grigs are ready to take that step. I will not be surprised to see Risto sent Roch, Samson, Nikita and Grigs make the team.

And with that many kids doesn't that bring us full circle to so many guys wishes of tanking!!! Problem being, I expect those three guys to be good and contribute. There will be no tanking this year under Teddy and if he brings these three kids to start the season, I guarantee it Godd style. Gotta go. Will re visit this but thinking I'll take two bets at $50 each for charity based on some of what I'm rambling. Later!

Willy

Posted this in the "Trading for Evander Kane" thread, but it seems better suited here. I haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if someone's already proposed this:

Is there a reasonable shot at prying Jeff Skinner loose from the Hurricanes? Short of burning and pillaging Raleigh....

The price would be very,very high of course, but does anyone think something like this might get it done?

-To Carolina: Myers, Co-Ho/Ennis, NYI 2015 1st, and some prospects/later round picks

-To Buffalo: Skinner

Posted this in the "Trading for Evander Kane" thread, but it seems better suited here. I haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if someone's already proposed this:

Is there a reasonable shot at prying Jeff Skinner loose from the Hurricanes? Short of burning and pillaging Raleigh....

The price would be very,very high of course, but does anyone think something like this might get it done?

-To Carolina: Myers, Co-Ho/Ennis, NYI 2015 1st, and some prospects/later round picks

In pretty much the same number of games Skinner got 10 more points than Hodgson. Ignoring the fact he played on a better team, with better line-mates and with Staals getting the toughest match-ups this is your trade

Myers, Top 10 pick, Prospects

for

10 point increase to a player

What are people smoking? All that for Skinner! Wow thank god u ain't running the hockey department. Skinner is a smallish forward and yes he can score but he been banged up the last couple of seasons and I don't think your trading Myers, Hodgson , + for him. Way over payment for that player. Trading Myers now would be foolish unless your getting a top flight prospect or straight up for a player that's around his age. I think you see what Myers brings this year under a full season coaching by Nolan.

Now THATS an overpayment. Soft winger like Skinner isn't going to get that much. Myers for Skinner straight up almost gets it done.

No. Just no. I wouldn't trade Co-Ho or Ennis straight up for Skinner. He plays defense like Afinogenov did... or didn't.

Now THATS an overpayment. Soft winger like Skinner isn't going to get that much. Myers for Skinner straight up almost gets it done.

I would bet money if I called the Carolina Hurricanes and said "Myers for Skinner straight up." that the Canes couldn't process the paperwork fast enough to make that happen.

No. Just no. I wouldn't trade Co-Ho or Ennis straight up for Skinner. He plays defense like Afinogenov did... or didn't.

I would bet money if I called the Carolina Hurricanes and said "Myers for Skinner straight up." that the Canes couldn't process the paperwork fast enough to make that happen.

I agree. imo the canes would have to sweeten the pot.

Just to run the numbers for people...

Tyler Ennis: 80gp, 21g, 22a, 0.538ppg

Cody Hodgson: 72gp, 20g, 24a, 0.611ppg

Jeff Skinner: 71gp, 33g, 21a, 0.761ppg

So, on paper is Jeff Skinner better? Yes he is. He also gets to play with Eric or Jordan Staal which I have a very sneaky suspicion would probably make Ennis and CoHo better as well.

Just to run the numbers for people...

Tyler Ennis: 80gp, 21g, 22a, 0.538ppg

Cody Hodgson: 72gp, 20g, 24a, 0.611ppg

Jeff Skinner: 71gp, 33g, 21a, 0.761ppg

So, on paper is Jeff Skinner better? Yes he is. He also gets to play with Eric or Jordan Staal which I have a very sneaky suspicion would probably make Ennis and CoHo better as well.

Skinner is a much better player than Hodgson.

This is the poor man's version of Roy for Malkin.

What are people smoking? All that for Skinner! Wow thank god u ain't running the hockey department. Skinner is a smallish forward and yes he can score but he been banged up the last couple of seasons and I don't think your trading Myers, Hodgson , + for him. Way over payment for that player. Trading Myers now would be foolish unless your getting a top flight prospect or straight up for a player that's around his age. I think you see what Myers brings this year under a full season coaching by Nolan.

Skinner really is much stronger than you are giving him credit for. He has great strength in those legs and can play inside and near the crease, and he can score,and get that wrister off from just about anywhere.

Skinner has a ton of value.

How are we supposed to argue if you're going to be that polite about it?

Sheeeeeeeeesh.

I thought that is what I was being groomed for all these years? To be polite and a smart contributor to the board!

I would say that while Skinner more offensively gifted than Cody, and this is odd to say, Cody's overall game is better. Skinner also has better, more experienced centers to play with. I think Skinner in the offensive zone is good and I think in the real world of the trade it would take Hodgson + to acquire him. I would not however trade Hodgson for Skinner. In all fairness I want to see what happens when Cody with his hockey brain is matched with Reinhart and his. Both are excellent passers and Cody has an underrated slapper.

To the original trade Skinner for Hodgson, Myers, and a 1st (NYI) plus another prospect is gross overpayment.

Edited by LGR4GM

I thought that is what I was being groomed for all these years? To be polite and a smart contributor to the board!

I would say that while Skinner more offensively gifted than Cody, and this is odd to say, Cody's overall game is better. Skinner also has better, more experienced centers to play with. I think Skinner in the offensive zone is good and I think in the real world of the trade it would take Hodgson + to acquire him. I would not however trade Hodgson for Skinner. In all fairness I want to see what happens when Cody with his hockey brain is matched with Reinhart and his. Both are excellent passers and Cody has an underrated slapper.

To the original trade Skinner for Hodgson, Myers, and a 1st (NYI) plus another prospect is gross overpayment.

Hodgson is a better passer than Skinner. Other than that, Skinner is a crazy dangerous player with his shot. Sabres haven't had a natural goal scorer like him in years. He can get off a shot from anywhere.

The problem with Skinner is not his ability, it is that Carolina will want to move him because of his coming price tag.

I think he'll be a consistent PPG player. Something like 35/50/85 could be realistic. He just out up 30/33/63 at 21. He's 6'3 225. He's a big body who should become a star in this league.

You just projected him to be the #4 scorer in the entire league, and called it perfectly realistic. Only a handful of guys in the entire league are consistent PPG players from one year to the next. You just tossed Ryan Johansen in the class of Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos and Giroux. It's not impossible, but it's nowhere near realistic. Another consideration: last year, when he emerged, he shot 14%. The previous year he shot 6%, and the year before 9%. Care to give me a money line on that 85 point projection? I'll happily bet the under every single year until he retires.

Skinner is a much better player than Hodgson.

This is the poor man's version of Roy for Malkin.

Funny you chose Roy, since I think Skinner actually dives around the ice and cries more than Roy ever did. I agree he's better than Hodgson, but I hate me some Jeff Skinner.

You just projected him to be the #4 scorer in the entire league, and called it perfectly realistic. Only a handful of guys in the entire league are consistent PPG players from one year to the next. You just tossed Ryan Johansen in the class of Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos and Giroux. It's not impossible, but it's nowhere near realistic. Another consideration: last year, when he emerged, he shot 14%. The previous year he shot 6%, and the year before 9%. Care to give me a money line on that 85 point projection? I'll happily bet the under every single year until he retires.

According to his SH% he should have roughly 28goals in a season if he shoots 230 shots. So I would guess Johansen is likely to do 25-30goals next season with 30-35a if he stays healthy and he wasn't just a flash in pan... aka stafford.

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.