Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

Well to be fair I said they should have 1 down year.  Sell your Vanek for a couple of guys that are 20ish or maybe a guy and a pick and then their ya go.  Minnesota doesn't have the depth or the centers to be anything more than they are now.  If they had some great GT and defense coming than sure but they are pretty maxed out. 

When you say "sell your Vanek," do you mean a trade?  Is there a team that's going to pick him up at $6.5M?

Minnesota's biggest issue is up the middle, but their second biggest issue is the fact that their five highest salary players are all over 30. As much as it might seem to be the opposite they're not a team on the rise.

The bold part is pretty much the nature of the beast though, isn't it?  In the league as a whole, the older guys tend to be the highest paid players.  I'm not going to go team by team, but I'd imagine you'd see the same thing with a lot of teams, both good and bad.  It's far more about the type of players are in that group is as opposed to their age.  Anaheim's got 4 of their top 5 over the age of 30 and I don't think anyone will say the same thing about them. 

The only place where age is going to sting Minnesota is with Parise and Suter.  The others' contracts will be up by the time people will be ready to call them old.  They've got a good group of young talent, but unfortunately don't seem to have the right kind of players to complement them.

The bold part is pretty much the nature of the beast though, isn't it? In the league as a whole, the older guys tend to be the highest paid players. I'm not going to go team by team, but I'd imagine you'd see the same thing with a lot of teams, both good and bad. It's far more about the type of players are in that group is as opposed to their age. Anaheim's got 4 of their top 5 over the age of 30 and I don't think anyone will say the same thing about them.

The only place where age is going to sting Minnesota is with Parise and Suter. The others' contracts will be up by the time people will be ready to call them old. They've got a good group of young talent, but unfortunately don't seem to have the right kind of players to complement them.

Of playoff teams:

Anaheim: 2/5 under 30 (Perry turns 30 on the 16th, though)

Calgary: 1/5 under 30

Chicago: 2/5 under 30

Detroit: 0/5 under 30

Minnesota: 0/5 under 30

Montreal: 3/5 under 30

Nashville: 2/5 under 30

NY Isles: 2/5 under 30

NY Rangers: 2/5 under 30

Ottawa: 3/5 under 30

Pittsburgh: 4/5 under 30

St. Louis: 2/5 under 30

Tampa Bay: 2/5 under 30

Vancouver: 1/5 under 30

Washington: 3/5 under 30

Winnipeg: 3/5 under 30

Vanek doesn't have the plague, he's still a good player that would score ~25 goals from most 2nd lines.

His value has plummeted since his departure from Buffalo. Not sure why his play has gone with it. He's still good, but it seems like other teams don't understand what kind of player he is and how to utilize him, and his confidence has gone with it. 

I really don't understand all the hate for how Minnesota built their team. First of all, yes they can't seem to get beyond the second round...but my guess is the vast majority of playoff teams would suffer a similar fate if they kept running into Chicago. But as far as team construction goes, what else were they supposed to do? They spent a boatload of money on a legit #1 Dman and #1 LW, they managed to deal futures of questionable value for a legit #1 RW (sorry haters, but Pominville is a #1 RW even if you don't want him as the best player on that line), moved a 3rd liner for a young 2nd line winger (Clutterbuck for Niederreiter), and have a lot of really nice home grown talent (Brodin, Granlund, Coyle, to name a few). Could they use another center? Probably, but it's not like Koivu and Granlund are second class citizens. I think they're built a lot like the Rangers, who might make the Final two years in a row...the only real difference is the Rangers have Lundqvist and don't have to play Chicago.

Put differently, what opportunities to get better has Minnesota missed? They didn't get Stastny, but sometimes free agents just choose to go elsewhere...it's not like Stastny avoided them because they're a bad team. The only thing I can look at is not trading for Kesler, but who knows if there was a deal to be made between the teams there or if Kesler would waive his NTC to go there (there is a certain appeal to living in Cali over Minnesota....). What else were they supposed to do? It's one of those things where "go and get a #1 center" isn't really an answer...it's a meaningless statement if the opportunity was never there.

Wait... what are people complaining about? All the Wild do is rack up 100 point seasons, make the playoffs every year and get out of the first round. If the Sabres ever had this kind of record of success, well someone would build a something something of Terry Pegula...

Edited by PASabreFan

Wait... what are people complaining about? All the Wild do is rack up 100 point seasons, make the playoffs every year and get out of the first round. If the Sabres ever had this kind of record of success, well someone would build a something something of Terry Pegula...

After what we just endured there can only be one outcome.  There is not a half victory to be had.  We have earned the right to expect better after the suffering.  The playoffs are not the goal.  The conference finals are not the goal. The cup finals are not the goal.  These are unacceptable outcomes.  Starting June 27th 2015, the Sabres reason for existence will be to win the Stanley Cup.  This is our time.  Anything short of that is a failure.  Failure is no longer and option.  2nd best is the first loser and I don't want to see that again.  I want to see something new, something never before done, something that will actually be remembered.  The only acceptable outcome is to be the greatest hockey team in the world and forever have the words Buffalo Sabres etched in history on the Stanley Cup.  

Saw this quote in a random article: "The Chicago Blackhawks hit a rough patch towards the end of the 2015 NHL season and several reports leaked that there was some serious friction in the locker room. Not long after, there was a rumored fight between Blackhawks forward Patrick Sharp and defenseman Duncan Keith."

If true, Sharp won't be in Chicago next season.

Yada Yada banging his wife... Blah blah blah. Don't believe the hype.

No one said Minnesota missed opportunities, they just have reached their max potential IMPO with the team they have built. 

Minnesota is a "nice" team that has some nice stuff going on.

The problem is they are about as good as they are going to get (as you point out) and that is not nearly good enough.

They're the type of team that can and will win a lot of meaningless snoozer regular season games on a Tuesday night in December.

So what.

Ryan Callahan out indefinitely after undergoing an emergency appendectomy

Meh.

Ryan Callahan's been out-shot and out-chanced at EV. He has 14 shots the entire playoffs. Zero goals. Other than that, big loss.

And if you consider term, his contract is much larger than Vanek's. Yet Vanek gets dumped on and Callahan gets a free pass. Must be the grit :rolleyes:

Meh.

Travis Yost@travisyost 11m11 minutes ago

Ryan Callahan's been out-shot and out-chanced at EV. He has 14 shots the entire playoffs. Zero goals. Other than that, big loss.

And if you consider term, his contract is much larger than Vanek's. Yet Vanek gets dumped on and Callahan gets a free pass. Must be the grit :rolleyes:

It's more his compete

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.