(OT) Confirmed: Bowe Bergdahl for five Taliban leaders at Gitmo

PASabreFan

I think the quote you are attributing to bob bergdahl is a fake.

I don't believe so. I normally would come to the same conclusion, but it's been reported on too much without snopes or others denying it. It was deleted, but many saw it.

This is about to produce some really interesting debate.

Bergdahl's father posted somethings about freeing the rest of Gitmo detainees and that God will repay for the blood of Afghan children.

Sounds like Bergdahl may have seen some of the nasty ###### that, no doubt, happens with our soldiers overseas. Maybe he wasn't a fan of the murdering and raping of innocent Afghan people and walked away. That doesn't make him a hero, but it doesn't make him a villain, if true.

Can you link to something that shows this as anything other than isolated?

Bob Bergdahl's tweet was saved by numerous sources. There is a groundswell of evidence that makes Bowe Bergsdahl look like something between a deserter and a traitor.

Can you link to something that shows this as anything other than isolated?

Bob Bergdahl's tweet was saved by numerous sources. There is a groundswell of evidence that makes Bowe Bergsdahl look like something between a deserter and a traitor.

Of course the soldiers who were doing exactly what he may have been running from would paint an ugly picture of him. I'm not taking a side. I'm just saying there may be a story we don't and won't know. Because "other than isolated" is something we'll never have. Of course we won't know about the nasty reality of what happens in foreign countries during wartime. It's hidden via a morbid unwritten code.

Bergdahl as an American is entitled to due process. To declare him a traitor and leave him there would violate his rights. They had to bring him back in order to investigate and potentially try him.

Of course I'm sure a lot of these guys are all torn up about that man's rights.

Bergdahl as an American is entitled to due process. To declare him a traitor and leave him there would violate his rights. They had to bring him back in order to investigate and potentially try him.

Of course I'm sure a lot of these guys are all torn up about that man's rights.

No, we're not. ###### him.

Of course the soldiers who were doing exactly what he may have been running from would paint an ugly picture of him. I'm not taking a side. I'm just saying there may be a story we don't and won't know. Because "other than isolated" is something we'll never have. Of course we won't know about the nasty reality of what happens in foreign countries during wartime. It's hidden via a morbid unwritten code.

Most of the soldiers that are "painting the ugly picture of him" are more pissed at the fact that 6 men died searching for him after it came to light that he probably deserted. I don't think that really paints to the picture you have suggested if I may be so bold.

Or....

Maybe he's Steve Ott, and the trade ends up strengthening where he really belongs?

If I'm interpreting this correctly, we gave up 5 guys that were probably of little to no use in gathering intel from (feels weird, as a civilian, using that word) and traded them for a guy who possibly has some with no language barrier, and got them to freely hand him over to us? That was my first thought, anyway.

You skipped right past the part where you don't know crap about the situation and went straight to sentencing him. How unconstitutional of you.

I know I don't post much so it's quite possible you don't know, but I've been a soldier for over 20 years. To assume I "don't know crap about the situation" is quite ignorant of you. I'm actually pretty knowledgeable about it. More so than anyone who posts here except possibly Dwight depending on what his buddy in the 2 shop told him, and even then his information would be second hand. (BTW Dwight, there's not a whole lot of Master Sergeants in the intel world, there's a good chance I know him. If he's stationed at Campbell or Lewis I definately know him.)

My comment to your post was in reference to the "I'm sure they are all broken up about the mans rights". I assumed the they you were referring to was soldiers, of which I am one.

Put down the bottle, take a deep breath, and stop trying so hard to be an ######. Life can't be that bad.

I know I don't post much so it's quite possible you don't know, but I've been a soldier for over 20 years. To assume I "don't know crap about the situation" is quite ignorant of you. I'm actually pretty knowledgeable about it. More so than anyone who posts here except possibly Dwight depending on what his buddy in the 2 shop told him, and even then his information would be second hand. (BTW Dwight, there's not a whole lot of Master Sergeants in the intel world, there's a good chance I know him. If he's stationed at Campbell or Lewis I definately know him.)

My comment to your post was in reference to the "I'm sure they are all broken up about the mans rights". I assumed the they you were referring to was soldiers, of which I am one.

Put down the bottle, take a deep breath, and stop trying so hard to be an ######. Life can't be that bad.

So he's guilty?

If I'm interpreting this correctly, we gave up 5 guys that were probably of little to no use in gathering intel from (feels weird, as a civilian, using that word) and traded them for a guy who possibly has some with no language barrier, and got them to freely hand him over to us? That was my first thought, anyway.

I really haven't looked to deep into the details, but to me it seemed like a guy who was disenchanted with the military and sympathetic to the other's cause. Is it possible the guy was actually treated decent over there and he's going to come back and give us a bunch of BS information and mislead, meanwhile the guys he's sympathetic to just got their crew back for someone that may be a bigger asset to them by trading him away? His heart may just be with his "captors".

It just looks like yahoo city.....I don't have the interest to really look into it too deeply.

I really haven't looked to deep into the details, but to me it seemed like a guy who was disenchanted with the military and sympathetic to the other's cause. Is it possible the guy was actually treated decent over there and he's going to come back and give us a bunch of BS information and mislead, meanwhile the guys he's sympathetic to just got their crew back for someone that may be a bigger asset to them by trading him away? His heart may just be with his "captors".

It just looks like yahoo city.....I don't have the interest to really look into it too deeply.

What about the possibility that at least one of the five have been turned? We're not going to release these guys without thoroughly thinking it through. This thing doesn't go on for five years without our intelligence community being very well aware of a lot of things. As has been suggested several times early in the thread, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see these guys involved in a drone strike somewhere down the line.

What about the possibility that at least one of the five have been turned? We're not going to release these guys without thoroughly thinking it through. This thing doesn't go on for five years without our intelligence community being very well aware of a lot of things. As has been suggested several times early in the thread, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see these guys involved in a drone strike somewhere down the line.

That is my sincere hope.

I will wait for more info on this before finalizing my opinion, but my sincere concern is that we are setting ourselves up to have Americans become much more likely kidnapping targets in certain parts of the world. Works wonders for keeping TV ratings up on slow news days - day 7,098 of Terry Anderson's captivity, let's hear what his son's best friend's neighbor's dog groomer has to say about it; but does little go for anyone else. There has been a value to bad guys knowing that the US doesn't negotiate; I'm afraid that is gone.

That is my sincere hope.

I will wait for more info on this before finalizing my opinion, but my sincere concern is that we are setting ourselves up to have Americans become much more likely kidnapping targets in certain parts of the world. Works wonders for keeping TV ratings up on slow news days - day 7,098 of Terry Anderson's captivity, let's hear what his son's best friend's neighbor's dog groomer has to say about it; but does little go for anyone else. There has been a value to bad guys knowing that the US doesn't negotiate; I'm afraid that is gone.

I imagine we still won't negotiate for hostages. We've always negotiated for POWs. Problem is, asymmetric warfare blurs that line a lot.

I imagine we still won't negotiate for hostages. We've always negotiated for POWs. Problem is, asymmetric warfare blurs that line a lot.

Some people think that this will encourage kidnapping of soldiers - might I'm not sure it will. it took 5 years to get this successful negotiation (from their point of view - let's face it was does a private first class know) and only happened as everyone is leaving Afghanistan

It certainly does.

Again, I'm waiting on more info before finalizing an opinion on this swap, but that is one HUGE potential 'unforseen' consequence of the deal.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.