Free Agent Frenzy 2014

Hoss

OK, who wants Brian Gionta? He's 35, 5'7", 174 lbs and a right winger -- so at first glance, he doesn't call out "come and get me." OTOH, he's also in good enough shape and professional enough to have played almost 18 min per game and put up 40 pts for the Habs, who were a good team last year. So he's probably the good-influence kind of guy that TM wants to have around the youngsters.

I'm interested.

I think he's a good vet to bring in and show the yutes the way. Overpay him a little to help get to the cap floor.

OK, who wants Brian Gionta? He's 35, 5'7", 174 lbs and a right winger -- so at first glance, he doesn't call out "come and get me." OTOH, he's also in good enough shape and professional enough to have played almost 18 min per game and put up 40 pts for the Habs, who were a good team last year. So he's probably the good-influence kind of guy that TM wants to have around the youngsters.

I'm interested.

I think Gionta has more left in the tank than Orpik. The Habs have also had a slew of good prospects mature while he was captain there. Pittsburgh, on the other hand, hasn't had a good young prospect develop since approximately the stone age. I doubt that's really a statement on team leadership, but, I'm going to choose to hang my hat on it anyway :)

Edit: Unless we get Orpik and not Gionta. In that case Orpik is obviously the better example for the kids :P

Edited by TrueBluePhD

I like Gionta, so I'd like to see him brought in, and I think we may have a chance:

• His contract will be an over 35, so it's not like we'll be competing with anyone offering long term deals. His cap will count whether he plays or not. so that will preclude anything longer than 4 years I think.
  • He already has his name on the cup, so that won't be a make-or-break issue. (it may still matter somewhat)
  • We can offer him more money than anyone else in those 3-4 years he may have left playing.

I think Gionta has more left in the tank than Orpik. The Habs have also had a slew of good prospects mature while he was captain there. Pittsburgh, on the other hand, hasn't had a good young prospect develop since approximately the stone age. I doubt that's really a statement on team leadership, but, I'm going to choose to hang my hat on it anyway :)

Edit: Unless we get Orpik and not Gionta. In that case Orpik is obviously the better example for the kids :P

Good post.

I like Gionta, so I'd like to see him brought in, and I think we may have a chance:

• His contract will be an over 35, so it's not like we'll be competing with anyone offering long term deals. His cap will count whether he plays or not. so that will preclude anything longer than 4 years I think.
  • He already has his name on the cup, so that won't be a make-or-break issue. (it may still matter somewhat)
  • We can offer him more money than anyone else in those 3-4 years he may have left playing.

I guess we shouldn't even care how he plays. We care more about his leadership, professionalism and the example he can set for the younger guys. Not sure any of us will know what players do that best.

I guess we shouldn't even care how he plays. We care more about his leadership, professionalism and the example he can set for the younger guys. Not sure any of us will know what players do that best.

He was the captain during the Canadiens recent rebuild/turnaround. That's a solid start for building a resume for leadership.

And we do need him to be able to play, that's how he'll build confidence in the young players on the ice with him.

He's not a free agent (yet) but Josh Gorges interests me.

I always thought he was a warrior and would be good number four.

I'm surprised the Habs are dumping him, but I guess it's the price for keeping Subban and Markov.

He's not a free agent (yet) but Josh Gorges interests me.

I always thought he was a warrior and would be good number four.

I'm surprised the Habs are dumping him, but I guess it's the price for keeping Subban and Markov.

I agree he'd be a good #4. Granted I don't know specifically why he nixed the trade to Toronto, but if he's not willing to go there, I'm not sure how much more appealing Buffalo would be.

McKenzie told Vancouver radio he believes Miller will be a Canuck today.

West Coast location taking precedence over desire to win cup?

Or realization no cup favourite wants him?

I think that's basically it. If I were Minnesota or Pittsburgh I'd be very interested, and Anaheim is taking a huge risk assuming Gibson is ready to handle the load. I think those teams are making a mistake, but it's the path they've chosen, and there really are very few teams close to winning who are looking for a goaltender.

@kevinoDandC

I'll be a blogging fly on the wall in office of agent Steve Bartlett as NHL free agency begins at noon. A unique perspective of the process.

I'll tweet a blog link as we get closer to noon. UFAs of local interest represented by Steve Bartlett: Gionta brothers and Thomas Vanek.

Please realize that while I will have fly-on-the-wall access, I'm there as a courtesy. This won't be who offered what play-by-play (more)...

(Cont.)... This will be a behind-the-scenes blog of the UFA process, starting with the first call from whatever GM at noon.

Pretty darn cool!

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl 5m

Brian Gionta will not be re-signing with Montreal before noon and will hit the open market, says @BBarts. Mutual interest with Sabres.

Gionta brings far more to the table than guys like D'Agostini and Conacher. Definite upgrade (although we were so pathetic last year almost any signing is an upgrade!).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.