Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

Holy ... Lucic just got the most bogus goal call. They called it no goal on the ice, but they went to Toronto and overturned it.

He was standing near the net and turned his skate and deflected it in. Even the Bruins announcers said it wasn't a goal which is a HUGE sign that it shouldn't have counted. Yikes. Methinks the league wants Boston in the playoffs.

http://deadspin.com/milan-lucic-scores-controversial-kicked-goal-1694265473

I think they tried to take the new kick rules too seriously. To me, that's a blatant kicking motion.

As they watch you it you can hear Edwards even slowly accept that it's a kick... I do not think that should be a goal. I want more scoring, but it's not a hockey play. Lucic even accepts that it's a kick. He hardly makes an attempt to get his stick on the puck after the kick and doesn't even celebrate.

Edited by Tank

Man, I clicked on the Yotes game and it was 1-0 Arizona with 12 minutes left.  Less than three minutes later, it's 1-3.

And the replay showed that Crosby pushed it in with his skate, but they still allowed it under review.

Edited by carpandean

Man, I clicked on the Yotes game and it was 1-0 Arizona with 12 minutes left.  Less than three minutes later, it's 1-3.

Yotes had been playing well. Poor coverage in their own zone gave up the equalizer shortly after they'd taken the lead and then dumb penalties doomed them. Rats.

http://deadspin.com/milan-lucic-scores-controversial-kicked-goal-1694265473

I think they tried to take the new kick rules too seriously. To me, that's a blatant kicking motion.

As they watch you it you can hear Edwards even slowly accept that it's a kick... I do not think that should be a goal. I want more scoring, but it's not a hockey play. Lucic even accepts that it's a kick. He hardly makes an attempt to get his stick on the puck after the kick and doesn't even celebrate.

It's hard to change your thinking as a fan. That would never have been counted over so many years. But it's not a distinct kicking motion. It's a gray area for sure, and you hate to see goals like that. Still... as long as the standard is "distinct kicking motion," that has to count.

It's hard to change your thinking as a fan. That would never have been counted over so many years. But it's not a distinct kicking motion. It's a gray area for sure, and you hate to see goals like that. Still... as long as the standard is "distinct kicking motion," that has to count.

To me that IS a distinct kicking motion. He kicks it with his heel. I know some mixed martial artists who could heel kick my brains out.

This is almost like the catch rule... I don't want a catch rule in the NHL. It should have to go off your stick or a defending player if it touches your skate unless your skate was stationary or not moving towards the net.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=759862&navid=DL|NHL|home

Good article about Thomas Vanek.  My favorite bit:

"Obviously, I knew about him [before this season], and heard about him and knew he's put up a number of goals, but I didn't know he was a playmaker [like he has been]," Coyle (Vanek's center) said. "I knew he was skilled but he can do it all offensively. He can make plays that most guys can't or don't even think of doing."

Vanek has a lethal shot, especially close to the net. Down the stretch, Yeo (coach) said he hopes to see it a little more often.

"I would like to see him get more shots, I know that would lead to some more offense," Yeo said. "But there also has been some times where I wish he'd shoot the puck and he goes down and makes a play to somebody who scores a goal, so a creative player like that, you also have to give him the freedom to make their plays."

Edited by qwksndmonster

Depends on definition of "distinct," but, yeah, the league has been moving towards considering that situation to NOT be considered a "distinct kicking motion." Which, considering how far down goal scoring is, is probably a good thing.

Throw in the fact the play was made on home ice by the (arguably) best player in the game against the 29th best team, and that's the icing on the proverbial cake. (Not stating anything deeper than the stars get the breaks and teams that are in the dumps tend not to get them.)

Depends on definition of "distinct," but, yeah, the league has been moving towards considering that situation to NOT be considered a "distinct kicking motion." Which, considering how far down goal scoring is, is probably a good thing.

Throw in the fact the play was made on home ice by the (arguably) best player in the game against the 29th best team, and that's the icing on the proverbial cake. (Not stating anything deeper than the stars get the breaks and teams that are in the dumps tend not to get them.)

That's exactly the kind of backwards thinking I'd expect the NHL to use.  Goal scoring's down?  Let's just allow more kick goals!  Problem solved!

When are we ever going to see more skill on display?

That's exactly the kind of backwards thinking I'd expect the NHL to use. Goal scoring's down? Let's just allow more kick goals! Problem solved!

When the dinosaurs die out and some younger, more progressive thinkers occupy the important positions in the league office. In other words, by the time your a dinosaur so you can hate on all the newfangled changes :p Edited by TrueBluePhD

That's exactly the kind of backwards thinking I'd expect the NHL to use.  Goal scoring's down?  Let's just allow more kick goals!  Problem solved!

In this league? That's rhetorical, right?

While in principle, I may agree that no kicked in goals should count; in reality, they are not going to go to a system where all pucks that touch a skate cannot score a goal. With that being the case, and realizing the no kicked in goals rule was implemented for player safety, it would be preferable that they go to a definition of what is and isn't allowable to be scored that is clear and subject to as little interpretation as possible. IMHO, that standard would be if the skate blade lifts off the ice then there is no goal; if the skate blade remains on the ice through the entire motion when contact with the puck occurs then a goal may be scored. Basically still saying a puck can't be kicked in, but giving a clear definition of 'kick' and also taking intent completely out of the equation.

The goal in question came in the Bruins-Rangers game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.