Free Agent Frenzy 2014

Hoss

This is quite a surreal free agency eve. Usually we are all pulling for the Sabres to go out and get some awesome shiny toys. Not this year though. Seems like the consensus is to just get some warm bodies.

Actually, according to reports, Miller's suitors have been surprisingly large in number.

You ever get into a traffic jam only to find out people were all just slowing down to gawk at an overturned tractor trailer? Same thing going on here.

Edited by kas23

Now that seems like a logical fit for both sides.

Indeed. Would be a nice pickup for the Blues and simultaneously it'd weaken a Western Conference rival.

@NYR_FullTilt

Breaking: Senators Looking to Sign Benoit Pouliot http://wp.me/p4jclE-2hO

@SensChirp

Key part from that article is the fact that Benoit Pouliot was in Ottawa today to meet with the #Sens. Also says Ottawa is his top choice.

This is quite a surreal free agency eve. Usually we are all pulling for the Sabres to go out and get some awesome shiny toys. Not this year though. Seems like the consensus is to just get some warm bodies.

I'm hoping TM "helps" some teams make room for their shiny new toys and gets paid for doing it.

@aaronward_nhl: There are 8-10 teams interested in UFA David Legwand. Likes of NYI, FLA, BUFF, TOR. #TSN

...but not Orpik. Weird.

I wouldn't put much stock into who is and isn't on there. I'm sure that those listed are at least somewhat interested per their sources/reports, but they won't get everybody.

Edited by Tankalicious

NHL Network-U.S. to broadcast 2014 NHL free agency with full-day coverage on July 1

NHL Network-U.S., NHL.com to stream Sportsnet's live full-day coverage

NEW YORK – NHL Network-U.S. will deliver seven hours of analysis of the opening of free agency on Tuesday, July 1 (12:00 p.m. ET), with streaming live coverage of Sportsnet's HOCKEY CENTRAL Signing Season, starting at 11:00 a.m. ET. This marks the first time Sportsnet's coverage will be available to viewers in the U.S., following the landmark Canadian rights deal between the National Hockey League and Rogers.

NHL Network-U.S. and Sportsnet 360 will chronicle the free-agency frenzy with HOCKEY CENTRAL Signing Season hosted by Daren Millard, Jeff Marek and Christine Simpson and featuring panelists and hockey insiders Nick Kypreos, Damien Cox, Elliotte Friedman, Doug MacLean, John Shannon, Scott Morrison, Chris Johnston, Greg Millen, Darren Pang and Billy Jaffe. The show will bring viewers the most up-to-date information on signings and trades as well as analysis of all 30 NHL® teams.

NHL.com will have full coverage of the opening of the free-agency period, including position-by-position analysis of the market, the official list of available free agents, news and notes on all of the major signings, and more. Steve Mears and E.J. Hradek of NHL Network™ will provide video reaction as news develops throughout the day, followed by a live, online wrap-up show at 5:00 p.m. ET. In addition, U.S. viewers will be able to watch HOCKEY CENTRAL Signing Season on NHL.com from 12:00 – 6:00 p.m. ET.

I think that was a joke Francis

I know. I just don't think joking about intentionally injuring humans for the sake of a sports franchise is good humor. :P

@TheFourthPeriod: Sounds like talks between the Canucks and Ryan Miller have been going pretty well. We'll soon see if the right offer is presented tmrw.

So, what does everybody think of Miller in Vancouver? I wonder who they may target to supplement the Sedin's on offense. Decent chance both Horvat and Shinkaruk are there.

I know. I just don't think joking about intentionally injuring humans for the sake of a sports franchise is good humor. :P

@TheFourthPeriod: Sounds like talks between the Canucks and Ryan Miller have been going pretty well. We'll soon see if the right offer is presented tmrw.

So, what does everybody think of Miller in Vancouver? I wonder who they may target to supplement the Sedin's on offense. Decent chance both Horvat and Shinkaruk are there.

It's just exactly the move I would expect Vancouver to make. Which is going to end up being a tire fire in like 3 years when they haven't won a Cup yet.

Well, it goes back to my previous question about how many options he has -- but I think if he signs with Vancouver it means he didn't have many options. They are a team in decline and still pretty far from his wife -- not to mention the tax and other hassles of being on a Canadian team plus being under the Canadian hockey magnifying glass.

Well, it goes back to my previous question about how many options he has -- but I think if he signs with Vancouver it means he didn't have many options. They are a team in decline and still pretty far from his wife -- not to mention the tax and other hassles of being on a Canadian team plus being under the Canadian hockey magnifying glass.

It's maybe not ideal, but it's closer than most cities that would consider him. Vancouver to LA is half the distance of Washington/Pittsburgh to LA.

Vancouver reminds me of the Sabres after the co-caps left--just kind of "bleh" all around. They might make the playoffs, they might not, but they're very unlikely to be making any kind of run in the near future.

It's just exactly the move I would expect Vancouver to make. Which is going to end up being a tire fire in like 3 years when they haven't won a Cup yet.

Definition of clinging on desperately right now. If the Wild are interested I'd pack my bags in a second and take a deal, even if it's for less money. If his major goal is to win a cup as he keeps stating then he needs to leave his wife off the top of the priority list.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.