(OT) Confirmed: Bowe Bergdahl for five Taliban leaders at Gitmo

PASabreFan

Does anyone else find it ironic that these Taliban terrorists are the offspring of the Mujahideen that the United States openly supported in their war against the Soviets.

The United States helped put the Taliban in power and supported them, until their usefulness expired.

To be clear, I am not trolling to get this topic back off / on the rails. Just stating the simple truth.

Oh, believe me these 5 Taliban leaders are not the big shots they are reported to be.

I think the end game is ending the insurgency in Afghanistan, and giving people currently allied with the Taliban a chance to participate in a post-war coalition government. Nothing is going to get much better there without stability.

Does anyone else find it ironic that these Taliban terrorists are the offspring of the Mujahideen that the United States openly supported in their war against the Soviets.

The United States helped put the Taliban in power and supported them, until their usefulness expired.

To be clear, I am not trolling to get this topic back off / on the rails. Just stating the simple truth.

Oh, believe me these 5 Taliban leaders are not the big shots they are reported to be.

The last 25 years have pretty much been spent destroying military and paramilitary groups we created during the Cold War. Iraq, Afganistan, Iraq Part II, even the JNA had us made weapons.

Eisenhower was dead right.

It's also easy to say "we're big brother, our decisions are always right, don't question them. You're lucky we protect you."

Honest analysis of how we got here is a legit discussion.

Quoted before Hank deleted his original post.

So, unless you delete your reply it will be here for posterity.

=====

Now, Hank, I understand your position.

If you were addressing me personally then you are right, I was never over there.

If you were addressing Canada as a whole, Canada lost many of our finest young men and women helping you in that war.

Either way, it was probably best that you thought better of your post and deleted it.

immature reply on my part. Tried deleting it, wasn't quick enough. Sorry buddy.

This is a very emotional subject matter and you, being a soldier, and if I recall correctly, a war veteran, bring a unique prospective to the discussion.

They say that soldiers can't / should not show emotion. I think that is hogwash.

Your post demonstrated your emotional side.

No reason to apologize for that. Although, your thinking better of it shows that you care about not letting your emotions get the better of you, as should be the case for anyone. I, at times, let my emotions get the better of me, including some pretty heated discussions on this board.

It's all good.

Hagel is getting owned by Forbes in the house cmte hearings right now.

No assessment of risk to US lives if these detainees rejoin the fight and we have to back after them? WTF? That is complete incompetents on the part of both the President, who is the Commander and Chief and his immediate subordinates. How the hell do you not take that into consideration and attempt to plan ahead?

And not that I disagree with prisoner exchanges during war, because others have rightly pointed out, prisoner exchanges are a part of history, but to do no homework on post exchange release risk is just straight out dumb.

We can look at this from 20 different angles. The administration is going to need to look smart on this somehow. There is a reason this happened now. Whether or not any of the 5 "turned", I am sure there will be sometime in the near future, a heroic US effort in taking out some target that will be credited to this exchange. The only options that scare me on this is that there is something in the pipeline that is deemed credible and the US is trying to stall it. Who knows.....read a Clancy novel....more credible.....

Didn't see Iraq going down in a matter of 48 hours.....

So we have a literal Islamic battle royal going on right now. The US is supporting all sects in some fashion.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.