(OT) Confirmed: Bowe Bergdahl for five Taliban leaders at Gitmo

PASabreFan

At first I thought we gave up too much, but I just read Darcy also got the Taliban's first round pick in 2015 and second in 2016. Nice.

(I guess I should add that, in all seriousness, it's a great day for Bowe and his family. Republicans can crap on it in 3... 2... wait, what's that Jim? They already have? Huh.)

Edited by PASabreFan

At first I thought we gave up too much, but I just read Darcy also got the Taliban's first round pick in 2015 and second in 2016. Nice.

(I guess I should add that, in all seriousness, it's a great day for Bowe and his family. Republicans can crap on it in 3... 2... wait, what's that Jim? They already have? Huh.)

Was this one of the conditions in the Miller trade? Do we get the Blues first this year?

No worries as those who were exchanged have a future date with a drone strike.

Are we really going to believe the Taliban about Bergdahl's alleged deserting? He may have walked off FOB, but it may have been a stupid wandering off and not deserting. The Taliban was breaking international law, so they would obviously say things to excuse their actions.

He was captured by the government we were at war with. Pretty standard POW swap. If the asymmetry of the war on terror means we don't negotiate for our prisoners of war, I suggest we make that more clear when these kids enlist. Particularly by removing all references to "No Man Left Behind" from each service's creed and/or mantras.

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion

He was captured by the government we were at war with. Pretty standard POW swap. If the asymmetry of the war on terror means we don't negotiate for our prisoners of war, I suggest we make that more clear when these kids enlist. Particularly by removing all references to "No Man Left Behind" from each service's creed and/or mantras.

It is definitely a pretty standard swap. I'm just kidding around.

No worries as those who were exchanged have a future date with a drone strike.

Likely. Or tracking chips embedded in them. Or both.

And the one doesn't even seem to like the team he's on.

It would appear not.

Umm..... Nah, not worth it. Carry on.

Are we really going to believe the Taliban about Bergdahl's alleged deserting? He may have walked off FOB, but it may have been a stupid wandering off and not deserting. The Taliban was breaking international law, so they would obviously say things to excuse their actions.

He was reported at the time to have emailed his parents saying he was considering desertion. He mailed back boxes containing his uniform and books Pretty damning events just prior to walking away from his post.

I am friends with an E-8 in Army intel. Served 3 tours over there. He doesn't know this fellow but told me yesterday that the folks who do know him well in Afcrapistan were looking forward to spitting on his grave. For whatever that is worth.

He was reported at the time to have emailed his parents saying he was considering desertion. He mailed back boxes containing his uniform and books Pretty damning events just prior to walking away from his post.

I am friends with an E-8 in Army intel. Served 3 tours over there. He doesn't know this fellow but told me yesterday that the folks who do know him well in Afcrapistan were looking forward to spitting on his grave. For whatever that is worth.

Men died looking for him as well. I read an article by someone in his battalion and they seemed angry with how many lives his desertion cost.

Pretty standard POW exchange. Just needed to get him back on US soil so he can face desertion charges and a firing squad.

I'm not sure how standard it is for 5 high level enemy leaders to be traded for 1 infantry deserter.

I guess you can look at it as, there are now no American POWs from that war and there are still ~ 500 of theirs in Guantanamo.

Something smells fishy...Rover's Morning Glory (morning radio show here in Rochester) had a few people call in, one a fellow soldier that went out on the recovery missions (different unit didn't know Bowe personality) said why in the hell should this deserter see his family again when 6 service men will never be able to see theirs because they had to go out looking for this guy and got killed.

This is about to produce some really interesting debate.

Bergdahl's father posted somethings about freeing the rest of Gitmo detainees and that God will repay for the blood of Afghan children.

Sounds like Bergdahl may have seen some of the nasty ###### that, no doubt, happens with our soldiers overseas. Maybe he wasn't a fan of the murdering and raping of innocent Afghan people and walked away. That doesn't make him a hero, but it doesn't make him a villain, if true.

Bergdahl's father posted somethings about freeing the rest of Gitmo detainees and that God will repay for the blood of Afghan children.

Sounds like Bergdahl may have seen some of the nasty ###### that, no doubt, happens with our soldiers overseas. Maybe he wasn't a fan of the murdering and raping of innocent Afghan people and walked away. That doesn't make him a hero, but it doesn't make him a villain, if true.

Or....

Maybe he's Steve Ott, and the trade ends up strengthening where he really belongs?

I think the quote you are attributing to bob bergdahl is a fake.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.